Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,569,249 times

Advertisements

I often wonder because, personally, I think I lean pretty far to the left and I believe the war is 8 years overdue.

We should go full bore into it until Al Qaeda is wiped of he face of the Earth... if that's at all possible...I mean if our country doesn't collapse into an economic tailspin first.

Wondering what others thoughts on this are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
I was supportive of the war efforts in Afghanistan and still am. I think our venture into Iraq hurt us massively in Afghanistan. As far as what to do now. I generally support a continued effort, but I think its very important to do so carefully and with deliberation, the fact this wasn't done over the past 8 years is a big reason we are in the mess we are now.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
I support whatever is the best means to defeat al-Qaeda. Whether that involves a never-ending occupation of Afghanistan or whether we can 'flip' some of the Taliban and leave is something I'm much less clear on. The thing is, the main hornet's nest is on the Pakistani side of the border, but nobody wants to call for an invasion of Pakistan. I get the impression that we're just in Afghan. to look like we're doing something when we aren't. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by djacques; 10-09-2009 at 12:02 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
I'm against all war at all times.
How would you feel if it were your kids getting killed for something you helped to create with ourt bad judgment Iraq.

I assume you're willing to risk your own life and the lives of your kids and extended families to support this war that you believe in, aren't you?

Last edited by chielgirl; 10-08-2009 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I often wonder because, personally, I think I lean pretty far to the left and I believe the war is 8 years overdue.

We should go full bore into it until Al Qaeda is wiped of he face of the Earth... if that's at all possible...I mean if our country doesn't collapse into an economic tailspin first.

Wondering what others thoughts on this are...
The money and resources that were wasted in Iraq should have been used here to begin with, to hunt down the misreable scum that was responsible for 911. If you look back at Bush's speeches at the time, he interwove Iraq and terrorism so closely that at the time people were so riled up they thought Iraq had something to do with it all.

Its about time, I want to see Osama Bin Laden's head on a spike. That will be the only thing that wipes that smug look off his face.

As a Democrat I'm not against all spending on war, it just needs to MEAN something. All those people that died that day, their deaths have not been answered and they won't be until the people responsible are brought to some kind of justice. Personally I am hoping Osama is shot trying to escape or slips in the shower and breaks his neck but he needs to stand on the National stage and answer for the innocent lives he took.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
I did initially but not anymore. It's too costly and has turned into Nation building. This Government we are proping up does not enjoy majority support.
The Taliban is in control of 80% of the Country and Al Queda has not returned to these areas according to the US military analysts.

Pull out but maintain a quick strike force in the area.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I did initially but not anymore. It's too costly and has turned into Nation building. This Government we are proping up does not enjoy majority support.
The Taliban is in control of 80% of the Country and Al Queda has not returned to these areas according to the US military analysts.

Pull out but maintain a quick strike force in the area.
From what I see in Obama, he will not interfere with the governance (Karzai in this case), instead focus on going after the Mujahideens (AKA Al Qaeda). He may not even concern himself with Taliban, which can be a smart move (as long as they don't "become one" with Al Qaeda).

As far as Al Qaeda is concerned, the biggest issue isn't just to dismantle their organization, but to keep them out of influencing and becoming stronger in Pakistan (and also hurting India, something they've been involved in since the 1980s), which... ultimately will come back to haunt us.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
"Any Democrats Out There That Approve of the War in Afghanistan?"

In principle. What I don't support is how the war has been wage for the last 8 years. The question for me how do we proceed from here, a question that I find woefully of little concern, other than for the purpose of bash Obama, to conservatives around here. So instead of starting yet another thread, how about participating on one of the threads that attempts to discuss what is to be done.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I support fighting them over there and on their home turf rather than over here. And they do understand the use of force, thats the only thing they understand. We have our best people over there and they need to be supported 100% and allowed to win doing whatever it takes to do so.
Liberating Iraq was a nice idea, but you can't force democracy and freedom on a people that don't want it and would prefer to live in barbarism and tyranny. Maybe we've turned a corner in Iraq and might have friendly enemies there, or unfriendly allies, or a people who just want us gone so they can fight among their neighbors like they've always done. But we let Afghanistan simmer and now Obama is just reading from the same playbook as Bush. Listen to your generals if you don't have a clue what to do.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
The need to remove terrorist training facilities and groups that support them? ABSOLUTELY!

The watering down of the Afghani war by diverting assets to the needless war in Iraq? EPIC FAILURE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies