Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM

332 posts, read 644,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Today, whites enjoy an unearned privilege as a result of slavery. Simply having white skin in this society affords one greater consideration and certain advantages that blacks don't have.
Yeah I am sure a White pizza delivery guy or bus driver has more advantages and privileges than a multi-millionaire NBA player or rapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Today, whites enjoy an unearned privilege as a result of slavery. Simply having white skin in this society affords one greater consideration and certain advantages that blacks don't have. Blacks continue to be negatively impacted. If this unearned advantage can be removed, then I think it's possible for black people to forgive this country. How that is done is another debate.

Black people will never forget and are reminded of the residual effects of their inferior designation by many whites every day. To suggest that they forget means that you are indifferent to the devastation that such evil has wrought on successive generations of descendants of slaves.

I say Reparations first, then maybe forgiveness.
I say drop dead. My Italian and Irish ancestors had it bad but rose up and worked hard to make it and did.stop whining and crying and get up tomorrow morning and figure out how to make a better life for yourself.whining and complaining is a waste of your time. stop wasting time and do something positive to change your situation. reparations is just begging for a handout and admitting you are useless without free money

Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
What would the reparations be? Our country is about bankrupt as it is. I think the relocation would be the best reparation. Let those who think this country is unfair, to pick another country they would like to move to and they think would be more fair to them, to request help getting to move to that country and a new life without slavery in the past to think about.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Forgiving America for slavery? I guess. It's not like I think about it.

Having people let you forget that their ancestors owned(probably) your ancestors and did untold things to them? Not quite.

Benefiting from the slavery of others? Absolutely. Things have only changed within the past 50 years really to allow people to prosper. Go ahead, ask another minority that isn't black. Trust me, they have tales to tell.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM

All of our ancestors were the minority at some point in history.

If things have changed in the past 50 years for the better than why not build on it and not look back and argue about it. That won't change a thing but get people stuck in the past.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 PM

That's what I said.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
That's what I said.
Thanks and I agree.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Blacks in Cuba and Brazil have forgiven their nations for slavery so why should it be any different here.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM

A lot of blacks in Cuba don't even consider themselves to be African. Go to one of them and tell them that and see what happens, haha. Nice try though.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Forgive? Whatever. I actually had this discussion once with a black fellow a few years ago, and I'll say now what I told him. I won't speak for anyone else, but it'll be a cold day in that certain hot place before I "apologize" for something I didn't and would never do. Are today's whites supposed to hang their heads in shame, going around apologizing for things they never did, to people who never experienced what's being apologized for? Slavery was an atrocious mistake, but no living soul on this planet had anything to do with it. Those who dig up old bones and use them as an excuse to be bitter and vindictive to an entire race, well, that's just a hopelessly pathetic way to go through the only life you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies