Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:12 PM

24 posts, read 28,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
In theory any "-ism" can be a two-way street. But looking at our history - in practice - it is obvious that for every "-ism" there is usually a group that oppresses and one that is oppressed.

Ageism - generally young against old
Sexism - generally men against women
Ableism - generally able-bodied against disabled
Racism - generally white against non-white

It is what it is.

Cool...we can generalize now?

How about criminals - generally black. I mean it is what it is, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Black Liberation Theology is neither racist or anti-white. BLT asserts the equality of all races. Trinity UCC, Obama's former church, is the largest congregation in a predominately(90%+) white denomination. People practicing an anti-white theology would not voluntarily align themselves with predominately white denomination. Not only are they members of the denomination, but they are voluntarily one of the largest financial backers of the denomination.

The following article was written by a former minister at Trinity UCC.
On Faith Panelists Blog: What's Wrong with Black Liberation Theology? - Susan K. Smith
We have been around this block before. We disagree. This seem pretty anti-white to me but you can go ahead and believe what you want and I can go ahead and believe what I want and everyone else can make up thier own minds:

"Cone defines it as "complete emancipation of black people from white oppression by whatever means black people deem necessary." For Cone, the deeply racist structure of American society leaves blacks with no alternative but radical transformation or social withdrawal. So-called Christianity, as commonly practiced in the United States, is actually the racist Antichrist. "Theologically," Cone affirms, "Malcolm X was not far wrong when he called the white man 'the devil.'" The false Christianity of the white-devil oppressor must be replaced by an authentic Christianity fully identified with the poor and oppressed.[

Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
We have been around this block before. We disagree. This seem pretty anti-white to me but you can go ahead and believe what you want and I can go ahead and believe what I want and everyone else can make up thier own minds:

"Cone defines it as "complete emancipation of black people from white oppression by whatever means black people deem necessary." For Cone, the deeply racist structure of American society leaves blacks with no alternative but radical transformation or social withdrawal. So-called Christianity, as commonly practiced in the United States, is actually the racist Antichrist. "Theologically," Cone affirms, "Malcolm X was not far wrong when he called the white man 'the devil.'" The false Christianity of the white-devil oppressor must be replaced by an authentic Christianity fully identified with the poor and oppressed.[
Yes we have been around this block. As long as you and others continue to accuse Trinity of being anti-white then we will probably go around the block again.

Dr. Cone's comments are directed towards a form of Christianity that declared blacks to be unequal. A form of Christianity that believes that God created blacks to be slaves or servants of whites and that whites were superior to blacks.

Jason Byassee in the Christian Century wrote "Cone told me that when he's asked where his theology is institutionally embodied, he always mentions Trinity." Trinity UCC clearly hasn't social withdrawn as their membership in the UCC can attest, but they have been working on transformations.

A Paradoxical Feeling - Forbes.com

Dr Cone from the Forbes article.

Black liberation theory emerged out of the ministers: out of Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X in the late 1960s.
What we were trying to do is to show that one can be black and Christian at the same time. That one can love oneself as a black person. And also, in fact, that that's the only way you can learn how to love other people.
So black liberation theology is an attempt to bring Martin and Malcolm together. The "black" in black theology stands for Malcolm X. The "theology" in that phrase stands for Martin Luther King. …
King taught us how to be a Christian, to love everybody. And it's important. But Malcolm taught us that you can't love everybody else until you love yourself first.
And so black theology wanted to interpret the Christian gospel in such a way that black people will know that their political and social liberation is identical to the gospel and also identical to them loving themselves. That is, we are a part of God's creation.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinEddie View Post
Cool...we can generalize now?

How about criminals - generally black. I mean it is what it is, right?
With respect to history, my point is indisputable. And no, criminality isn't nor ever has been "generally black". You have no point.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
How is that hate? I think you're just trying to justify something by any means possible.
How is that not hate? Are you totally unaware of the dislike, mistrust, yes....hatred that once existed/exists between Protestants and Roman Catholics?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Yes we have been around this block. As long as you and others continue to accuse Trinity of being anti-white then we will probably go around the block again.

Dr. Cone's comments are directed towards a form of Christianity that declared blacks to be unequal. A form of Christianity that believes that God created blacks to be slaves or servants of whites and that whites were superior to blacks.

Jason Byassee in the Christian Century wrote "Cone told me that when he's asked where his theology is institutionally embodied, he always mentions Trinity." Trinity UCC clearly hasn't social withdrawn as their membership in the UCC can attest, but they have been working on transformations.

A Paradoxical Feeling - Forbes.com

Dr Cone from the Forbes article.

Black liberation theory emerged out of the ministers: out of Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X in the late 1960s.
What we were trying to do is to show that one can be black and Christian at the same time. That one can love oneself as a black person. And also, in fact, that that's the only way you can learn how to love other people.
So black liberation theology is an attempt to bring Martin and Malcolm together. The "black" in black theology stands for Malcolm X. The "theology" in that phrase stands for Martin Luther King. …
King taught us how to be a Christian, to love everybody. And it's important. But Malcolm taught us that you can't love everybody else until you love yourself first.
And so black theology wanted to interpret the Christian gospel in such a way that black people will know that their political and social liberation is identical to the gospel and also identical to them loving themselves. That is, we are a part of God's creation.
You seem pretty racist. Gotta call them as I see them..... It is what it is

Many people really need to brush up on some definitions here

Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
You seem pretty racist. Gotta call them as I see them..... It is what it is

Many people really need to brush up on some definitions here
Yes brush up on the definition.

Merriam-Webster Definition:
rac·ism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

— rac·ist noun or adjective

Which race to do I believe is superior? You won't find where I have ever claimed superiority of any race. Which race have I shown prejudice toward or discriminated against?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Yes brush up on the definition.

Merriam-Webster Definition:
rac·ism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

rac·ist noun or adjective

Which race to do I believe is superior? You won't find where I have ever claimed superiority of any race. Which race have I shown prejudice toward or discriminated against?
Your other posts indicate you support that racist Wright and trinity so you support racism by blacks toward whites...

Yes, the definition

Truth: there are whites that are racist, there are blacks that are racist, there are hispanics that are racist

Stop being an apologist for others racism and a blamer of whites for all racism because you look foolish in doing so....

Old 10-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Your other posts indicate you support that racist Wright and trinity so you support racism by blacks toward whites...

Yes, the definition

Truth: there are whites that are racist, there are blacks that are racist, there are hispanics that are racist

Stop being an apologist for others racism and a blamer of whites for all racism because you look foolish in doing so....
I have never blamed whites for all racism.

Defending Trinity UCC and Rev. Wright against mistaken charges of racism with facts is not racist.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
I have never blamed whites for all racism.

Defending Trinity UCC and Rev. Wright against mistaken charges of racism with facts is not racist.
You don't seem to recognize anti-white sentiment or racism when it exists in the black community. You know a lot about Trinity, Wright, BLT and Cone so you know about all the good things these folks have done especially for blacks. But you refure to see the racism in the things that they say. Trust me. Both Cone and Wright have said some extremely anti-white things. That's what sticks with me.

Maybe you could say, "Yeah, they go a little too far with the rhetoric sometimes but they have done a lot of good". You would sure have a lot more credibility if you did. But to come out and tell us that these guys are about as far from racists as you can get leaves a little bit to be desired by me.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies