Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Wal-Mart good for America(Please watch Frontline Report before answering)
Yes 16 42.11%
No 22 57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
I always say, if you dont like the company, dont work for them and dont shop there
My sentiments exactly carolina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,247 times
SWB~

That is really sad. I hate what Wally World does to historic downtown areas. I prefer Mom and Pop stores to those giant crap-carriers. Wally World will never see a dime of my money.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times
The old downtowns died because parking became a nightmare and the prices and products couldn't compete. WalMart found a better way to do business. They wouldn't be so succesfull if they weren't delivering what people want.

Incidentally, we are seeing a great downtown revival in our community and others are doing it as well. The old downtowns have to cater to higher end retail, arts, specialty shops, bars and restaurants and entertainment. The old 5 and dimes and hardware stores cannot compete with the big boxes.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
The old downtowns died because parking became a nightmare and the prices and products couldn't compete. WalMart found a better way to do business. They wouldn't be so succesfull if they weren't delivering what people want.

Incidentally, we are seeing a great downtown revival in our community and others are doing it as well. The old downtowns have to cater to higher end retail, arts, specialty shops, bars and restaurants and entertainment. The old 5 and dimes and hardware stores cannot compete with the big boxes.
Again some common sense!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
exactly ozark, if there werent people buying and working then there would be no walmart, target or kmart

Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Default What I've personally experienced @ Walmart was not good.

Where should I begin? Being in the position of a manufacturer? I pay a red blooded American corn raised local an honest wage and I think 12.00 per hour is a fair wage for an apprentice. It is an investment, but how can a person be expected to survive on less? What does Wally pay? Who benefits? What happens when the cost of living is 2 X the average income? I'm also teaching a trade that stimulates the local economy through teaching localization techniques. We will not make any purchases that are not local. If it cannot be manufactured locally, we'll find some one local who can and will. I shopped @ wally's last night. I got robbed and assaulted. I fought back. And I will continue to fight back. Why? This is my neighborhood. My people live here. Because our localities are centers of life. Feed them, and they will thrive. Starve them and they will consume one another until all life is void. Protect them and they will learn to feel safe and protect eachother. Allow violence and they will kill eachother. I made my last trip to wallys. When the product on the shelf has become more important than my children and grandchildrens' safety and I, a 5' tall grandmother of 5 and mother of 4 and my 23 year old daughter and mother of 3 have to fend off the punk boys whos mama didnt teach them to make the right choice lurking @ wallys gang haven, to protect our babies, I get just a little bit ticked off. I'm sick and tired of all of it and I'm going to make a difference. Why not purchase local? It cost less and the money goes right back int the local economy. You dont have to have a degree in economics to figure that out.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post

I'll add that Mom and Pop seem to be doing well as internet based business for niche markets from what I've seen online.

I prefer the old time hardware stores who had plenty of inventory on hand, knew just what I needed, special ordered parts, and gave me options for my projects. Big box hardware might give you a deal on dewalt, but when it comes to the rest, the selection is slim and quality sux. Their lumber is abysmal. The sales staff at home depot are no longer required to be knowledgeable in any subject other than what might be in an aisle.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:01 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsConduct View Post
Why not purchase local? It cost less and the money goes right back int the local economy. You dont have to have a degree in economics to figure that out.
It's pretty hard to make a case that the local stores are more cost competitive than Wal Mart. People may have other valid reasons for shopping there. For example, I buy my meat at a local butcher shop. Higher prices than Wal Mart, but you get what you pay for. Cartons of Dannon Yogurt? A lot cheaper at Wal Mart for the same thing, so I shop there.

As far as the local economy, there is a lot going back to the community. Start with the local taxes that goes to things like the local school system. All of the salaries of all the employees tend to be spent back in the community. Wal Mart, at least in my locale, is always contributing in some way to local events.

And please do a little field trip experiment for me. Go into a local hardware store, for example. Look at what is on the shelves. Things that have instructions written in three or more languages. Things that are shipped from far away places. Look and see what is really local in places like that.

It is kind of like the automotive metality. Why can't there be jobs like back in the fifties? Because things change. So the smaller stores can be profitable, but must find the right marketing nitche that makes people want to shop there instead of the big box stores. Plain and simple.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do not shop Wal-mart. If I want something and cannot afford to buy it somewhere else I do without. I buy local produce in season and shop the local hardware store. It may cost a bit more but the service is worth it.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
There is some commercial wisdom to the effect that it is better to be cheated in the price than in the quality of the merchandise. Likewise, it would be difficult to see the advantage of having a surplus of shoddy goods; but then, perhaps Wal-Mart knows better what is best for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies