Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So it's OK if Moore lies as long as he does so confidently?
I watched Moore's film "Sicko" and after hearing how it was full of lies i was amazed at how factual it is. I KNOW it is factual because i have first hand experience of what he covered in the film.
Love it how people come on here calling Moore a liar without any real knowledge of what Moore is saying in his films etc. Hannity is a prime exmple of a broadcaster who repeatedly lies and uses sound bites to scare and brainwash his viewers. So many times i have heard Hannity say things about the British UHC that are so ridiculous that everyone in the UK who has watched it with me asks why the American public fall for this B/S.
Calling Moore a liar just shows complete ignorance on the Topics that Moore covers and it is political leanings that are the reason for the hatred of Moore. The reason i can't stand Hannity is because he has become a religious nut who is intolerant and will say anything to bash Obama and try to get the Republicans re elected...Sad Man...he thinks he is the Messiah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I watched Moore's film "Sicko" and after hearing how it was full of lies i was amazed at how factual it is. I KNOW it is factual because i have first hand experience of what he covered in the film.
Love it how people come on here calling Moore a liar without any real knowledge of what Moore is saying in his films etc. Hannity is a prime exmple of a broadcaster who repeatedly lies and uses sound bites to scare and brainwash his viewers. So many times i have heard Hannity say things about the British UHC that are so ridiculous that everyone in the UK who has watched it with me asks why the American public fall for this B/S.
Calling Moore a liar just shows complete ignorance on the Topics that Moore covers and it is political leanings that are the reason for the hatred of Moore. The reason i can't stand Hannity is because he has become a religious nut who is intolerant and will say anything to bash Obama and try to get the Republicans re elected...Sad Man...he thinks he is the Messiah!
But they're not allowed to see Michael Moore movies... they're a Bad Influence, for exactly the reasons you cite.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The subject Michael Moore and many, many liberals have selected is President Bush Jr. They have, and do, accuse him continually of unspecified deregulation of the banking industry leading to our current financial mess. But that isn't what happened. It's a lie. It's a big lie that is repeated over and over as though fact, but it is a lie. Clinton removed the proven safeguards of the 1933 Banking Act with the disastrous results that we are now realizing. Bush did what he could to prevent the reckless actions at Fannie and Freddie. At the time he was criticized by the left for creating an issue that didn't exist. We can clearly see now that Bush was well ahead of the curve and acting in a responsible way to prevent a disaster.
That's what I used to think about Bush. I wonder why he did this?

"President Bush is determined to end the prejudice against people who want to buy a home but don’t have any money. Since he became president the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has spent more than $120 billion. HUD public-housing projects continue to devastate poor neighborhoods. HUD largesse to local governments continues to finance the confiscation and demolition of private homes, and HUD programs continue to spur fraud and corruption around the nation."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/bovard/bovard8.html

"The National Association of Home Builders, along with the National Association of Realtors and the Mortgage Bankers Association, are drafting a letter to Alphonso Jackson, secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), arguing that middle-income home buyers are the ones that will get hurt by the proposed plan, the NAHB told CNN/Money.

But the groups will warn in the letter that the proposed rules requiring the two GSEs to finance more "affordable housing" may have "unintended consequences," hurting some poor and middle-income people struggling to afford houses, the Journal said."

Home builders fight Bush's low-income housing - Jun. 17, 2004

"In a bid to boost minority homeownership, President Bush will ask Congress for authority to eliminate the down-payment requirement for Federal Housing Administration loans."

USATODAY.com - Bush seeks to increase minority homeownership

Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
I love how people slam Moore. Yet, a man who worked in the health insuance industry was on Bill Maher's show recently and said Moore's movie Sicko was absolutely on the money and that he got it right.

The Insurance companies did a fine job of running a anti-Moore campaign and they were able to brainwash a good portion of Americans. But a lot of us never bought their bullsh*t.

Now, I'm sure the financial industry (which the Insurance companies are nothing if they're not synonymous with the Financial industry) are trying to pull the same routine.

So, just exactly how stupid are Americans? We're finding out, now.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I just can't stand the black or white approach to these talking heads. It's as if you can't support Michael Moore or Hannity without agreeing to everything they say. I think Michael Moore makes strong points but if you criticize anything about him, then you are automatically labeled a Michael Moore hater. I saw Sicko as well. I don't think he lied but I think he didn't provide all the facts either. Moore is extremely biased and manipulative. Case in point, Moore shows a physician practicing in London. The physician drives an Audi, lives in a flat that is 500,000 pounds (close to a million dollars at the time) and earns the American equivalent of 250K per year. I have friends who are physicians that practice in London that drive Suzukis, living in homes that are less than 200,000 pounds and earn less than 165K U.S. dollars. Moore only shows one side and selects a physician with a high income and lifestyle to sell the idea that all physicians in England are well-to-do like him. This is classic Michael Moore. He isn't lying but he doesn't present all the facts either. But rest assured Hannity, Beck and Rush Limbaugh all do the same thing as well. This is why I don't follow any of these talking heads blindly. They all have something to offer but I just don't get caught up in their emotional rhetoric or agendas.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It was amazing to watch Sean Hannity fumbling for answers when he tried to interrogate Michael Moore.
Some examples are....................
At one point Hannity tried to say how he was a devout Catholic who went to Church EVERY Sunday. Moore asked him if he had gone to Church last Sunday and Hannity said yes. Moore asked him what the sermon had been about and Hannity looked like a rabbit in the headlights and said "you". Moore said "you didn't go to church Sunday" and how could Hannity forget as it was only two days ago.
Another Hannity "gaff" was when he told Moore that people should not buy Houses if they can't afford them. Moore told him that many had been "conned" into signing bad agrements. Hannity said HE checked every contract he signed and read everything in the contract and these people should too. Moore asked if he knew what was in his Fox health plan and Hannity said he wasn't bothered about that and he didn't know.
He also told Hannity that the FBI finance experts have said that the sub prime crisis had a very small part in the financial meltdown...Hannity claims the sub prime problem was responsible for the crash in the economy.
Moore showed he had more knowledge of many topics that Hannity tries to slant to his views.
Well Done Michael Moore for putting Hannity in his place
People shouldn't buy houses they can't afford and the only people who were conned are the ones who can't read very well or aren't smart enough to get a lawyer.

Not sure what that has to do with the Fox health plan but whatever.

So one moron made the other guy look like a bigger moron. Way to go.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

459 posts, read 804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I just can't stand the black or white approach to these talking heads. It's as if you can't support Michael Moore or Hannity without agreeing to everything they say. I think Michael Moore makes strong points but if you criticize anything about him, then you are automatically labeled a Michael Moore hater. I saw Sicko as well. I don't think he lied but I think he didn't provide all the facts either. Moore is extremely biased and manipulative. Case in point, Moore shows a physician practicing in London. The physician drives an Audi, lives in a flat that is 500,000 pounds (close to a million dollars at the time) and earns the American equivalent of 250K per year. I have friends who are physicians that practice in London that drive Suzukis, living in homes that are less than 200,000 pounds and earn less than 165K U.S. dollars. Moore only shows one side and selects a physician with a high income and lifestyle to sell the idea that all physicians in England are well-to-do like him. This is classic Michael Moore. He isn't lying but he doesn't present all the facts either. But rest assured Hannity, Beck and Rush Limbaugh all do the same thing as well. This is why I don't follow any of these talking heads blindly. They all have something to offer but I just don't get caught up in their emotional rhetoric or agendas.

Excuse me but Glenn Beck is way more better then any of these fools. He averages 3 million viewers a show, and in a country that has roughly 305 million people thats like 1% of the county that watches him. Thats more then enough to change things with his agenda You all hear me sir. I watch him everyday in my trailor, and yes when he crys I cry, and I can't really read, but its conforting to know that another college drop out can inspire somone like me, to get out of my trailor and make a differance with that special 1% of america. Stay tuned for my first book!! It called "Politics from a trailor"

Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley_man View Post
excuse me but glenn beck is way more better then any of these fools. He averages 3 million viewers a show, and in a country that has roughly 305 million people thats like 1% of the county that watches him. Thats more then enough to change things with his agenda you all hear me sir. I watch him everyday in my trailor, and yes when he crys i cry, and i can't really read, but its conforting to know that another college drop out can inspire somone like me, to get out of my trailor and make a differance with that special 1% of america. Stay tuned for my first book!! It called "politics from a trailor"
lol

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
People shouldn't buy houses they can't afford and the only people who were conned are the ones who can't read very well or aren't smart enough to get a lawyer.

Not sure what that has to do with the Fox health plan but whatever.

So one moron made the other guy look like a bigger moron. Way to go.
What's funny is these same people will extensively research purchasing a car. They will understand their car loan well enough to haggle terms with the dealership but these same people couldn't understand something as simple as adjusted interest rates? In every one of these examples, the person had to agree to the deal. This is just an American concept: blame someone else! What happened to the ideal preached by our grandparents who told us to take responsibility for our actions

Exactly, it's nice to see that some of us get it!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-09-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I love how people slam Moore. Yet, a man who worked in the health insuance industry was on Bill Maher's show recently and said Moore's movie Sicko was absolutely on the money and that he got it right.

The Insurance companies did a fine job of running a anti-Moore campaign and they were able to brainwash a good portion of Americans. But a lot of us never bought their bullsh*t.

Now, I'm sure the financial industry (which the Insurance companies are nothing if they're not synonymous with the Financial industry) are trying to pull the same routine.

So, just exactly how stupid are Americans? We're finding out, now.

i think we already know. moore is a capitalist who pretends to be for the "little guy" yet can't make a film for the "little guy" without charging them to see it. if he was at all sincere, he could use his own money (which he has plenty of) to educate people. of course, that isn't his primary goal and he has a built-in paying audience.

at the same time, we have people complaining about health insurance and decrying how "evil" the insurance companies are, yet these same people are supporting mandatory health insurance for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies