Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:10 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,333 times

Advertisements

I'm 41. Never used any type of illegal drug or smoked. You are not alone. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,186,140 times
I'm 58, and not at all ashamed of where I've been.

I will say, the cocaine and the opium and the psylocybin and the black beauties and the mescaline and the windowpane and the strawberry fields and the barrel acid and the purple microdot and the yellow sunshine and the truckload of pot weren't a problem.

90 proof bourbon damn near killed me.

People in a moral rage should never forget that there was a time not so long ago when whiskey was illegal, and atime when you could get a legal pick-me-up at the local pharmacy laced with cocaine.

Times and attitudes change, so do laws. Across the board legalization for anyone over 21 is the only intelligent way to control drugs. It removes the profit motive from the criminal operations. As long as there is demand, there will be supply. Much better to legalize, control, and tax them than to allow criminals to make obscene sums on money from them.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,333 times
Me thinks you are taking this too personally because of YOUR experiences. No one is getting on their Moral High Horse.

The question was if there was anyone out that had never done illegal drugs. There are lots of folks that have never done illegal drugs. Now you may not agree that they should be illegal -- but that's not the discussion we are having. They ARE ILLEGAL and for many people that's all they need to know when making a decision to try it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm 58, and not at all ashamed of where I've been.

I will say, the cocaine and the opium and the psylocybin and the black beauties and the mescaline and the windowpane and the strawberry fields and the barrel acid and the purple microdot and the yellow sunshine and the truckload of pot weren't a problem.

90 proof bourbon damn near killed me.

People in a moral rage should never forget that there was a time not so long ago when whiskey was illegal, and atime when you could get a legal pick-me-up at the local pharmacy laced with cocaine.

Times and attitudes change, so do laws. Across the board legalization for anyone over 21 is the only intelligent way to control drugs. It removes the profit motive from the criminal operations. As long as there is demand, there will be supply. Much better to legalize, control, and tax them than to allow criminals to make obscene sums on money from them.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Um, well, does it count if you tried it--didn't like it--and never did it again?

How do you know what you don't like, if you don't try it? I know enough that I'm not likely to enjoy any sort of drug, since I haven't liked the few I've had.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
C'mon, 70? A couple of years from now, nursing homes will be filled with tattooed old people, smoking dope and playing World of Warcraft.

But, munchies will be out (Obamacare).

Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Did you ever have a drink of alcohol before you were 21? Did you ever try a cigarette when you were a kid before you were 18?

Odds are you did.

Polls show that over 65% of Americans today smoke Marijuana. Over 35% smoke it on a regular basis (once a week). That puts it on par with alcohol in consumption numbers in this country.

The list has been shown many times of great "pot-heads" in our history, and in our current culture.

I graduated college with a 4.0, and I'm a pot smoker. I have a great job, I have a great kid, I have a good life.
I cant believe 35% smoke pot every week. The other 30% - how frequently? ALL Americans? I know you're not making these up but it's difficult to imagine.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
It's surprising to me just how many people I encounter who eventually reveal that they have at one time consumed illicit narcotics. I'm in my thirties, and even when I was a rock and metal musician, I never touched weed or any other illegal substance. Is it just me or is getting high disturbingly pervasive in our society?

YouTube - Fast Times at Ridgemont High-Spicoli Gets High

I have never been high, I was in the military for awhile, plus raised by a jefferson democrat family, and it also helps that I am allergic to thc as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Never done it. Never will.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 AM

480 posts, read 878,038 times
IN the late 1970s, I recall my dear departed grandfather, who would have turned 100 next year, chastising my uncle for his pot smoking combined with poor grades and lack of motivation. Grandaddy also informed him, "You punks think you discovered something? You don't know squat. This dope ain't nothing compared to what we smoked during WWII."

Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im 35, never used drugs or alcohol of any kind.

Brings up a good point... alcohol, Seems it is as harmful and many drugs.

What about legal drugs... because a company makes money and has a massive lobbying campaign doesn't mean it is healthy.... even if a doctors says it is... When ever a "side effect " is death i'm thinking.... not good.

What about cigarettes? - clearly bad for you, causes 10's of millions of deaths, second hand, first hand its all bad. and is so addictive and made to be that way.

Seems we have too much tolerance for the capitalist side of "drugs"

For the record, I don't smoke, I have tried pot, and coke.... that worked very well for cleaning out my nasal passages but did nothing else, I drink occasionally... 2 beers will make the room spin, I don't take any prescriptions, or over the counter meds.

In defense of those over 70 I bet many have also tried drugs too... my mother tried pot be fore me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies