Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I figured it was something like that.
This is probably it: wikipedia: "Employers are exempt from paying certain kinds of workers the minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. A lower minimum exists for these workers. For example, in 1997, a subminimum wage of $4.25 an hour was created for employees under 20 years of age during their first 90 days with an employer."

also, small places?: "All employees of certain enterprises having workers engaged in interstate commerce, producing goods for interstate commerce, or handling, selling, or otherwise working on goods or materials that have been moved in or produced for such commerce by any person, are covered by FLSA.
A covered enterprise is the related activities performed through unified operation or common control by any person or persons for a common business purpose and -
whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is not less than $500,000 (exclusive of excise taxes at the retail level that are separately stated); or...."

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/hrg.htm#8 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Just out of curiosity, does not a Federal minimum wage place a disproportionate burden on businesses in poorer states? Is this not an unfair advantage for businesses in say New York over Arkansas? It seems obvious to me that this type of policy is highly discriminatory against the very poorest in poorer areas.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Just out of curiosity, does not a Federal minimum wage place a disproportionate burden on businesses in poorer states? Is this not an unfair advantage for businesses in say New York over Arkansas? It seems obvious to me that this type of policy is highly discriminatory against the very poorest in poorer areas.
Those areas in which are most poor and I would count rural Appalachia as being one of the poorest, also tend to have very low cost of living compared to places like New York, Los Angels, etc...

A person making minimum wage could in fact live in this area, granted in the most humble of residence, but it can be done. How many people in NY City could pay for an apartment on min wage?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Business is down everywhere no matter where you go.

When I go back to my hometown to visit parents and inlaws the parking lots are almost empty.

No one is spending any money right now.
Guess it depends on where you live. I was at the Altamonte mall with my mother last weekend and it was packed. Took 20 minutes to find a parking space (and their parking lot is huge) and the mall was so crowded we couldn't even walk side by side. We went to the movies after lunch to see Fame and the wait was about 15-20 minutes long and there was a 45 minute way to get into the Ale House...so people ARE spending money; I guess it's just either not as many people as usual or people are spending less money.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I have offered to wash the limo's and private jets of all the City-Data financial guru's for 10 bucks an hour, but sadly, they are balking at even paying minimum wage.
Come wash mine... I'll pay you what ever you feel your worth ! $10, $15, $20/hr... BUT, I will determine the amount of time you will have to complete the work according to the value YOU put on your skills. If not accomplished within the alloted time period.... you'll be fired !

See a pattern yet... ?!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
If we had Single Payer the Employer would no longer have to foot the bill for employee's health care, Workmans Comp would also be halved because it would only cover wages. Then we could raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour and put some cash into the hands of those who would spend it. That would create demand

Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If we had Single Payer the Employer would no longer have to foot the bill for employee's health care, Workmans Comp would also be halved because it would only cover wages. Then we could raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour and put some cash into the hands of those who would spend it. That would create demand
Completely ridiculous !

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Yes, because those low wage earners "deserve" it and the wealthier business owner has to do his part to share the wealth. NOT

Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Quote:
are you being sarcastic?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Those areas in which are most poor and I would count rural Appalachia as being one of the poorest, also tend to have very low cost of living compared to places like New York, Los Angels, etc...

A person making minimum wage could in fact live in this area, granted in the most humble of residence, but it can be done. How many people in NY City could pay for an apartment on min wage?

Well, they all could if everybody made minimum wage. Supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies