Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
No in October 2006 the market was up more than 65% the loses you speak of still equate to a gain of 15% over Bush's entire term.
Nice try.

In october 2006, was only 1,000 points above January 2000, DOW.

That is a great rate of growth, not!

Given the splurge in credit between 2003-2006, the DOW should have been much higher in October 2006.

And you still fail to deal with the issue of the 30% drop in the DOW between 2007 and 2008.
And you also fail to deal with the further 20% in quarter 4 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
No in October 2006 the market was up more than 65% the loses you speak of still equate to a gain of 15% over Bush's entire term.
Bullsh*t!

The DOW closed at 10,578 on Bush's 1st day (Jan 22, 2001).
The DOW closed at 8,228 on Bush's last day (Jan 21, 2009).

A loss of 2,350 points.
If you call that a 15% gain, you are REALLY bad at math.

INDU - Dow Jones Industrial Average Historical Stock Quote - CNNMoney.com

Ken

Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,581 times
Like I said in the begining of this thread, Unless you trade the market on a daily basis you are just guessing why it goes up and down. And remember, I said if you listen to the MSM (Fox, CNBC and the rest of them) you will be wrong 90% of the time.

Now you can all carry on how my president is better than yours, mine made the market go up and yours made it tank, bla bla bla! The market pays little attention to the POTUS and MSM. Traders just trade what they see. And they see charts on monitors that tell them where an equity might move and try to filter out all the noise that you are all obsessing over. Yes traders are aware of the news and what happens in world politics but sometimes they just use it for an excuse to take profits. And true, lately a weak dollar has helped the market go up.

And here is another big surprise for you, the market is manipulated big time. So be careful. By the way, I made some of my best money trading the market in the fall of 08'. Infact it was almost easy. Sometimes I really miss those days. I get bored if the market goes up day after day.

So be careful, the stock market takes no prisoners!!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
the point is that a high stock market is actually not a good thing

look at history people (not dem-vs-rep)

prices on almost everything tripled (and insome cases quadrupled) during the 80's, 90's and early 00's

stock market went from 1000 to 14000,,,when is SHOULD BE AROUND 4500-5000

The bg gains during reagan/bush1/clinton/bush2 were not good for america, especially its people

you might ask why I say thins:....because as the stockmarket (profits) increase so does the prices of things...ie the cost of living....................why should a midsize chevy BRAND NEW in 1970 be 2500, but now be 22k....why should a house that was 150k in 1995 be 450k in 2005.............................................. ....why..................because the VALUE of the DOLLAR is in the TOILET

Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the point is that a high stock market is actually not a good thing

look at history people (not dem-vs-rep)

prices on almost everything tripled (and insome cases quadrupled) during the 80's, 90's and early 00's

stock market went from 1000 to 14000,,,when is SHOULD BE AROUND 4500-5000

The bg gains during reagan/bush1/clinton/bush2 were not good for america, especially its people

you might ask why I say thins:....because as the stockmarket (profits) increase so does the prices of things...ie the cost of living....................why should a midsize chevy BRAND NEW in 1970 be 2500, but now be 22k....why should a house that was 150k in 1995 be 450k in 2005.............................................. ....why..................because the VALUE of the DOLLAR is in the TOILET
Wistfully thinking about what prices goods/services ought to be is beside the point.

The fact of the matter is that the prices are what they are - and the value of the market at a point in time is the price you pay.

The fact of the matter is that the market lost 30% of it's value in one years between 2007 and 2008.
And it lost a further 20% of it's value in quarter 2008.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Like I said in the begining of this thread, Unless you trade the market on a daily basis you are just guessing why it goes up and down. And remember, I said if you listen to the MSM (Fox, CNBC and the rest of them) you will be wrong 90% of the time.

Now you can all carry on how my president is better than yours, mine made the market go up and yours made it tank, bla bla bla! The market pays little attention to the POTUS and MSM. Traders just trade what they see. And they see charts on monitors that tell them where an equity might move and try to filter out all the noise that you are all obsessing over. Yes traders are aware of the news and what happens in world politics but sometimes they just use it for an excuse to take profits. And true, lately a weak dollar has helped the market go up.

And here is another big surprise for you, the market is manipulated big time. So be careful. By the way, I made some of my best money trading the market in the fall of 08'. Infact it was almost easy. Sometimes I really miss those days. I get bored if the market goes up day after day.

So be careful, the stock market takes no prisoners!!
To a large extent you are correct - however the repubes here insist on stating that if the market moves down, it's Obama's fault.

I would take issue with your point about the effect of govt policy on the market.
For example the spike in the oil price when it hit $147 per barrel, I believe was manipulation by the speculators, premised upon a political/economic decision.

But by and large I agree with the points that you make.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Tell THAT to the thousands of auto workers who got to keep jobs thanks to the success of the Cash for Clunkers program.
The PROGRAM lasted, what? A few weeks? Up to $4500 and the car had to qualify. Glad it helped only one very unionized sector. If your job isn't necessary, too bad. Get over it. Others who don't work under unions deal with it all the time.

Quote:
Tell THAT to the Real Estate Agents, etc. who are still employed and selling homes thanks to the Tax Credit for first time home buyers.
Which is what? Up to $8K? Helps out only ONE sector of the population and I'm sorry, if you need an $8K tax credit to buy a home, you probably shouldn't have bought the home. And what most do not understand is that it is a tax CREDIT, not $8K in your pocket.

Quote:
Tell THAT to the many banks and financial companies, who didn't go out of business, thanks to the Stimulus.
Which is just as dumb. Let them fall. Let them figure out how to reorganize their millions of dollars in bonuses that they hand out every years.

Quote:
Tell THAT to the thousands and thousands of General Motors employees, who still have jobs, thanks to Obama's decision to bail out GM, and allow it to restructure into a healthier company.
Again, if you can't run your business, perhaps you shouldn't BE in business.

Quote:
Next time ... try completing the ENTIRE sentence, which is: "OBAMA SPENDS TO FIX THE ECONOMIC DISASTER WHICH YOUR PRESIDENT BUSH CREATED!"
He's not fixing anything. He's PLUGGING things up until the next union/no personal responsibility group cries in their cheerios.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Bullsh*t!

The DOW closed at 10,578 on Bush's 1st day (Jan 22, 2001).
The DOW closed at 8,228 on Bush's last day (Jan 21, 2009).

A loss of 2,350 points.
If you call that a 15% gain, you are REALLY bad at math.

INDU - Dow Jones Industrial Average Historical Stock Quote - CNNMoney.com

Ken

LOL that is not the way averages are figured out. Nor how % is.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Of course things were good while Bush was in office. the house of cards didnt start coming down until near the end of his second term. At which point he signed legislation -- introduced by NANCY PELOSI and cosponsored entirely by Democrats -- that put new restrictions on Fannie and Freddie.
Nope. Bush proposed regulation of Fannie and Freddie as early as 2003.

New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - The New York Times

Quote:
”These two entities — Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — are not facing any kind of financial crisis,” said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ”The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.”
Representative Melvin L. Watt, Democrat of North Carolina, agreed.

Quote:
”I don’t see much other than a shell game going on here, moving something from one agency to another and in the process weakening the bargaining power of poorer families and their ability to get affordable housing,” Mr. Watt said.

Hardly a Nancy Pelosi idea.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
The market going up is "BUBBLE".

The fundamentals are not up..some are down in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies