Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,587,187 times

Advertisements

We should find out who this person is who filed the suit..and hit him over the head with the tablets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Default Obviously you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
read the bible, it will tell you how it all came about.

I do not argue the bible, my beliefs or GOD.
Certainly you argue the bible and your beliefs.
You did in this post.
You're arguing that your way is the right way and that the rest of us are wrong.

You cannot use a book as proof of itself. That's absurd.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,117,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sorry, i am not a righty in the way of a conservative.

I dont mind the goverment take some to actually run the country, but all else is nothing but theft.

I dont think that religion should be in anyones home that does not want it, just like I feel that the goverment should be allowed to steal more money than it needs to run the country, I also dont think that goverment has any right at all to abridge the freedom of any citizen their constitutional rights at all, to include the 1st 10 Amendments of the Constitution.

btw, tell me how taking money from 1 class of citizens and giving to another class of citizens or countries is operating a country?
Ya know what I consider theft?

The churches TAX FREE status....these SLOBS USE our country, it's services, it's infrastucture all for free.....

And THEN try to use PUBLIC property to promote thier religion ....why not use their own TAX FREE property for their propaganda crap?????

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,488 times
God didn't say those things. Moses broke the first tablet because he misspelled "adultery" and had to go tap out another one. And I do believe in the great provider, but, why havent those tablets been updated, lately ? We would all like to watch how it is done. How about 20 this time.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LOCKLAND - A Lockland resident has filed a lawsuit against the village, claiming a display of the Ten Commandments outside town hall is unconstitutional.
Christopher Knecht wants the sign removed and a court order to prevent any future displays of "religious fables and myths."

Suit: Remove Ten Commandments | Community Press & Recorder | CommunityPress.com

how is it unconstitutional.....

first amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

it is FREE EXERCISE to display it ANYWHERE to include outside a town hall

to remove them would be uncostitutional against the first amendment....nuffsaid

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
obo

916 posts, read 984,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's a religious display.
Perhaps if they counter it with a display of Sharia law, Buddhist tenets, Hindu law, etc. etc. etc. it wouldn't be as offensive.

But it is inappropriate at best.
Our laws weren't built on those principles you mentioned. So nice try, but failed again.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
obo

916 posts, read 984,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
But the legal document for which the below was written... was indeed signed by Congress:

/thread

Personally, I don't care either way because it doesn't affect me. If people's own moral beliefs are so weak that they need a reminder of what their religion dictates (hey, they're the ones in court), then that's on them. In this case, I think that if the display is a part of the structure of the courthouse, then they should stay. Why waste the money? However, if it's just a picture on the wall, it should be taken down. Either that or display the main laws of other religions as well. ((Is it really so hard to treat all religions equally?))
Our country was founded on Judeo Christian philosophy, not the philosophy of those other religions you mentioned.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,664,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrencouragement View Post
Might as well get rid of it, we don't have any morals left anyway.
Maybe YOU don't. Some of us function perfectly well without resorting to some ancient "rules" telling us what is appropriate behavior and what is not. If you and others like you can't figure out what's right and wrong without referring to your moldy old tome of fairy tales, then you've got issues.

That said, don't whack the rest of us over the head with them -- they don't belong in government or public spaces.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,147,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
Our country was founded on Judeo Christian philosophy, not the philosophy of those other religions you mentioned.
To which you missed:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries. "

Treaty of Tripoli - Article 11
Signed by Congress

Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,428,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it is FREE EXERCISE to display it ANYWHERE to include outside a town hall. to remove them would be uncostitutional against the first amendment....nuffsaid
Not nearly enough said. Your free exercise rights are INDIVIDUAL rights. They expire at the tips of your fingers. You DO NOT have the right to reach out and touch ANYONE else with your free exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies