Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
maybe, but when you are wiping your tushie with the worthless dollar, gold shall still be worth something tangible.
Not according to the New Agers, who believe that gold's 6,000 year reign is coming to an end. If I had a nickle every time I heard that statement during the world's history...

The fact is that the Chinese are buying up gold and gold mining companies like it's going out of style. I don't think they can be this stupid twice (1st time was buying up lots of Treasuries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Not according to the New Agers, who believe that gold's 6,000 year reign is coming to an end. If I had a nickle every time I heard that statement during the world's history...

The fact is that the Chinese are buying up gold and gold mining companies like it's going out of style. I don't think they can be this stupid twice (1st time was buying up lots of Treasuries).
What do you think they're buying the gold with?

You really think they're stupid?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Default doom and gloom

A couple thoughts:

China, Russia and France, the same countries who violated UN Sanctions with the oil-for-food scandal. This cabal is old.

Saudis and China have huge reserves of dollars, it is not in their best interests to make moves to devalue it.

Our GNP is something like $15T, x3 the amount of the next highest GNP $5T (Japan). That's about twice as much as the next hightest GNP of $3T (UK, France or Germany - one of them). Our economy is still the global power house.

China has just recently re-pegged the Juan to the dollar. This keeps the currency artificially low. I'm not sure how an artificially deflated currency would work in a basket of currencies to trade oil for - it doesnt seem best for free market world trade to use a currency a gov't actively interferes with.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
With the Federal Reserve printing over $600B a year, to give to bankers and brokers who then buy T-bills, the value of the dollar falls due to over supply.

Countries that hold T-bills and dollars are starting to speak up, China for example has lost hundreds of billions of dollars.

Our deficit has increased to $9 Trillion and Obama and Congress has done nothing to slow it down.

Obama is now pushing a Trillion dollar healthcare program and is rubbing the world's concerns about our dollar dropping in their faces. Obama simply doesn't care that the dollar is dropping and the value of other country's holdings is also dropping.
Fear not. Obama will do something about that deficit. Once healthscare and cap and tax get passed, they will become huge revenue sources for the govt, all manifest in taxes on the middle class. Laugh all you want, but later down the line you'll hear the "we misread, miscalculated, it was more complicated" blah blah blah "than we originally thought" and we'll be like Europe, paying 60% in taxes. Oh, but that will go to other social "safety nets" so....maybe it really won't be for deficit reduction. Oh, it matters not. Hope and change.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Wow, enough apologies? What is the timeline for closing the gulags? Is he like Bush where he didn't offer one? What happened to the folks who got p*ssed about Bush not using a timetable for Iraq? The TRAITOR Act is of vital importance, and support of a candidate who endorses it is an easy way to separate the true classical liberals from the neo-liberals (aka Obama/Clinton apologists) and leftist RINOs. Where are the massive protests against Obama's support of the Traitor Act's renewal? Hmmmm? What about Iran? How is Obama going to play that card? A net increase in troops by '10 or '12 will guarantee a loss for many incumbents, especially if they happen to be Democrat. As I've read elsewhere from a poster once, do you honestly think liberals will line up in the rain and long lines to vote for someone they're not enthusiastic about? If the Dems are counting on issuing idle threats such as "Vote for Dems or the Reps win", they're in for a BIG surprise.
Judging by the numerous catchphrase names you are using, I think you are compelled by emotion and don't really understand how national politics works.

You seem to think someone has an idea and then just goes ahead and makes it happen. The system of checks and balances forbids such realities in a representative government.

It takes time, and if you didn't know he was going to phase out Iraq and ramp up Afghanistan, then you weren't paying attention.

Best to you in your future endeavors.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:

I have been buying gold and silver since 1986. it has its ups and downs, but it is still worth more than the dollar will be soon enough.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Judging by the numerous catchphrase names you are using, I think you are compelled by emotion and don't really understand how national politics works.

You seem to think someone has an idea and then just goes ahead and makes it happen. The system of checks and balances forbids such realities in a representative government.

It takes time, and if you didn't know he was going to phase out Iraq and ramp up Afghanistan, then you weren't paying attention.

Best to you in your future endeavors.
The way national politics has worked is rather recent and more of a fad than what is general reality in America. We used to have a cripple in the WH and people used to throw eggs and beat up ex-presidents on the street. Kind of like cabbage patch dolls, people get tired of the "trend" and normality resumes. Obama is triaging the liberals in favor of the moderates. He figures, likely case, he can garner more support from the latter by taking a tough guy stance on quashing civil liberties. He also figures he can have his minions instill fear in the minds of liberals by suggesting that not voting for him automatically implies a vote for the other guys. Appreciate the good luck. Same to you as well!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
The way national politics has worked is rather recent and more of a fad than what is general reality in America. We used to have a cripple in the WH and people used to throw eggs and beat up ex-presidents on the street. Kind of like cabbage patch dolls, people get tired of the "trend" and normality resumes. Obama is triaging the liberals in favor of the moderates. He figures, likely case, he can garner more support from the latter by taking a tough guy stance on quashing civil liberties. He also figures he can have his minions instill fear in the minds of liberals by suggesting that not voting for him automatically implies a vote for the other guys. Appreciate the good luck. Same to you as well!
Please provide evidence for your claims.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:

it was commonly known that fdr was crippled from polio.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You've already concluded with "good luck..." and I did likewise. Just incase: Good luck and it was a pleasure debating with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies