Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times

Advertisements

You are suppose to make sure it is clear it is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
I thought it was common sense not to cross a track unless you know that you have room to actually cross the track...especially if you are in traffic with a light ahead of you. You getting stuck is possible, and, foreseeable as a real possibility.

You messed up.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am a little not happy. I was stopped on a street with a 2 track railroad crossing well short of the tracks. There is a stoplight right on the other side of the tracks and when it turned green, I proceeded on the tracks assuming the traffic would clear the other side. Well it didn't clear because somebody wanted to turn left and there was too much oncoming traffic leaving me stuck on the tracks until it cycled again. When it changed back to green, I proceeded across the tracks and made a left turn onto the other street only to see the man in blue on my ass who promptly gave me a $120 moving violation for "railroad violation- stopping on right-of-way". Has anybody ever heard of such BS?? I am thinking about whether it would be worth my time to show up in court (loss of 2 work days at least) or just pay the damn thing. I feel cheated.
As you posted elsewhere,you broke the law and should pay the price....

Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
If you think you were unjustly cited take it to court.

There are many of these type intersections that are very confusing and/or improperly signaled. Many people end up dead simply because of these confusing signals. It is an issue that needs to be addressed and writing tickets is not how to correct the situation.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM

183 posts, read 114,979 times
Quote:
I am a little not happy. I was stopped on a street with a 2 track railroad crossing well short of the tracks. There is a stoplight right on the other side of the tracks and when it turned green, I proceeded on the tracks assuming the traffic would clear the other side. Well it didn't clear because somebody wanted to turn left and there was too much oncoming traffic leaving me stuck on the tracks until it cycled again. When it changed back to green, I proceeded across the tracks and made a left turn onto the other street only to see the man in blue on my ass who promptly gave me a $120 moving violation for "railroad violation- stopping on right-of-way". Has anybody ever heard of such BS?? I am thinking about whether it would be worth my time to show up in court (loss of 2 work days at least) or just pay the damn thing. I feel cheated.

Never hurts to show up in court. If the cop isn't there you're done. If he does show up, you can still make your case and have the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation. If your driving record is good, that's a given. If you can schmooze the judge, all is well.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:45 PM

799 posts, read 1,444,986 times
Quote:

I would pay it so I could show up to work unless it put points on my license or insurance. Then I would fight it for sure.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
You were issued a ticket because you were stopped on the tracks between the "first" and "second" green light periods. In other words, you did/could not proceed off the track crossing because traffic did not clear ahead of you during the "first" green and when the light turned to red you were still on the tracks until the "second" green. Is that what happened? If so...ticket.

A few years ago, a Metrolink train in Southern California hit a car that was on the tracks (although that was on purpose) and the train derailed killing 11 people and injuring 200 others.

Man Faces Charges in Metrolink Collision -- latimes.com

That obviously did not happen here, but you were creating a potential compromise in safety. Many rail transit agencies are required to have prevention programs in place to minimize the likelihood of accidents, or if they happen, the damages. These programs include enforcement (in conjunction with local law enforcement) of laws/rules/regulations at at-grade intersections.

They are usually required by a governing agency, an insurance company, or both because mistakes are expensive to address not only due compensation for injuries or deaths, but also because of the need to fix the damage to assets like the train and the downtime in operations.

Also, keep in mind that funding from outside sources, e.g. federal money granted to the local jurisdiction, often will require that safety be a priority with the beneficiary. Failure to maintain satisfactory safety levels can result in the loss of funding.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I would pay it so I could show up to work unless it put points on my license or insurance. Then I would fight it for sure.
It is a moving for 2 points. I could fight it but probably will just suck it up and pay the thing.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
Guilty, sorry but you would not be here to complain if a train would of been coming. Not sure how it works in your state but in the great state of Florida you just get an attorney and pay a little cash and no points. Maybe a little time on the com****r doing some online traffic school but don't worry, city-data.com will still be here when you are done.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
You were issued a ticket because you were stopped on the tracks between the "first" and "second" green light periods. In other words, you did/could not proceed off the track crossing because traffic did not clear ahead of you during the "first" green and when the light turned to red you were still on the tracks until the "second" green. Is that what happened? If so...ticket.

A few years ago, a Metrolink train in Southern California hit a car that was on the tracks (although that was on purpose) and the train derailed killing 11 people and injuring 200 others.

Man Faces Charges in Metrolink Collision -- latimes.com

That obviously did not happen here, but you were creating a potential compromise in safety. Many rail transit agencies are required to have prevention programs in place to minimize the likelihood of accidents, or if they happen, the damages. These programs include enforcement (in conjunction with local law enforcement) of laws/rules/regulations at at-grade intersections.

They are usually required by a governing agency, an insurance company, or both because mistakes are expensive to address not only due compensation for injuries or deaths, but also because of the need to fix the damage to assets like the train and the downtime in operations.

Also, keep in mind that funding from outside sources, e.g. federal money granted to the local jurisdiction, often will require that safety be a priority with the beneficiary. Failure to maintain satisfactory safety levels can result in the loss of funding.
The first stop is actually a 4 way stop sign on Spring St going to Atlanta Rd. Then on the other side of the tracks is the light. Between the tracks and light only about 3 cars can sit- a 4th will be on the tracks or under the crossing gates. Usually when the light changes green, the traffic clears quickly because there is not usually any traffic coming straight the other way. And usually the left turner will pull out into Atlanta Rd and wait for either the traffic to clear or the light to change so he can complete his turn. But this clod just sat there waiting for the opposite traffic to clear and I had assumed he was going to turn and went through the 4 way stop at Spring St on to the tracks. I drive that way everyday to work and never got stuck on the RR tracks until this. I know it was not the best move in the world but if the bells had started and gates come down, I would have simply escaped by going into the opposite side of Spring St and making a quick right on red to avoid on coming traffic. I know Smyrna is hard up for cash but I pay them plenty in property, ad valoreum and sales taxes already.
Map of Atlanta Rd SE & Spring St SE Smyrna, GA by MapQuest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies