Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

silas777 the op starts a troll thread and skirts around his objections, his fishing hooked nononesenseguy who said it all for him. I hope they both live long enough to see that america will still be free when obama leaves office in 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
silas777 the op starts a troll thread and skirts around his objections, his fishing hooked nononesenseguy who said it all for him. I hope they both live long enough to see that america will still be free when obama leaves office in 8 years.
He'll be leaving in 3 more years... don't worry ! And it's the freedom that will be lost AFTER he leaves office due to the damage he is doing while in office that people are worried about. Why do you think he doesn't want the HC BS enacted until 2013 should it get smashed down our throats ? Because it will be AFTER he is gone or as he would like to think re-elected for his final term. He knows it is going to be a train wreck...

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM

454 posts, read 796,038 times
I would like to thank Jim Beam and AOL for their outstanding contributions to the neenernet.

Just think, ten years ago, angry drunks had to confine their rants to one bar at a time!

Hail Progress!!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I have trouble believing that most, if not all, black people in America are not descendants of slaves in one form or another. How could they not be, barring immigration from other countries post-1865? It's widely-accepted that tracing the roots of African-American's is one of the more difficult tasks in genealogical circles because last names were often taken from slave-owners. As the slave-trade progressed, families were separated, and documentation was scarce, the issue of tracing one's roots is further compounded. Its interesting that this linked story speaks of Michele Obama's ties to slaves, but I'm personally not surprised at all and don't consider it a significant discovery other than the fact that a lot of time was probably dedicated to tracking down all the pertinent family information to make the connection.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Yes, she is really disgusting............

You know who I'm talking about........and it's not her.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
With all the documentation she has tracing her roots, maybe she's angeling for that 40 acres and a mule they never got...
She has Caucasian and Native American blood in her causing her to qualify for the lower tier 20 acres and a burro.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Glory glory Halleluia!! Just when you thought they could not be anymore saintly, we find out the little Mrs' roots lead to the slaves and here she is in the White House !NYT: First lady’s slave roots revealed - The New York Times- msnbc.com So what? What is the significance of it?
Having gotten the wiseazz remark out of my system, I will go to the article to answer your question. The significance of the story is this:

Quote:
She is representative of how we have evolved and who we are,” said Edward Ball, a historian who discovered that he had black relatives, the descendants of his white slave-owning ancestors, when he researched his memoir, “Slaves in the Family.”
We are not separate tribes of Latinos and whites and blacks in America,” Mr. Ball said. “We’ve all mingled, and we have done so for generations.”

Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Actually, most of the articles on this today are not making the big deal about her having SLAVE ancestors (I mean, I'm not saying this prejudicially, but wouldn't almost every African-American person be descended from slaves? (Not Obama himself, since his dad came here from Kenya in the 1950s, but for the most part)), but that she has a WHITE ancestor.

Now honestly, this is a lot more common than it sounds too, and from the articles I see is where Michelle Obama's ancestor came from. Most African-Americans have a white ancestor or two because of the sad fact of slave owners raping the slaves, etc. Again, not trying to sound like a racist here, but if you look at the average black person in the U.S. vs. one in Africa, often the skin tone is slightly lighter, suggesting some small amount of non-black ancestry in the past. There have been a lot of articles on this if you look around.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
False....northern - eastern africans tend to be much lighter than central/western/southern africans...just depends on your ancestry...her family could of been descendants of moors (common day britain, france, italy, sicily-you didn't think that olive skin came from sun tanning over the years did you?)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually, most of the articles on this today are not making the big deal about her having SLAVE ancestors (I mean, I'm not saying this prejudicially, but wouldn't almost every African-American person be descended from slaves? (Not Obama himself, since his dad came here from Kenya in the 1950s, but for the most part)), but that she has a WHITE ancestor.

Now honestly, this is a lot more common than it sounds too, and from the articles I see is where Michelle Obama's ancestor came from. Most African-Americans have a white ancestor or two because of the sad fact of slave owners raping the slaves, etc. Again, not trying to sound like a racist here, but if you look at the average black person in the U.S. vs. one in Africa, often the skin tone is slightly lighter, suggesting some small amount of non-black ancestry in the past. There have been a lot of articles on this if you look around.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Glory glory Halleluia!! Just when you thought they could not be anymore saintly, we find out the little Mrs' roots lead to the slaves and here she is in the White House !NYT: First lady’s slave roots revealed - The New York Times- msnbc.com So what? What is the significance of it?
It was an interesting article for those of us who like both history and geneology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies