Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times

Advertisements

Someone must have been bored to kick a 3 year old thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
Yes go to the graveyard and do it proper though. they are all dead

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Should the southern states forgive the northern states? Wth?
No,anyone who fought for the confederates or northern states are dead.

Its no good to hold onto the hatred of the north from some southerners.
Let it go,you were never in the war. Geez

And please put that stupid ass flag into the garbage,and light it on fire.
Tired of seeing that flag,I want to see the American flag.
That's my point.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
1. Stupid poll.

2. Not all people with dark skin are "African American".

3. Not all people with african background came over as slaves. Many came over as free people, and many OWNED slaves.

4. in the 1860 census, there were over 3000 black slaveowners in Louisiana, and over 1000 black slave owners in the rest of the plantation states
http://americancivilwar.com/authors/...laveowners.htm

5. Again, stupid poll.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,504 times
Slavery was a horrible thing. No doubt. BUT...let's not forget that in large part, it was African Chiefs who SOLD their people to the whites for litterally nothing.

I think that blacks fail to realize that a LOT of blame falls on their own ancestors in Africa.

That being said...I think the whole slavery issue continues to be perpetuated by many black leaders. Ones like Sharpton and Jackson...who push 'reparations'.....and try to make blacks believe that they are OWED something. When the truth of the matter is, that until we get ALL Americans thinking that we are equal and are not OWED a damn thing...and we get ALL Americans feeling a responsibility to make their own way in this ciuntry and this life...then we will continue to have racism and resentment on both sides....black and white.

There isn't a man alive in this country who ever held a slave...or whoever BOUGHT a man to work on their farm. And I don't believe that we should be subjected to demands such as 'reparations'. As it stands right now, we have racist black organizations in this country...NAACP...United Negro College Fund...where if there were WHITE organizations like that, they would be OUTLAWED.

Until we start to let the past GO, and move on, and be thankful that we live in the country we live in....we will be at odds.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think they should for sure forgive but don't forget.

Simple because if we forget, history may have a tendency to repeat itself.

Let this be a lesson to us all.

Exactly right on. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What do you think?
What is to forgive? It is a part of history and how life was way back then. No one in this era that I am aware of has had slaves and my family as far back as I have found never even had domestic help let alone slaves.

History cannot be erased as it was but the past, present and future generations need to accept history as it was and quit expecting me or anyone else to feel guilty for history (I was not there when all this happened) and should quit feeling they are "owed" monetary compensation for what happened to their ancestors.

My ancestors are Indian and I don't think anyone owes me anything even though all of my ancestors were imprisoned on reservations and all of their land and rights taken away by the very same ancestors of those who had slaves.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think they should for sure forgive but don't forget.

Simple because if we forget, history may have a tendency to repeat itself.

Let this be a lesson to us all.
It will not be forgotten, it is emblazoned in history books and we are reminded on this forum on a daily basis. Some blacks will never give it up, they use it to play the victim when it is convenient and helpful.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't think the o.p. would have to ask this question if African Americans were enjoying any of the benefits of life in the U.S. to the extent of, say, Japanese Americans. Why not hold a grudge since even though slavery has ended in theory there is still nascent racism rampant in the land. A majority of Americans were never for slavery but it happened. Just because they weren't for enslaving Africans doesn't mean that a majority of white people cared for Africans as people. Nothing has changed. There is nothing to forgive.

H
Slavery was a huge issue back in the day and many of the founding fathers, ie; Ben Franklin, were adomately against it and wanted it outlawed. This was 100 yrs plus before the civil war.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Forgive for what, there is no person alive today that was a slave or slave owner, or even a son of a slave or slave owner, maybe the discrimation of the early/mid 20th century but not slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies