Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,579,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
OK. I'll buy those facts. But then CHANGE the name. Don't call a secular holiday "Christmas".

See the absurdity?
I think it's too ingrained socially to change it. I doubt the first thing that pops into many peoples heads when you say 'christmas' is jesus....most people think of family, trees, presents, breaks from school etc etc.

We could always call it Saturnalia...I think that has a far better ring to it than Christmas ever did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,108 times
Okay. I can enjoy 90% of the Christmas songs. Some of them are just beautiful, and inspiring, but I absolutely hate "Grandma Got run Over By A Reindeer." I am irked by The "Wassail Song" and Barbra Streisand singing a jazzed up "Jingle Bells." I actually like the Holiday feeling. I have good memories of it.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Okay. I can enjoy 90% of the Christmas songs. Some of them are just beautiful, and inspiring, but I absolutely hate "Grandma Got run Over By A Reindeer." I am irked by The "Wassail Song" and Barbra Streisand singing a jazzed up "Jingle Bells." I actually like the Holiday feeling. I have good memories of it.
I do too...I love "Baby it's Cold Outside" and I love almost all Holiday movies. I'm a nut from Nov. - Jan

I'm not that touchy when it comes to Holidays though...I got some books from my mom from a black-owned book store a couple of Christmases ago and they guy told me to have a happy Kwanzaa and I just said "you too"; my son's school made dreidels in school and it didn't bother me.

I guess because when I was in school the "offended police" weren't that vocal. Nobody's mother called the school ranting because we played "Silent Night" at the winter concert.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 PM

247 posts, read 379,253 times
I enjoy Christmas music too. I also like the old Christmas movies. My fave is "It's a Wonderful Life", starring Jimmy Stewart.

We have an evergreen in our yard that's about 32 feet tall and every year we decorate it with lights and put a huge bow at the top. Our neighbor owns a boom (used in tree service work) and we use that to get all the way up to the top of the tree with the decorations. There's a whole group of us that spend about 5 hours decorating it just before the football games on Thanksgiving Day.

It's pretty cool. Last year, it even made our local news.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,854,193 times
My forefathers celebrated Yule at winter solstice for centuries before the missionaries showed up, and I'll feel free to take from the holiday what I bloody well please.

Family's nice, giving presents to the kids is fun, good eats and drinks, and the profusion of lights is a much-needed shot in the arm for Scandinavians yearning for days longer than 6 hours.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-13-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 12:48 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,298,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Exactly. O'Reilly was actually proven right, which is the opposite of being a liar!
Thanks brain child!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,531,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
We could always call it Saturnalia...I think that has a far better ring to it than Christmas ever did
No, you don't want to do that; it would open up an entirely different can of worms. People would start expecting to put everything aside for a week or two and have all kinds of orgies.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well my Aunt Margaret soaked hers in wine and/or whiskey, wrapped it up until Christmas....THOSE were good!!

If you're talking about "It's a Wondeful Life"....welllll , let's just say if I watched it I'd lose my fruitcake.

And all the warm fuzzy feelings of Christmas are quite artificial.

Why can't families have warm fuzzy days WITHOUT an excuse?

WITHOUT football?

Without booze?

Without overspending on crap?

WITHOUT domestic violence??
Wow. You've created a whole strawperson nativity scene, here. I'm sorry if your uncle Bob gets hammered and beats the kids. At our house, we're too busy scarfing up the rum-soaked fruitcake...

Old 10-10-2009, 08:50 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I do, and for exactly the same reason that there shouldn't be a Christmas tree at the White House (or any other government facility): because religious symbols don't belong there. You're not going to get any more equality than that; no religious symbols anywhere, at any time. Period.
A tree is not a religious symbol unless you're a Druid.

But thanks for reminding us that it is not only Christians who are confused by this complex holiday.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,615,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Wow. You've created a whole strawperson nativity scene, here. I'm sorry if your uncle Bob gets hammered and beats the kids. At our house, we're too busy scarfing up the rum-soaked fruitcake...

It is sad really that warped minds see this lovely Holiday as something evil or to be avoided. How did so many come to this way of thinking? Maybe they were abused beyond repair at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies