Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,347 times

Advertisements

Forgive who? The perps are long dead. Forget? Never..because the past has bearing on the present. It's American history not AA history. If it's irrelevant and we need to forget about it then all of American history is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Nobody alive today was a slave or a slave holder in America.

In fact, my family was still in Europe for another 30 years or so after slavery ended.

Forget about it!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 AM

994 posts, read 724,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Actually, given the US systems of oppression for African Americans, I don't see that much has actually changed, other than the fact that we no longer chain them or put them in force labor. We do deny them a good education, access to livable wages, and shun them from large segments of our communities.
Hogwash.

Nobody denies anybody an education. Everyone is eligible for grants and student loans. There are, in fact, scholarships and race based entrance criteria which advantage blacks. And if you still can't get in, you can go to a community college regardless of your high school records. And community colleges offer remedial classes to bring you up to speed and then provide a means of transferring to a university to complete a 4 year degree.

The only people who don't have a college education in America are those who weren't willing to put forth the effort to get one. There are zero, none, nada racial barriers to becoming a degreed professional in American society.

The same goes for other aspects of society. Not only is it illegal to discriminate against blacks, and not only do people actually sue and win using those laws, but there are programs specifically designed to promote blacks.

You want to say the lifestyle of blacks is no different in 2012 than it was in 1812? That's just patently false.

And by saying it, you incite resentment and promote victimization myths that end up perpetuating the very racial animosty you are decrying.

The opportunities are out there for anybody to be a success, but they won't even look for those opportunities as long as people like you are out there telling them they might as well be slaves.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry
Actually, given the US systems of oppression for African Americans, I don't see that much has actually changed, other than the fact that we no longer chain them or put them in force labor. We do deny them a good education, access to livable wages, and shun them from large segments of our communities.

Where does this happen?

How is it carried out?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,734 times
I think they should try to be as successful as they can be in the country they are lucky to be living in. Maybe they can do as well as the Asians who are doing well in their first generation here.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,371 times
Yes, of course they should.

It can do nothing healthy or positive for them to be hating a bunch of dead Americans for having been supportive of and/or owners of slaves many years ago.

Unforgiveness, this holding of hate inside us is likely to be a cause of disease. This is true for every human. I am convinced that God doesn't want us to forgive just for our soul and eternity, but for the condition of our psyches and bodies right now.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think they should for sure forgive but don't forget.

Simple because if we forget, history may have a tendency to repeat itself.

Let this be a lesson to us all.

By history repeating itself, I assume you mean entire classifications of persons being declared less than human and all sorts of rationalizations coming into play to defend the bigoted reasoning behind it.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Default In your opinion, should African Americans forgive America for slavery?

In my opinion they should just get over it and live in the present time.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I think everyone should make the most of the opportunities that are before them.

It does them no good to hold on to the slavery issue. It ended long ago.

The question may as well be asked.... should the southern states forgive the northern states?
Should the southern states forgive the northern states? Wth?
No,anyone who fought for the confederates or northern states are dead.

Its no good to hold onto the hatred of the north from some southerners.
Let it go,you were never in the war. Geez

And please put that stupid ass flag into the garbage,and light it on fire.
Tired of seeing that flag,I want to see the American flag.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
In my opinion they should just get over it and live in the present time.
Yes,that's true.
But can we also tell those who fly the Confederate flag they lost 147 years ago?
It ain't coming back,face the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies