Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Hell No! African Americans should never, ever, ever get past the fact that some of their ancestors might have been slaves.

They should stay angry and continue to use something that happened years and years ago an excuse for all of their failings. African Americans are the only race in the history of the world to have ever been mistreated by anyone. They have every right to stay angry and to continue to live on the U.S. Governments dime. After all...life is supposed to be fair, right?
well, it looks like they are not going to be doing it a whole lot longer.

the government gravy train might need to start winding down:
http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...overnment.html

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-27-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:10 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Hell No! African Americans should never, ever, ever get past the fact that some of their ancestors might have been slaves.

They should stay angry and continue to use something that happened years and years ago an excuse for all of their failings. African Americans are the only race in the history of the world to have ever been mistreated by anyone. They have every right to stay angry and to continue to live on the U.S. Governments dime. After all...life is supposed to be fair, right?
Maybe they should return to that African homeland where tribal leaders and Arabs of the area captured them and sold them into slavery. I don't think that one day they just decided to jump some ship and cruise off to the new world.

Where anglos sought out the new world for new adventure, it was the locals who sold their kin into slavery. So don't blame me. I'll have all the empathy required to recognize their plight but none of my ancestors lived in the new world at the time, none owned slaves at that time and certainly none dealt in slave trade from its African origins.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times

YouTube - PJTV's The Hicks File: Another Slavery Apology? Give It A Rest.

PJTV's The Hicks File: Another Slavery Apology? Give It A Rest.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM

26 posts, read 16,504 times
I think they should stop using the term "African"-American, and Just use the term American. So many generations have passed, and so much has changed culturally. No disrespect to Africa, that is their homeland, but then its everybody's homeland. They are just more directly related to the original man. Africans are children of the sun, and every other race in the world stemmed from them ("African"-Americans are simply the most recent, and will probably end up being the last, split). There has been a very long campaign to literally "white-wash" history.

Every other race can trace their roots back to the "old country" be it in Europe or wherever. Except so called African-Americans, because they hit a wall when they get to the southeast coast or the carribean. So this is, by default, their "old country". Black americans have by far the most diverse genome in America, because modern day black americans are a result of a clash of continents (Europe, Americas, and Africa) through the middle passage. They are not exactly the same as modern day Africans, and anybody who has ever done business with Africans can tell you that there is a big difference. Many of them bare the same last names as the founding fathers; Jefferson, Hamilton, Washington, Jackson etc, and don't realize that there is a very real possibility that they are blood descendants of these historical men, due to the fact that they had alot of them "illegitamite" kids with their hundreds of slaves. Slavery was America's first experiment in human eugenics. They were selectively bred (you know like race horses) for physical strength, and endurance, this carries over today in the form of dominance in the NBA and NFL. There is something uniquely American about them that they do not yet, as a whole, realize. The first step is for them to first understand that they are simply "American", which is still a relatively new brand, and stop attatching out-dated and racist labels to themselves. This is the only way for them to rise above the Jungle bunny stereotypes, that are contstantly reinforced by the Tyler Perry's of the world.

I see all of this, and I'm not even black. I'm astonished at the level ignorance and smug attitudes from European-Americans. I thought the American education system was better than that.

Last edited by BuffaloSoldier1076; 03-27-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM

151 posts, read 138,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
No one is living in the past. It's because of our past, we are who we are today. Slavery was just a chapter of opression of blacks in this country. It wasn't until 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed. Way after slavery was abolished.

I know many people would like to take our history and edit it. Forget the bad things and celebrate the good.

You say let's stop living in the past. Ok. We then need to stop celebrating the 4th of July. Christmas...that's a holiday for a man who lived over 2000 years ago.

Point, it's not as simple as you "think" it is. Life is complex.
um, yes you are living in the past. not even your past at that. your ancestors are long since dead. they did what they had to do and that was make sure you didn't get lynched and hung going forward. Now get out there and repay your ancestors by NOT holding on to those stupid Jim Crow grudges that's keeping ALL black people back.

AND nobody is stopping you from NOT celebrating the 4th and Christmas...LOL..you act like BIG BAD WHITEY got a gun to your head for not opening presents....LOL...

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
I don't forgive America for any of the crimes it has committed against black Americans. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever why I--or any black American--should. America doesn't deserve our forgiveness.
but you sho'nuff forgive the IRS for pimping your wallet like a $2 dollar tramp don'tcha?

ok tuff guy.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Actually African Americans should be grateful their ancestors were brought to this country by any means. The alternative would have been that they remained in their respective native countries and seeing the state of many of those countries today AA's are much better off.
This is true. those who understand the Bible know that this was meant to be done and overall Black people in American have prospered greatly because of it.

America is THE home of the MOST intelligent Black people on the planet. Nobody can argue that.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 PM

26 posts, read 16,504 times
Had slavery never brought black people over to the U.S. Then America would have turned out just like canada, bland and swagger-less. Nothing against canada, but it's a two way stree. They benenfited in the long run from being brought to America, and america will forever benefit from the blood sweat and tears of their ancestors.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Neither I nor any of my ancestors captured Negroes in Africa and sold them to the slave ships. THAT was done by other Negro tribes, for the most part. However, sometimes the slave ship crews DID capture the captors and put them in chains, if they didn't have a full boatload.
One might say "poetic justice"...
Neither I nor any of the ancestors I know of ever owned slaves or owned a plantation in the South.
In fact, my entire family history seems to be in Pennsylvania, clear back to when the first of them came ashore in the colonies.
Actually, the history of slavery encompasses ALL races, in ALL periods of history. How far back should we go with apologies and reparations?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
The dude on the 5 dollar bill lost his life by fixing the mistake of the people. Its history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies