Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times

Advertisements

The worst part is the debt we have entered into, albeit unwillingly, for the majority of us.

It's a big degradation to owe a Communist Country so much money. The US is like a little doggie who will take more treats, and grow so obese that it can hardly beg any more. But never fear ! The China mart innovators will invent an "automated begging" feature, and tack it onto the debt tally. Hello America !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
The worst part is the debt we have entered into, albeit unwillingly, for the majority of us.

It's a big degradation to owe a Communist Country so much money. The US is like a little doggie who will take more treats, and grow so obese that it can hardly beg any more. But never fear ! The China mart innovators will invent an "automated begging" feature, and tack it onto the debt tally. Hello America !

I agree...people keep saying what a "rich" nation we are...but in large part we are only wealthy because of the astronomical amount of debt we have been willing to incur in the process..

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
All nations go to debt to enjoy quality of life.

Enjoy now,pay later...or never...

Debt is not bad. It is a valuable instrument to riches.

Otherwise,we would buy cars in our 40's ...saving money for 15 years to buy them...

Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

Otherwise,we would buy cars in our 40's ...saving money for 15 years to buy them...
Not all quality of life is dependent upon money. In America, maybe so. Quality of life can be attitudes which cost nothing.
Debts are acceptable if the debt can be paid within a reasonable time.
Unfortunately, Americans do think of riches, wealth as the ultimate motivation for being alive. This is why America is a wealthy, but superficial, hollow society.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I'm in an Asian country.

The point is not where I am at now. The point is where the USA is at right now.

Hmmm sounds like the government doesnt pay for all those bills.
Only 4 % in taxes... I wonder if the united states government could ever let that happen. :-)
It cant be China :-)
Might be Japan but not likely.
Might be S.Korea
But Asian country could also mean other countries like phil. india, malasyia.

Maybe they tax everything you buy.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

But thats just it, America has gone into debt because we cherish quantity in life. Still, not all nations incur great debt for a high quality of life. And what are riches if they arent worth anything since being in such astronomical debt offsets almost all riches acquired. I mean technically, we either save 15 years to by a car in our 40's or buy a car we cannot even afford in our 20's and pass the debt incurred from the purchase on to our children. We have opted for the former. In either scenario, time becomes money, but at least in the former scenario we actually own the car that we purchase.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
BTW,no US citizen will pay only 4% in taxes anywhere in the world..

If he retains US citizenship,he is liable to US tax laws,even if he lives in Antarctica..

If he smokes a Cuban cigar there,he can get busted (...theoretically ) upon landing on US soil...

If he denounces USA & acquires local citizenship,he will pay at least 20% in a tax paradise,like Bahamas ,up to 28% in Singapore...

Someting's fishy with that..."4% " thing...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
You say its the Americans fault that the USA has declined and they need to change. What exactly are YOU doing to fix the USA in your Asian paradise? Get off your soupbox and come up with ideas. I am an American who is living in Brazil. I love Brazil, but many of the problems you mentioned are much worst here.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:48 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Not all quality of life is dependent upon money. In America, maybe so. Quality of life can be attitudes which cost nothing.
Debts are acceptable if the debt can be paid within a reasonable time.
Unfortunately, Americans do think of riches, wealth as the ultimate motivation for being alive. This is why America is a wealthy, but superficial, hollow society.
i am so tired of these generalizations! america is a diverse country with all kinds of people in it. we are not all superficial, we are not all greedy, and we are not all irresponsible.

most americans are hard working people who treat their families and their friends well. we, unfortunately, have been put into the position where many jobs were shipped offshore for cheaper labor, as well as cheap labor was allowed to be imported to drive down wages. (all of this by design).

that situation will have to be reversed for the country to experience a significant recovery. we obviously are going to have to put tariffs into place for a period of time, simply due to the fact that we can't compete with 3rd world labor unless we are willing to turn into a 3rd world country. we have resources, particularly oil, natural gas, and coal (yes, i said it) that we can develop. we have productive farmland and a manageable sized population. it isn't all bad for america if we cut out the massive debt spending now and get back on track.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
We let this country go to crap?

So you just take off to Asia? Thanks for helping to rebuild, man.

Everything you posted is grossly exaggerated, I've never experienced what you have obviously and think that despite its problems the USA is still pretty good.
Help "rebuild" how?

The vast majority of the people in the USA are not doing anything to help the situation. Most people do not even acknowledge the problems that exist. The US government itself is screwing over the US people, yet Americans do not seem interested in a political revolution. And the US people are bitterly fighting amongst themselves in an endless left vs. right squable that is so petty and juvenile that it makes me sick to listen to it anymore.

So how exactly can a person rebuild in such a situation? I keep seeing all these abstract suggestions that I should have stayed in the USA to help fix it. But really, I don't think there is anything I can personally do.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Maybe the best thing for me to do is write posts like this to wake people up and make them begin to question the reality that they have created for themselves? I can do this anywhere I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies