Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I never thought that they were all that funny begin with - sure not something I'd ever want to try.

I haven't heard too much about them, lately, come to think of it....
They are out there and growing. It doesn't put the US in a nice light though so you don't read too much about them in the MSM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
And with a 25 year shelf life, you'll be able to hand down to your children whatever you haven't finished up...

people always say things like you just mentioned. I for one count it as an insurance policy. I have used it before, when money was tight I used it to offset my food supply at home and did not have to spend money on food at the store.

so there are more purposes than just saving for tshtf.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
When my grandparents were alive they always kept a very well stocked pantry, as did their parents and grandparents. They were both born around 1900 and lived through the Depression, and well before the Depression things weren't always readily available. They knew it could get them through hard times (as it has for me), or, that stores may not always have what's needed.

I have noticed dried bulk items have been flying off the shelf the past year. People are starting to buy more things like rice and dried beans. The just in time delivery system we have today is even more vulnerable than the system used a century ago where more non-perishable items were stocked in local areas.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:28 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
People pay for dried food? Good lord, don't people do anything for themselves anymore? Whats next, people going to hire someone to chew it for them too?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 AM

With shipping down over 30% and many of the basic ingredients imported there will be shortages.

Stores are now frontloading their shelves. Next time you go food shopping just take a look behind a few of those "seemingly" stocked shelves. You might be surprised to see that there's only 1 or 2 of an item and the rest is "space".

Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
People pay for dried food? Good lord, don't people do anything for themselves anymore? Whats next, people going to hire someone to chew it for them too?
lol. In this day of instant, pre-processed microwave food ready to eat, do you really think most people would know what to do with a 5lb bag of flour ?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
lol. In this day of instant, pre-processed microwave food ready to eat, do you really think most people would know what to do with a 5lb bag of flour ?
Ya just put a little under your tongue to test for herbicides, and then just haul off and snort a few lines.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
people always say things like you just mentioned. I for one count it as an insurance policy. I have used it before, when money was tight I used it to offset my food supply at home and did not have to spend money on food at the store.

so there are more purposes than just saving for tshtf.
I was kind of teasing you a bit...

But in reality, I was taught to do the same type of thing (my grandparents also lived through the Great Depression). I've always had extra water, canned food, dried food (and wine!), etc. on hand. And it does come in handy when an extra expense crops up and money gets tight.

It never hurts to be prepared.

I remember my husband laughing at me for filling our bathtubs up with water when a hurricane was approaching: "Why are you doing that?"

He stopped laughing when we lost our power and running water and we needed to use that bathtub water to flush our toilets.

At any rate, it never hurts to have some extra supplies (like batteries) and a well stocked pantry. And it doesn't hurt to learn skills like hunting and fishing.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
I use fresh, canned, frozen, and dried. It's a symphony in the kitchen. Dried foods are lighweight, and I have dried my own apples, and sun dried tomatoes out here in the desert. Sun dried tomatoes I keep in a jar. When winter hits, and the store tomatoes are like hard flavorless wax, I have tangy tomatoes.

I keep all of my flour, rice, blue corn meal, and grains in Mason jars in the fridge, or freezer. There are moments that I make my own TV dinners and freeze them for the time that I don't feel like chopping. We have to be like the pioneers, sometimes. It isn't fatal to work from scratch, but I also head to the Bellagio Buffet for a feast from time to time. I crave the contrast of pioneer, and princess. Hee Hee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies