Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Well I really do not care who celebrates it as what but as long as we live in a free country we should allow free speech and free access. So many people are going off half nuts this year. Even those who want to make a compromise are told to shut up and sit down. They will have nothing since some do not want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well I really do not care who celebrates it as what but as long as we live in a free country we should allow free speech and free access. So many people are going off half nuts this year. Even those who want to make a compromise are told to shut up and sit down. They will have nothing since some do not want it.

Still, after all these posts and the yearly FAKE war on Christmas...

NOT ONE person has posted what they no longer have due to this "war".

The only thing that has happened is CHANGE...one religion will no longer RULE.

They will have to take their religion off the PUBLIC square and put it back in their homes, on their own property or use their church's TAX SUCKING TAX FREE land to exhibit their FALSE gods and plastic IDOLS.

Everyone can STILL get drunk, overspend, overeat, get stressed out, bake cookies, and watch football and all those other RELIGIOUS things people do at Christmas.

No one has lost anything ....but I learned one thing..."christians" sure can WHINE!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
i watched a Charlie Brown Christmas last night lol for some reason I think I missed the point of it when I was younger; I just liked to watch them dance

Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
i watched a Charlie Brown Christmas last night lol for some reason I think I missed the point of it when I was younger; I just liked to watch them dance
We watched it too. Love that one. Walgreen's has the Charlie Brown Chrismtas tree this year.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 21,147 times
Everyone should read our Bill of Rights. According to them ,our Government shall not establish any one religion, nor prohibit the free expression of religion by a U.S. citizen.
Christmas decorations are an expression of Christians, and have been under fierce attack for years, by zealots who have been spouting a bunch of nonsense about,"tolerance" These people only want others to tolerate whatever they happen to be expressing at the moment. Whether that be religion, sexuality, immigration, or the flavor of the week. They want Christians to be silent, and have been quite effective in getting Christians to shut up. If it were up to them, Christians would once again be fed to the lions. They'd pay to watch.
For years we have seen our rights slowly but surely slip away. And Christians have been silent, not wanting to make trouble. They've been meek, and they have been weak. I can imagine where we would be, if prior generations had thought this way. Pay taxes to a King and country who had no right to expect such a thing. Yeah, right!
I see Christians once again, being told to hush up, and have Christmas in only our homes. Why should we? Absolutely not! We have the same rights as anyone else in our country. We are not insisting that Muslims,Jews,Buddists,Hindis, or atheists, convert. We are exercising an expression of religion. That's all. We are supposed to be able to do that.
The public places belong to the public. The people who are Christians, belong to this public. If that offends the delicate eyes of some, then I suggest THEY STAY home, so as to not to be offended! People who are offended by a tree, a wreath, reindeer, or a Santa, must have really thin skin. Why is that? Bullies everywhere when finally confronted by the ones they attempt to push around, tend to back down. It's going to take Christians everywhere to band together, and confront the bullies who for so long have tried to cram their own selfish agenda down our throats.
The one thing I see that gives me much hope for the future, IS the future. Our children and their children have been watching our inability to insist upon our rights. They are angry that we've not done right by them. By giving in to the bullies of this country, we've thrown away their future rights. Whether it was because we were scared, lazy, or really believed in the, 'Separation of Church and State' hype we were fed as children, religious rights have been eroded.
Just as Reverend Martin Luther King said in one of his last great speeches about seeing the promised land, I can see that people are starting to say,"hey, wait a minute, this isn't right". They are beginning to speak out, stand up, insist on being heard.
Companies, especially retail are starting to respond to the response of Christians, when they find out that store employees are not allowed to say,"Merry Christmas", or have any traditional decorations, because they "might offend". We simply pass the word that if they can make money by using our holiday and not acknowledge it, we won't shop there because WE are offended. Who matters more to the company? People who are offended and don't spend money on a particular holiday, or people who are offended, and DO spend money?
This can be an all out war, which is starting here and now.

Last edited by annacolleen; 12-09-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: inncorrect wording

Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Smile Secular Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by annacolleen View Post
Everyone should read our Bill of Rights. According to them ,our Government shall not establish any one religion, nor prohibit the free expression of religion by a U.S. citizen.
Christmas decorations are an expression of Christians, and have been under fierce attack for years, by zealots who have been spouting a bunch of nonsense about,"tolerance" These people only want others to tolerate whatever they happen to be expressing at the moment. Whether that be religion, sexuality, immigration, or the flavor of the week. They want Christians to be silent, and have been quite effective in getting Christians to shut up. If it were up to them, Christians would once again be fed to the lions. They'd pay to watch.
For years we have seen our rights slowly but surely slip away. And Christians have been silent, not wanting to make trouble. They've been meek, and they have been weak. I can imagine where we would be, if prior generations had thought this way. Pay taxes to a King and country who had no right to expect such a thing. Yeah, right!
I see Christians once again, being told to hush up, and have Christmas in only our homes. Why should we? Absolutely not! We have the same rights as anyone else in our country. We are not insisting that Muslims,Jews,Buddists,Hindis, or atheists, convert. We are exercising an expression of religion. That's all. We are supposed to be able to do that.
The public places belong to the public. The people who are Christians, belong to this public. If that offends the delicate eyes of some, then I suggest THEY STAY home, so as to not to be offended! People who are offended by a tree, a wreath, reindeer, or a Santa, must have really thin skin. Why is that? Bullies everywhere when finally confronted by the ones they attempt to push around, tend to back down. It's going to take Christians everywhere to band together, and confront the bullies who for so long have tried to cram their own selfish agenda down our throats.
The one thing I see that gives me much hope for the future, IS the future. Our children and their children have been watching our inability to insist upon our rights. They are angry that we've not done right by them. By giving in to the bullies of this country, we've thrown away their future rights. Whether it was because we were scared, lazy, or really believed in the, 'Separation of Church and State' hype we were fed as children, religious rights have been eroded.
Just as Reverend Martin Luther King said in one of his last great speeches about seeing the promised land, I can see that people are starting to say,"hey, wait a minute, this isn't right". They are beginning to speak out, stand up, insist on being heard.
Companies, especially retail are starting to respond to the response of Christians, when they find out that store employees are not allowed to say,"Merry Christmas", or have any traditional decorations, because they "might offend". We simply pass the word that if they can make money by using our holiday and not acknowledge it, we won't shop there because WE are offended. Who matters more to the company? People who are offended and don't spend money on a particular holiday, or people who are offended, and DO spend money?
Christians have it tough in America. Especially at x-mas.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
And in this entire long winded rant, you never once listed any rights that you have lost. You still have the right to say Merry Christmas wherever, whenever you want to say it. I still have the right to say Happy Holidays wherever, whenever I want to say it. You still have the right to attend any church, temple or mosque of your choosing and, guess what? So do I! You still have the right to choose to shop or not shop at any store or business for any reason that seems important to you. Guess what - so do I! I do need to ask you. though - who has ever told you that you can't say "Merry Christmas"? I have been told several times that I'm not supposed to say "Happy Holidays". Has someone told you that you can't celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Jesus? I have been told that I shouldn't consider Christmas as a day to get together with family and remembrance of those family members no longer with us. So, please, kindly tell me exactly what rights you think you have lost?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM

And what do YOU lose, by seeing Chrismas decorations? People who are offended by them should just stay home during the holiday season, or maybe get dark glasses so they cannot see them. You can still get drunk, party or anything else you do during this time of year.
We're just tired of all the atheists whining, moaning and groaning about trees and the like.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
And what do YOU lose, by seeing Chrismas decorations? People who are offended by them should just stay home during the holiday season, or maybe get dark glasses so they cannot see them. You can still get drunk, party or anything else you do during this time of year.
We're just tired of all the atheists whining, moaning and groaning about trees and the like.
First, I AM a Christian. I have no problem with seeing Christmas decorations - I have them all over my home, up and down my street on PRIVATE property. You have still to list a single thing you've 'lost' regarding Christmas. My 'problem' is with those who tell me that I MUST say "Merry Christmas" to everyone I meet and that seem to be offended by the simple phrase "Happy Holidays", as if by saying that someone is somehow 'slighting' Christianity, Christmas and Christians. So what are these rights you seem to think you've lost?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM

We all lose a little something. To some people, this isn't anything but an attack on Christians. It may be subtle, but it's still there. In the end though, when Target store employees were directed not to say Merry Christmas, nor was there a decoration in sight, it only harmed the store chain. They lost money. They expected to make money on a Christian holiday. Then turned around and insulted us. There are no free lunches in life. You want to make money? Know your customers. Treat them like they matter. Give them a reason to want to return.
This year, Target stores should make much more, especially after Wal -Mart made their giant mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies