Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama himself shocked by the decision?
Yes, Obama himself was bewildered and wondered what drugs the committee is on 165 70.21%
No, Obama felt fully deserving of the award. Whether the award would come was never in question. 70 29.79%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM

757 posts, read 802,678 times

Advertisements

[quote=summers73;11111810]Ah yes, the climate change debate. Where the conversation devolves into: "Do you have a Ph. D.?" and: "My believer's Ph. D. is bigger than your denier's Ph. D."[/quote

Ya I guess the obvious difference is that one is based in science and the other (deniers) base their opinion in nothing but ignorance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
And throw the best darned baby seal hunts!
I'm sure they kill them humanely, using only fair-trade organic weapons.

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
The far-right wingers comments regarding this USA victory mirror the Taliban comments:

"We have seen no change in his strategy for peace. He has done nothing for peace in Afghanistan. He has not taken a single step for peace in Afghanistan or to make this country stable" - TALIBAN SPOKESMAN ZABIHULLAH MUJAHID

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
"The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to support international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament."

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said in a statement."

"Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

BBC NEWS | Europe | Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
Then there should be a new category:

"And the Nobel Prize for Future Accomplishments goes to....."

Baby Stewy!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post

Ya I guess the obvious difference is that one is based in science and the other (deniers) base their opinion in nothing but ignorance!
A large minority of deniers are also accomplished scientists and publish often. Global warming theory isn't a democracy. The deniers are also more fervent believers of the scientific method to test empirical results and do not believe that correlation equals causation.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
BREAKING NEWS....From the AP....The MOON has surrendered!! Obama has negotiated a peace treaty with the MOON and there will be no more attacks on the MOON by the US.

(That's why he got the prize...I get it now, phew!)

Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 AM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times
I still want someone to tell me how he deserved it over others that have been working in the "trenches" for years and have done more good in that little time than a few speeches and a few promises.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Originally Posted by GreenGene
A surprising but outstanding choice! It's just icing on the cake when I realized that the award was given to him basically for striving to undo what Bush did ... "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

I can't help but be struck with the parallels here.

A US city loses its bid to hold the Olympics, and the right cheers.

A US President wins the Nobel Peace Prize, and the right jeers.

Why does the right hate the US so much?"""""

LOL! If Palin had won the Prize for literature I bet the rightists would be praising the committee and choice no end!
OBTW, she didn't!!!!

But it's fun to see the hatred making them sick!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Many people are obviously playing down or not realising the impact that the arrival of Barack Obama has had everywhere. I stayed up all night when American people were casting their votes. I watched the celebrations with my friends in a pub. I know many people who did the same. I had never witnessed (if only through the media) a more important presidential election in my life.

It wouldn't have happened this way with any other candidate. Many of us were skeptical that a black man could win (in the US or in Europe -racism is a reality everywhere-), we wanted to be wrong and we were happy to be. Even most of the conservative politicians over here were praising his attitude and disposition. You may agree or disagree with his politics and that's a matter of opinion (I personally think he's a vast improvement, and his plans to count on other countries and international organizations are something to be thankful for), but the objective fact remains that the year he won, the world was watching and we were all watching him and no other, and there was hope at last.

Many other individuals have been working hard for decades, living in a state of poverty to help others, but in terms of worldwide relevance and weight, I can't think of a more suitable person right now.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 AM

I can't wait for McBama's 2nd take on recording "Bomb Iran".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies