Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
I don't forgive America for any of the crimes it has committed against black Americans. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever why I--or any black American--should. America doesn't deserve our forgiveness.
Tell us how you really feel?? Are you a member of th Black Pather party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes,that's true.
But can we also tell those who fly the Confederate flag they lost 147 years ago?
It ain't coming back,face the facts.
How many Native Americans were murdered under the American flag? Should we not fly it? A flag is a piece of cloth it doesn't really have a meaning unless you want it too My wife's ancestors were slaves, she doesn't think a thing about it and she cars less about the Confederate flag.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What do you think?
They should forgive the CSA.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
[/i]

Where does this happen?

How is it carried out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Nobody denies anybody an education. Everyone is eligible for grants and student loans.
The only people who don't have a college education in America are those who weren't willing to put forth the effort to get one. There are zero, none, nada racial barriers to becoming a degreed professional in American society.

The same goes for other aspects of society. Not only is it illegal to discriminate against blacks, and not only do people actually sue and win using those laws, but there are programs specifically designed to promote blacks.
The opportunities are out there for anybody to be a success, but they won't even look for those opportunities as long as people like you are out there telling them they might as well be slaves.
Glass walls, glass ceilings. Technically, even legally, rhetorically what you write may be true, but if you are a poor person of color -- especially black, where there are generations of social conditioning working on your inner as well as outer life, the barriers exist -- and play upon the child from an early age.

Their schools lack budgets to attract good teachers. Teachers they do attract are usually less capable, have attitudes toward their students that are not nurturing, and have fewer resources to convey lessons to larger class populations. It's easy for children to drop through the cracks and harder still to recover from the fall.

IF they get an education, and the studies show they education they do get rarely qualifies them for good secondary education, their next BIG obstacle is in getting gainful employment with a livable wage. Though the interview process is supposed to be blind, screenings are eventually in person. One need only tour any of the Forbes 10,000 and one quickly discovers the number of blacks are in the distinct minority.

Those that do achieve a level of success in school and work have to "become white."

I know for a fact that if I had been raised as any of my black peers were raised, facing the same obstacles they did in their lives, I would not have achieved what I have -- and I am not noteworthy.

If you are honest with yourselves, you cannot say otherwise.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
It isn't America they aren't forgiving it is white people in general. It is ridiculous to hold grudges against white people alive today for the sins of their ancestors. Many white people alive today even marched right with the blacks along during the Civil Rights Movement. Abe Lincoln was white and he helped abolish slavery. I don't know what the answer is but living in the past is not the right way to go by punishing those of us alive today. This holds true for the native indian argument also.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
How many Native Americans were murdered under the American flag? Should we not fly it? A flag is a piece of cloth it doesn't really have a meaning unless you want it too My wife's ancestors were slaves, she doesn't think a thing about it and she cars less about the Confederate flag.

Exactly! What people fail to realize is that they were in slavery under the American flag much, much longer than they were under the Confederate flag.
The latter only being around for less than five years. Maybe we should get rid of the American flag.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta
I don't forgive America for any of the crimes it has committed against black Americans. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever why I--or any black American--should. America doesn't deserve our forgiveness.

That's your problem and you are the one that has to live with your hate. As for the rest of America, I am sure they could give a $hit.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,764 times
Brynn | Slavery in the Sahel

Slavery never ceased in Africa.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
They should forgive the CSA.

And you should study American history. You may learn a little more than you think you know.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Holding grudges only hurts the person holding them. Yes everybody should forgive everybody; but for your own sakes. I think this is the biggest problem people of any race has. Forget the past and move on to the high calling. Remember, Lots wife looked back.

Now think what the guilt trip is all about.

I go to a church that everybody goes to. It represents many nations, ethnic groups and on and on. Only God can keep all these people together and united. Our pastor was doing what he calls pastoring one day and I saw something I did not understand and had never experienced before. I felt so sorry for the black people in our auditorium. Our pastor does not get involved in politics and I agree with that. Maybe some had wanted him to get involved with local politics. I really did not know what was going on and I cannot tell you what happened that day. I just felt that our black people had somehow been offended and I saw nothing for them to be offended about. What I witnessed was a lot of people feeling helpless and unwanted and unpowerful. It was like they had lost their best friend, their parents and everything else.

So what do you want to say to black people--most of them have never been to Africa any more than I have. You are free just as the rest of us are, but we do not owe you a living. Embrace and welcome your freedom and know that God loves you just as much as He loves anyone else and go out and make it a good day. You don't need the approval of anyone but God. Count your blessings and not the hurts of your ancestors. That is in the past and should never be again. It brought you to a good place. Enjoy the good place and stop defending those that abuse our laws just because you are the same color. You are better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies