Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I won't buy anymore gold right now. I'm otherwise a broke grad student but I bought most of my gold in the 500-600 range, while everyone else was flippin' homes. I'd laugh in these peoples' faces, but only if I'm packing heat, just incase. I just thought your advice based on previous data was interesting.
Keep laughing: you're making a couple of hundred, or thousand dollars depending on how much you bought, while the flippers made tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands per flip.

Yes, historical data is always interesting. Expecially, because last March, when gold broke 1000 people were screaming about gold going to 3000 or more. You know, just like you are now. But heck, you never know. Hold onto your coins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Keep laughing: you're making a couple of hundred, or thousand dollars depending on how much you bought, while the flippers made tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands per flip.

Yes, historical data is always interesting. Expecially, because last March, when gold broke 1000 people were screaming about gold going to 3000 or more. You know, just like you are now. But heck, you never know. Hold onto your coins.
Percentage wise I've already made more than most flippers ever hoped to make. Unlike flippers I don't have to declare gold coins sold as capital gains.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Per developing story on Drudge:

ARAB STATES LAUNCH SECRET MOVES WITH CHINA, RUSSIA, FRANCE TO STOP USING DOLLAR FOR OIL TRADING...

Story is here: The demise of the dollar - Business News, Business - The Independent
Good. Maybe now we can get off the dollar and onto a real currency like the Euro!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Percentage wise I've already made more than most flippers ever hoped to make. Unlike flippers I don't have to declare gold coins sold as capital gains.
Then you must have taken a loan to buy gold. I don't consider that a very good move considering you are paying interest on the loan, and the price of gold has gone up very slowly. In 2005 the flippers were pulling in 500%+ profits routinely, and sometimes much more. Leverage, my friend, leverage... However, people almost never borrow money to buy gold.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Then you must have taken a loan to buy gold. I don't consider that a very good move considering you are paying interest on the loan, and the price of gold has gone up very slowly. In 2005 the flippers were pulling in 500%+ profits routinely, and sometimes much more. Leverage, my friend, leverage... However, people almost never borrow money to buy gold.
Leverage also wiped them out financially. I'm talking about gains made on their risk capital. Unlike residential real estate, gold never depreciates in value and doesn't require maintenance.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
If you stop and think about it, this would make sense. The decline of western economic power and the rise of the east kind of dictates this kind of move. It makes no sense, if you are a seller of oil, to price it dollars exclusive when more and more of it is being sold to countries that have Yuans and Euros. It would be like owning a business in an American city where your customers are 90% Americans and pricing your goods in Pesos. You want to price your things in the currencies your biggest customers use. For a long time the USA was the big boy when it came to buying oil but China and India are taking our place at the buy window.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
That's right KevK. There's some new boys on the block and they have some power.
Seems their power IS swaying things.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Leverage also wiped them out financially. I'm talking about gains made on their risk capital. Unlike residential real estate, gold never depreciates in value and doesn't require maintenance.
Some lost, but most were smart enough to sell their properties. After all "flipping" means just that: you buy one, or build one, and then sell it for profit. No maintenance needed. Buy, and sell, buy and sell....No hoarding.

Gold never depreciates??? In 1980, gold was trading at $850, and it lost $200 in one month. In 1995 it was around $300.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Some lost, but most were smart enough to sell their properties. After all "flipping" means just that: you buy one, or build one, and then sell it for profit. No maintenance needed. Buy, and sell, buy and sell....No hoarding.

Gold never depreciates??? In 1980, gold was trading at $850, and it lost $200 in one month. In 1995 it was around $300.
If you owned gold during the 70's, you made more than a flipper did, even with all of their leverage. End of story. G'night!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Do keep in mind that with the US being the world's largest economy, our dropping would not only affect us but our traders/competitors alike.

China hates that they own so much US debt (understandably) and they want to diversify, but this is not an overnight affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies