Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispanola View Post
Please post all anti-Christmas conduct and hate on this thread.

It's starting:

Why can't non-Christians just let the Christians have their holiday in peace? Why do so many people have hate? Does anyone make demands of Jews on Yom Kippur? Muslims on Ramadan?

Memo to bigots: Let us celebrate our holiday. Christmas involves Jesus Christ by definition.
People are filled with hate because they are born sinners and spiritually seperated from God. Sin blinds the eyes of the soul, and they cant see the Light or the Truth. You shoudnt be surprised. Jesus said,"the world will hate you on account of me." The world hates Christ because their minds are blind and dark.and sinful. Thats the way the human heart is until they repent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Celebrate all you want - in your home, in your private schools, in your churches - anyplace that is private property. Government-owned property is the wrong place for religious symbols.
You are wrong! Does that mean shopping malls cant display Christmas trees?? How bout manger scenes? You sir are a victim of your own thinking. You have stinking thinking. Take a trip to Washington DC and look at the Lincoln Memorial. On its inside walls you will see the word CREATOR at least once. Who do you think he (Lincoln) is talking about?? The answer is God. You are very ignorant. Go read the Constitution.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM

What part of CHRISTmas do you Neanderthals not understand??

Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, that's your opinion. I don't understand it, but that's okay. I stand by my belief that government property is not the place for religious symbols or prayers.
What part of the word CHRISTmas do you not understand. CHRISTmas is a FEDERAL holiday!!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
name calling and Christ shouldn't go in the same sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
I'm not religious at all..but if somebody wants to decorate with Christmas symbols..then that's fine with me. The funny part a lot of people who are anti-religion still celebrate Christmas or at least accept presents. haha.
I'm religious but I don't have a problem with decroations either as long as they're tastefully done. In my mom neighborhood there's a little median and one of the neighborhood ladies takes a whole slew of junk out there and decorates every year - there's always been an angel and I'm pretty sure the star on top of the tree is the star of David.

I think it's kind of cool but reading this thread I'm wondering if there aren't some people on the block who have a problem with it

Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
You are wrong! Does that mean shopping malls cant display Christmas trees?? How bout manger scenes?
Since when are shopping malls 'government owned'?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
I don't think you are going to get very far in any discussion or argument if you persist in the name calling. As a Christian, I understand Christmas to mean Christ's Mass or a celebration of the birth of Christ Jesus. But I also understand, appreciate and can empathize with those who use the day to celebrate other things, such as winter solstice or simply as a day for the family to gather together. As such, do we really need symbols of our beliefs all over our government and it's buildings? I don't think so.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
The government is permitted to create displays that recognize, and even celebrate, holidays that have religious origins or significance — so long as the displays themselves celebrate the holidays' secular rather than religious aspects. Thus, a governmental holiday display can include religious symbols, but only if the overall display promotes a secular theme and does not send the message that the government endorses or supports a particular faith, or religion generally. The presence of secular holiday symbols as well as religious ones is crucial. A religious holiday symbol, such as a crèche (i.e., a nativity scene), is almost certainly unconstitutional if it stands alone on public property. The same is true of a display consisting wholly of different religions' holiday symbols. Only when religious holiday symbols are paired with secular symbols, and the overall display promotes a unified, secular theme — such as liberty or cultural diversity — will a holiday display pass constitutional muster.

Two U.S. Supreme Court cases involving Christmas crèche displays illustrate the distinction. The Court upheld a city's display of a crche along with a Santa Claus house, reindeer, candy-striped poles, carolers, a giant teddy bear, a wishing well, and various other, secular Christmas symbols in the city's downtown shopping district. But the Court struck down a county's display of a crèche on the main staircase inside its courthouse, where the display's only other elements were poinsettias and a banner reading, "Glory to God in the Highest." Although a sign explained that the crèche in the latter case had been placed by a private group, the Court held that this fact did not cure the violation.

In each case, what mattered was the display's context, not only in terms of the items accompanying the religious symbol, but also the display's location and connection to government. That these two cases involved the same religious holiday symbol but came out differently demonstrates that with governmental holiday displays, the specific facts of the display make all the difference.

Do Christians have a problem with Santa Claus and reindeer displays and such along side of a nativity scene in front of public buildings? Why not do both and make everyone happy.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM

199 posts, read 543,079 times
Quote:
People are filled with hate because they are born sinners and spiritually seperated from God. Sin blinds the eyes of the soul, and they cant see the Light or the Truth. You shoudnt be surprised. Jesus said,"the world will hate you on account of me." The world hates Christ because their minds are blind and dark.and sinful. Thats the way the human heart is until they repent.
We hate christians because you make up a bunch of crap and then call everyone sinners. You get upset when people don't want to live the same life as you. You have no proof that God exists and if you want to find a mind that is "blind and dark and sinful" then look in the mirror.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Today I heard a radio spot for Sams Club advertising holiday shopping, and the holiday catalog.

There's no such holiday called holiday. Christmas is not a 4 letter word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies