Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Liberals/Democrats are a group made up of many different colors and in high numbers of each, something that cannot be said of the GOP.
Hermain Cain?
Colin Powell?
Condoleeza Rice?
for starters,
and those are some high-profile GOPers.

Also, let's see, ever hear of Michael Steele? Alan Keyes?
I'm just naming larger names here, but still sorry to burst your bubble.

Besides, last I checked we didn't have a quota system for political parties.
A party, group, anything isn't "better" simply because it looks like a rainbow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Nailed every single point.
Best post in this whole thread!
Why, thank you, my dear!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, this is making me giggle in the worst way.

And if anyone thinks his color is not a factor in the white-guilt lovefest for him,
and for the minority support of him, you've got another think coming.
Interesting comment; I always hEar about this "white guilt" thing to explain away why whites would vote for him or any other black man, but yet not one person I know that is white and voted for him has any such guilt. I know that I do not, heck my family had zero to do with slavery in the US since none of us were here during that time, Irish/German. What I do find sad is that some of our fellow Americans today still hold the same racial beliefs as some did back in the days of slavery, it is obvious that someone has taught them to hate at an early age and they are either unwilling or simply not smart enough to know that what they believe is 100% WRONG.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The Difference is YOUR GMa WAS White they were Not Slaves! They were Repaying the people for their Passage to the new world & They Knew that as soon as the Bill was paid/contract filled they were FREE! Blacks Worked till they died & even their Children were Slaves. There was No end for Blacks! All bcause of the Color of their skin.... Even if they got their freedom they were sometime sold back into slavery here in the US tracked by bounty hunters. And Whites never wanted to be around them... no respect.
All true and those whites that were color blind paid for it dearly too, sometimes with their lives also.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that Nana was a "slave" to her employers. I think I got side tracked. I was alluding to all those other nationalities were hated when they first came over (some still are) and had to endure crap. Not slavery but all the other predjudicial crap "Americans" can give out.

Isn't it so ironic that not a one of us who isn't pure blooded Native American can be so cruel to others of different cultures?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hermain Cain?
Colin Powell?
Condoleeza Rice?
for starters,
and those are some high-profile GOPers.

Also, let's see, ever hear of Michael Steele? Alan Keyes?
I'm just naming larger names here, but still sorry to burst your bubble.

Besides, last I checked we didn't have a quota system for political parties.
A party, group, anything isn't "better" simply because it looks like a rainbow.
Keep going, yes, I know it is a very short list and I saw how Powell, a man I respect a lot, was treated by the Repubs when he would no longer lie for Dubya.
Thing is, a handfull of blacks in the GOP simply does not compare with the numbers of minorities welcomed and active in the Democratic Party. Just so ya know I am not a Democrat, but I do have eyes. No diveristy does not automatically say they are the better of the two Parties, but it does speak volumes when it comes to what sorts of people find a particular Party as better representing their POV on the issues. Face it the GOP has never made people of color feel welcome, how could it so long as a good number of that same Party stated their open dislike for diversity and anyone not just like them.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM

I always wanted a Colin Powell/Condi Rice ticket. Now those black people I would happily vote for because they knew what they were doing, unlike this bozo in office. If you have "the right stuff", I don't care what color you are!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I always wanted a Colin Powell/Condi Rice ticket. Now those black people I would happily vote for because they knew what they were doing, unlike this bozo in office. If you have "the right stuff", I don't care what color you are!
I could go for Powell, but Condi has no record of her own so would have to think long and hard on that. I disagree on Obama, but there ya go, we cannot agree on everything

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The Difference is YOUR GMa WAS White they were Not Slaves! They were Repaying the people for their Passage to the new world & They Knew that as soon as the Bill was paid/contract filled they were FREE! Blacks Worked till they died & even their Children were Slaves. There was No end for Blacks! All bcause of the Color of their skin.... Even if they got their freedom they were sometime sold back into slavery here in the US tracked by bounty hunters. And Whites never wanted to be around them... no respect.
I hope you realize that not all blacks were slaves in this country. They didn't all come here as slaves. Some came before slavery was adopted and they were indentured servants and worked along side white people who were indentured servants and bought their freedom.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
maybe after white people become slaves
and lose more than half their continental
population to extermination again lol...
Don't know the questions which was an insult, but would the tragic history of Ireland count? It was the open source for 'servants' captured and shipped to be sold to the Americas and other places from before the time of the African trade. One of the favored methods was stealing children out of their beds, the origion of the word 'kidnapping'. Children were favored because they were sold until age 21, but most never lived to see it.

Between open raids, starvation from various causes, and the punishment for political resistance, the native population of Ireland saw their culture and their population stripped of rights and at least that percentage overall perished.

In the carabean where Irish slaves preceeded black ones, Irish surnames abound and in some places Galic is still spoken.

The 'servant trade' consisted of the same ships, and often the same players as the 'slave trade' and before it became cheap enough to use black labor, there were plenty of poor Engllish Irish and Scots who ended up sold in the square for being either poor or politically in the way. The tabbacco fields of Maryland and Virginia were toiled by many indentured slaves, men women and frequently children, whom with a life expency of some two years, were likely never going to see the end of the seven years.

Just pointing out that what became black slavery was born out of the exploitation of the poor and unwanted who were not, and what became unique to it was also born of that. It wasn't that blacks were enslaved because they were blacks, but because they were available for a good price and when they ran away it was easier to catch them.

Why don't we consider that the practice itself is the thing to be studied, and how it is wrong to hold in ownership other *human* beings, and acknowlege that it is a far more complicated story that way. Maybe if we could see it in human terms over race we could actually look at the subject without having to blame people who may have had ancestors on either side of the chains.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I hope you realize that not all blacks were slaves in this country. They didn't all come here as slaves. Some came before slavery was adopted and they were indentured servants and worked along side white people who were indentured servants and bought their freedom.
Even after they had fulfilled their contract & were free by their employers they were often captured & sold into slavery. Brought in by bounty hunters. & the ones that did go onto say owning their own business they were Never treated with respect or equal as there white indentured servants were.

Back in the early 1960 we moved up to DC from Fla until then the only blacks I seen were the mailman & his wife. But in DC I WAS the ONLY White in an ALL Black school! I mostlikely know More about black history that most whites. Back then blacks were not allowed in schools where whites were BUT Not once did they look at me like I didnt belong or treat me differently. Whites think that the Marches & MLK was about blacks wanting Freedom BUT it really wasnt they WERE FREE had been Free for decades at this point BUT they NEVER had Respect. Did you ever see a Bathroom door marked Whites/ Irish / Jews NO You did see White & Colored!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies