Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama himself shocked by the decision?
Yes, Obama himself was bewildered and wondered what drugs the committee is on 165 70.21%
No, Obama felt fully deserving of the award. Whether the award would come was never in question. 70 29.79%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
What has gotten better? The Debt down? Unemployment down below when Bush left office? Standard of living improved? Whats better
Obama has done a fantastic job of minimizing the damage done by GWB over the past 8 years.

Face it. All of the whining of the Right has done NOTHING to improve the lives of Americans.

Let's talk truths....the greed of the Right is the very foundation of the state of our economy today. The Right Wingers stood by (and encouraged) sending US jobs to Mexico, India, China & Bangladesh because it "improved" the profit margins of many corporations.

The Right Wing didn't care that 1-2 years ago we were paying upwards of $5.00 per gallon for gas because they all had stock in the oil companies (which saw record profits during that time)

The Right Wing rejoiced when they were flipping properties for massive profits with "stated income" loans. Loan officers made huge commissions and the wholesale loan market made buckets of money by making loans that they knew were questionable but "everyone else is doing it and making $$$"

The Right Wing lies and tells half truths so much that I think that even they are starting to believe themselves....scary.

Obama is a change from this pattern of Big Money making all of the rules and it has the Good Ole Boys running scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Obama? Peace prize?

Last I heard he was thinking about jacking up troop numbers in Afganistan...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Poor babies!

This reminds me of the hurt feelings that would happen at work when someone got promoted and others didn't think that person was "worthy."

Well, here's the one and only "concrete" reason that matters for President Obama to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize: the Norwegian Nobel Committee selected him.
I totally agree. I'm reminded of the drama that goes on every year after the Academy Awards, when millions of Americans get riled up over who won and who lost, making accusations that so-and-so wasn't "worthy" of receiving the award.

The bottom line is that the people who give these awards are the ones who decide who receives them. If someone doesn't like it, they should start their own awards ceremony.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Smile I told my Neighbors about Obama's Win and this is what they said!

YouTube - 4 Laughing Babies

Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is even more humorus when you take into consideration that the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded for Obama's accomplishments between January 20, 2009 and February 1, 2009. According to the Nobel web site all nominations must be made by a February 1st deadline.
Really? You know for a fact that what he did from January 20 to Feburay 1 is all that was considered by the committee? Link. Share.

Quote:
Which begs the question, what were President Obama's accomplishments during this 11 day period that warranted this prize?
1. He wasn't George W. Bush.
2. He changed the tone.

You are one of those Americans who has his head buried so far in the sand that you don't understand how much the rest of the world values that change of tone.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Obama has done a fantastic job of minimizing the damage done by GWB over the past 8 years.

Face it. All of the whining of the Right has done NOTHING to improve the lives of Americans.

Let's talk truths....the greed of the Right is the very foundation of the state of our economy today. The Right Wingers stood by (and encouraged) sending US jobs to Mexico, India, China & Bangladesh because it "improved" the profit margins of many corporations.

The Right Wing didn't care that 1-2 years ago we were paying upwards of $5.00 per gallon for gas because they all had stock in the oil companies (which saw record profits during that time)

The Right Wing rejoiced when they were flipping properties for massive profits with "stated income" loans. Loan officers made huge commissions and the wholesale loan market made buckets of money by making loans that they knew were questionable but "everyone else is doing it and making $$$"

The Right Wing lies and tells half truths so much that I think that even they are starting to believe themselves....scary.

Obama is a change from this pattern of Big Money making all of the rules and it has the Good Ole Boys running scared.
You honestly believe that "the right" are the only culprits here? Someone needs to school you on a few things. Here' i'll give you a hint: Barney Frank. There, that should be more than you can handle. We'll talk oil profits and oil lobbyists once you get a grasp on the housing crisis.

Is there a Stupid Post of the Day button anywhere?

Now, back to the question at hand. What did Barack Obama do to deserve this award?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Obama? Peace prize?

Last I heard he was thinking about jacking up troop numbers in Afganistan...
War is the new peace. Sort of like how 30 is the new 20.

1,519 posts, read 1,632,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Exactly right. In the previous 7 years, not "combined" as you are reading it. Go find the link for yourself, in this thread or goggle it - the facts are inescapable - MORE deaths since since obama has taken over than ANY previous year, by far.
You had the temerity to lecture me about comprehension and being remedial, earlier?

What exactly does "since since" mean?
Caught out again.

Moving on.

Message 571 does not state ANY previous.
Message 571 states "in the previous 7 years"

Materially different statements, my dear.

For the record message 571 reads :
Quote:
And while he is waffling and thinking about the political ramifications, troops are dying and the situation is getting worse and morale is in the toilet.
Quote:
Since he's been in charge, more American deaths have ocurred than in the previous 7 years.

Quote:
571 didn't need a reference,
That's correct because message 571 was posted without reference to Afghanistan or references to any previous posts.
It was a stand alone post, riddled with factually incorrect assertions.
And no amount of backtracking/waffling on your part can obscure the fact that you made erroneous statements therein.

Quote:

Whoops, caught again in a deception; You forgot to post the post I was responding to. See "Afghanistan" there?
I'm still awaiting you proof regarding Iraq and my posting the word Iraq?
I am also awaiting an explanation as to where the word Afghanistan is contained in message 571.

And finally I would like to know why, when called on it, you attempted to change the context of message 571 from "in the previous 7 years" to "in any previous 7"

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
He changed the "Tone"?

Oh, that's right!

He went around the world on his apology tour.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Concrete reasons for Obama winning Nobel Peace Prize?

He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
He ain't Bush.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies