Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I think that one of the biggest lessons you learn when living in a foreign country, is that you see your native country from a new perspective - and naturally become critical of the views of those who can't empathize.

Where are you in Asia? I have been all over Southeast Asia and I can understand the attraction in living in some of those countries, but its not all roses wherever you live. I think your critisicm of the US is a little unfair, but each to his/her own.
Compare to USA today to the USA of the 80s or 70s, even the 90s. It's gotten much, much worse in almost every way.

Do not compare the USA to other countries. Compare the USA to itself. Look at what the USA is doing to itself over the yers. Who cares about comparing it to other countries? What's the point?

If you have not spent time in a country, you do not know it anyway and have no room to talk. So why should I open up the discussion for a bunch of people to start talking crap about places they know nothing about?

The people of this forum will arrogantly slam the country I am in now, even though they probably know almost nothing about it. Most people on this forum are Americans after all, therefore they hold strong opinions about things they know almost nothing about.

I am living in the land hot ladies, hot neon lights, and hot and spicy food. If you all want to visit me here i'll show you paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I find it hard to discuss these topics, you never get anywhere in these discussions, someone always takes offence, takes it personal... But having said that, unless you've lived anyplace you really can't judge a country or its people.
If I compare the US of the mid eighties to now, it has gotten bad, ..used to be the land of opportunities and now it's just another land..I moved back to Europe in 06 and Europe's gone downhill too.... there may be very few euthopias left in the world.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 10-07-2009 at 05:14 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 06:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,151 times
There are lots of Utopias in this world.

The Utopias can be found in developing countries. Away from the materialism and BS of places like the USA and Europe.

If you want to find Utopia. You must give up the notions of western-style comforts and living standards.

It's hard to find utopia when utopia comes with a huge price tag, utopia cn be found in the faces of the people, in the way society works, in the relationships you make, not in how much money you make or how nice your house is.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Compare to USA today to the USA of the 80s or 70s, even the 90s. It's gotten much, much worse in almost every way.

Do not compare the USA to other countries. Compare the USA to itself. Look at what the USA is doing to itself over the yers. Who cares about comparing it to other countries? What's the point?

If you have not spent time in a country, you do not know it anyway and have no room to talk. So why should I open up the discussion for a bunch of people to start talking crap about places they know nothing about?

The people of this forum will arrogantly slam the country I am in now, even though they probably know almost nothing about it. Most people on this forum are Americans after all, therefore they hold strong opinions about things they know almost nothing about.

I am living in the land hot ladies, hot neon lights, and hot and spicy food. If you all want to visit me here i'll show you paradise.
Hot ladies, hot neon lights, and hot spicy foods -- your requirements for paradise.

Glad you found your paradise --- I suspect that what you're looking for cannot be found (legally) in the US.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
There are lots of Utopias in this world.

The Utopias can be found in developing countries. Away from the materialism and BS of places like the USA and Europe.

If you want to find Utopia. You must give up the notions of western-style comforts and living standards.

It's hard to find utopia when utopia comes with a huge price tag, utopia cn be found in the faces of the people, in the way society works, in the relationships you make, not in how much money you make or how nice your house is.
Great way to say it!
America promotes quantity over quality in life. Many Americans jump up and down, waving the flag, and shout that America is the greatest without having a clue to what is happening in other countries. It's noticeable that when looking for a country to compare against, they will often choose those in the Third World, but rarely any other modern, industrial nation.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
Enough with USA bashing,those who don't like it can beat it...

Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
I am living in the land hot ladies, hot neon lights, and hot and spicy food.
Watch out for the lady boys. They are super hard to detect.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
The problem with America right now is that we (the average citizen) are free to do anything the govt. will allow us to do. But we dont control anything the govt. does; and consequently we dont control what we are allowed to do. Yet we are free to do what we are allowed to do. As someone alluded to earlier, its becoming clear that the right prospers by fear mongering and divisive rhetoric. While the left are often enablers, and some left wing Democrats are in the same boat of corporate greed and wealth hoarding that they accuse Republicans of engaging in. -- I suspect that this is why we cannot come to a consensus on health care reform.

With a majority in both the House and Senate, combined with a Democrat President, there is no way that there should be this amount of discord within the health care reform debate. But the problem is that there are both some Democrats and many many Republican lawmakers who are benefiting financially from the current health care system, and are refusing to compromise on reform. Couple this with a Republican party who has made a vow within, to withhold cooperation with the democratic party on ANYTHING (I remember the day that Michael Steel got appointed chairman -- he specifically stated that the Republican party would become "unified") I took this to mean that Republican lawmakers would be required to vote along party lines on EVERYTHING, in the sake of partisanship and party solidarity. So far this has been the case from what I can tell, and it has stagnated ANY legislating. As Clinton said a couple of weeks ago: There is a vast right wing conspiracy to be uncooperative with democrats during this administration. I dont care who wins what, but something needs to be done to give Americans more opportunity and cut financial burdens to a minimum. And initiating a right wing conspiracy against the current administration, for the sake of partisanship, doesnt advance that objective.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-07-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Watch out for the lady boys. They are super hard to detect.
I think you mean they are super hard to detect early....

Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I think you mean they are super hard to detect early....
Beware the kratooie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies