Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times

Advertisements

I have some ideas to turn the unemployment rate around.

Please come and take the poll and join the discussion at:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...s-wake-up.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
America should have woken up a decade or two ago when it first started.
We were sold a bill of phoney goods by Corporates.

You will never be able to reverse this. People are only too glad to buy "Made in China" at deep discounts.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

You will never be able to reverse this. People are only too glad to buy "Made in China" at deep discounts.

PAY UP !!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Please come visit the link ... it may not be too late if we force the president and the politicians to do the right thing for the American people.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:51 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,059,736 times
How about Option #7:

- mandatory universal conscription for all males and females either on the day after their 18th birthday or the day after high school graduation whichever comes first.

4 years active duty, 8 years reserves, age 30 to 45 in the Home Guard (which would replace the National Guard, it would not be allowed to be sent overseas and would not serve outside their state/territory of residence).

Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,683,330 times
Quote:

Agreed. The destruction of the American industrial core began in the 70's. Take alook around the Rust Belt. Corporations shut down hundreds of factories and steel mills and moved their industries overseas, because they wanted slaves and not employees (and they dared to blame the unions for wanting dingnity for workers) Then the consumerist fever spread throughout the USA and people began to rely on credit instead of real money. I think it's pretty late now to change things

Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 AM

It's not about the industrial core anymore!

Since the WTO allowed trade in services, even the jobs that were supposed to "save us" like IT are being rapidly offshored and visa'd in.

To add insult to injury, the House and Senate voted a couple of years back as to whether to allow service workers, from IT workers to call center workers, to also be covered along with industrials workers under the program for people whose jobs were lost due to international competition.

They voted NO. Why? Because they decided it would be too expensive to cover service workers with these added benefits.

What does that tell you?

That the politicians already knew offshore outsourcing of services is "not just a few jobs here and there" but has the potential to be HUGE.

And they don't care because they are not doing anything about it.

As for companies wanting slaves, they don't have to be factory workers. Ever hear the term "Cyber-Coolies?" That is about IT work.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 PM

745 posts, read 1,432,366 times
Great posts by all....

I think Americans need to start localizing. You hear pro-Globalizers shouting "Protectionism!" like this is some obscene word/ concept. I do not agree and think we need more Protectionism.

I understand the idea that you need to foster Global trade... but you do not have to do so on a scale the DESTROYS local economies. People need to buy local.... shop on Main St at privately owned businesses instead of Target, Walmart, Costco, etc...

(Note: I do not do anything close to a good job of this myself.... so I am not preaching at all. I just wish this type of grass roots campaign would take a bit of a stronger hold. I think this has happened to great extent with Environmental concerns).

Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,058,387 times
Quote:

Sadly, I agree. I'm not looking forward to working for China when they call all our debts in......

The only appropriate solution would be sacrifice, but from what I can gather of Americans, they don't want any of that.

We'll keep losing to China because we don't want to pay higher prices for things that are made in America and we don't want Wall Street investors to lose their dividends to employing non-sweatshop workers.

I wonder how much "Made in America" stuff glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh own? I wonder how their stocks perform when our jobs are given to the Chinese? I'm curious about the same things for all of our legislators.

I wonder if we could make everything we need in America ourselves. I know we could employ everyone. Between the roads I drive on and the people I know that work way too many hours (48+), I know the work could be spread out more, and there's more than enough work to be done.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,793,301 times
The battle is long over folks, we lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies