Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama himself shocked by the decision?
Yes, Obama himself was bewildered and wondered what drugs the committee is on 165 70.21%
No, Obama felt fully deserving of the award. Whether the award would come was never in question. 70 29.79%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I'm glad he won it, yes, I see the argument well what did he do to earn it...lot's of people try to bring people together, but we need our President to be taken seriously and not being able to get the Olympics I heard was sending a message 'well what can he accomplish?' so the Peace Prize is good PR for us. I'm also glad that Rio got it though (right?) because they have never had one. Although some people are saying they don't have enough money to host it, but if they want it we should let them give it a shot and who cares if some of the glitz and glamor is sacrificed for cost? It's still the Olympics!!!!! I think he does a good job with his speeches, yes actions speak louder than words, but words inspire actions, so I don't think it compromises the integrity of the award.

The President had nothing to do with Chicago getting or not getting the Olympics. The International Olympic Committee snubbed the US Olympic Committee for being so arrogant and incompetently run. There was nothing Obama could have done to change that vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 06:50 AM

757 posts, read 802,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Plans were put in place when Clinton was in office. So much for your failed logic!
I can't help but notice you can not speak to the fact that Obama has kept America safer, longer than Bush did in his first term. As a bleeding heart, tree hugging liberal, I want to tell you I feel your pain!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
I'm hearing he got the prize for "changing the tone". That makes me think it was given to Obama as a comment on the previous administration. That Obama got it is more a comment on Bush and how the world perceived him than on Obama. The Nobel committee is saying we moved from being war exporters to being a part of the peace process....and it's a good thing.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,482 times
PoliticalCartoons.com Cartoon

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I'm hearing he got the prize for "changing the tone". That makes me think it was given to Obama as a comment on the previous administration. That Obama got it is more a comment on Bush and how the world perceived him than on Obama.
Absolutely.

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Congratulations Mr. President.

Yet another nail in the GOP Coffin. Attack him for this and look like your assaulting a Peacemaker. LOL

20,054 posts, read 18,278,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The gasp I heard was a WTF gasp ? Even my wife who is an Obama supporter said BS on this.
That's impossible. How can your wife who is an Obama supporter be gasping at this glorious moment?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obama was nominated when he was 12 days in office, so it shows he had not done anything....what a joke...
The nominating process is an open one. They may be made by former prize recipients, members of any national assembly or congress, university professors in their respective fields, judges in international courts, and also by advisors to the Peace Prize Committee. In 1939, Adolf Hitler was nominated, but no prize at all was awarded that year. In 2009, there were 205 names placed in nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm not blaming Obama, since he didn't choose him self, but this Nobel prize committee is a huge joke...just for the peace prize, in other fields I respect them, but since Carter a well known anti-semitic person won, I started to doubt it, than after Yasser Arafat won, a well known murderer and terrorist won...I stopped believing in this prize.....now the have proven to be a joke!
Actually, Arafat was jointly awarded the Peace Prize (with Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres) in 1994. Carter was the recipient in 2002. You don't seem to be following along with all this as closely as you contend.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Congratulations Mr. President.

Yet another nail in the GOP Coffin. Attack him for this and look like your assaulting a Peacemaker. LOL
People attack Krugman for his idiotic theories and plenty of people support and listen to his opponents. The prize has devolved into the quagmire of politics.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Does anyone else smell the hysterical right's crap cannon ... it's locked and loaded.
I confess my first reaction to the news wasn't to think how great it was for our President to be honored like this - it was "Man, the haters are going to have a cow over this!" And I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why would any US citizen be upset about the price going to the United States?
They're upset about it going to this specific US President.

Here's some additional info on the selection of President Obama:
President Barack Obama on Friday won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

The committee said it attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

"Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play."
Source
It was a difficult decision as the committee had received a record 205 names. The committee unanimously reached consensus on Obama's name.
Source (http://allafrica.com/stories/200910090608.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies