Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We shouldn't have to make donations to individual families as we deem appropriate. There should be no need for that. That being said, I attended a fundraiser last week for a family at our church. The dad has cancer and they are wiped out financially.

I don't have time to watch the whole comment tonight, but I agree with the OP that we as a country, and many, many people in it, ought to be ashamed of ourselves for letting this kind of thing happen. I don't understand if people just think this can never happen to them, and it is somehow your own fault if it does. Do they not have a sympathetic bone in their bodies? I just don't get it.
There will always be a need and you are a fool to think that Uncle Sam can solve every problem for every person. What's so wrong with helping out your neighbor, whether their house burned down or their kid is in the hospital or dad lost his job? Why should that help come from far away, from people who don't know you, aren't invested in your community but have problems to solve in their own community? Why should the dollars be diluted and delayed by government when friends, neighbors and communities are right there, know best how to help, know the details of the situation? Yes, people need help, they always will. I'd rather it come from community fundraisers than from some guy in Idaho who pays taxes to Washington, who takes a cut, wastes a lot and then funnels pennies on the dollar to the family who really needs it. He can take the whole dollar and help one of his neighbors instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Honestly? I don't care if the average Joe Republican watched it. I want this nation's legislators to watch it. We already know that an overwhelming majority of Americans want health care reform, and a substantial majority want it to include a public option. It's damn time the suits we send to Washington to represent us, pay attention to what we're saying and actually do something about it.
Does it even matter to you that wherever the public option has been tried it has been an abject failure? The Democrats in Maine have given us Dirigo Choice, i.e., a public option, and after 5 years and 155 million dollars it has managed to insure only about 17000 people and only 4300 of those were uninsured before Dirigo. What makes you think that the Dems in Congress are going to do a better job than the Dems who have controlled the state legislature for the past 40 years?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
There are some simple and cheap ideas that could be implemented to take care of many of the currently un/under-insured.
And they would be......

Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Have the government pay their medical bill as the need arises.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 AM

24 posts, read 28,278 times
Quote:
It's appalling how intentionally ignorant the Right keeps themselves.

So your reason is unintentional?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
Honestly? I don't care if the average Joe Republican watched it. I want this nation's legislators to watch it. We already know that an overwhelming majority of Americans want health care reform, and a substantial majority want it to include a public option. It's damn time the suits we send to Washington to represent us, pay attention to what we're saying and actually do something about it.

Save those tears.
I'm sure some critical piece of information has been left out.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
There will always be a need and you are a fool to think that Uncle Sam can solve every problem for every person. What's so wrong with helping out your neighbor, whether their house burned down or their kid is in the hospital or dad lost his job? Why should that help come from far away, from people who don't know you, aren't invested in your community but have problems to solve in their own community? Why should the dollars be diluted and delayed by government when friends, neighbors and communities are right there, know best how to help, know the details of the situation? Yes, people need help, they always will. I'd rather it come from community fundraisers than from some guy in Idaho who pays taxes to Washington, who takes a cut, wastes a lot and then funnels pennies on the dollar to the family who really needs it. He can take the whole dollar and help one of his neighbors instead.
Finally, some common sense.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The issue is not one family but thousands of families. If I could solve the nation's problems by writing a check out of my account, I would do it. No one has a check account that large.
You make a good point no one has a checking account that large. that is exactly what they are asking us to pay for with the public option. And you are right none of has a check book that large.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And they would be......
Oh geesh, you folks really do need others to do your thinking for you I guess.

Here's a few, Not in any particular order...
1. Torte reform (eliminate unnecessary but precautionary procedures, etc.)
2. Allow interstate insurance market
3. Fairly give coverage to those who have preexisting conditions
4. Make sure people are enrolled in programs they are already qualified for
5. Promote HDHP and MSA's
6. Allow folks to choose which items they want coverage for...shop ala carte from their insurance vendor instead of mandating coverage for things they don't want or need (acupuncture, massage therapy, hearing aides, infertility treatment, vasectomy reversal, pregnancy, abortion, 'tanning bed' therapy, etc.).
7. Make it easier for customers to make better health care choices by seeing up front what the costs will be.
8. Pay docs for results rather than procedures (only really helps if you have torte reform)

There are more but I need to go have breakfast and get my glasses. The point is, start simple and fill all the gaps you can before stepping in with more big government programs.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Oh geesh, you folks really do need others to do your thinking for you I guess.

Here's a few, Not in any particular order...
1. Torte reform (eliminate unnecessary but precautionary procedures, etc.)
2. Allow interstate insurance market
3. Fairly give coverage to those who have preexisting conditions
4. Make sure people are enrolled in programs they are already qualified for
5. Promote HDHP and MSA's
6. Allow folks to choose which items they want coverage for...shop ala carte from their insurance vendor instead of mandating coverage for things they don't want or need (acupuncture, massage therapy, hearing aides, infertility treatment, vasectomy reversal, pregnancy, abortion, 'tanning bed' therapy, etc.).
7. Make it easier for customers to make better health care choices by seeing up front what the costs will be.
8. Pay docs for results rather than procedures (only really helps if you have torte reform)

There are more but I need to go have breakfast and get my glasses. The point is, start simple and fill all the gaps you can before stepping in with more big government programs.
Seems like a really good plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies