Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times

Advertisements

"Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Americans are a diverse, extraordinary, resilient, and passionate group of forgiving men and women. I wouldn't be standing beside them demanding full and equal treatment under the law and speaking out against the harm caused by religion-based bigotry at the National Equality March in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 11 if I thought they were not created in God's image the same as myself, same as my family, as we all are—we are all God's children.

"And I know better than anyone, since six years ago I was one of those bigots.

. . .

"This new voice—Christ's voice—became the core principles of my faith: love, compassion, and respect. That voice I now realize was desperately wanting to be heard, a voice no longer comfortable with the place in which I had chose to confine it for so long—a place of bigotry, prejudice, fear, and misunderstanding."

Evangelical Explains Why He's for Gay Rights | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com

We're making progress, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 01:20 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Is homosexuality BETTER than heterosexuality?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yeah, I read that and thought the same thing, but I also thought, "Gee, thanks, buddy. You caused all kinds of pain and suffering for decades, and now we're supposed to just forgive you." I'm happy to see progress, but it's hard for me to not feel bitter toward people like him.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Yeah, I read that and thought the same thing, but I also thought, "Gee, thanks, buddy. You caused all kinds of pain and suffering for decades, and now we're supposed to just forgive you." I'm happy to see progress, but it's hard for me to not feel bitter toward people like him.
I understand. But he is repenting. And not only repenting personally and privately, but PUBLICLY. And he's taken up the cause, to boot!

Really, isn't this exactly what we've been asking of those who have been against the basic human rights of the LGBT community for so long? We want the people like him to come to our side, so when they do, we have to embrace and welcome them.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
I understand. But he is repenting. And not only repenting personally and privately, but PUBLICLY.
Think we could get George Bush to do the same?

He's already GOT religion.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
I understand. But he is repenting. And not only repenting personally and privately, but PUBLICLY. And he's taken up the cause, to boot!

Really, isn't this exactly what we've been asking of those who have been against the basic human rights of the LGBT community for so long? We want the people like him to come to our side, so when they do, we have to embrace and welcome them.
I agree....but being a bit older....I don't forget/forgive as easily as I once did.....but I'll make an exception; it is a big part of educating people. .

Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
While I believe Homosexuality is a sin, I believe that is between the sinner and GOD. I certainly don't want the government involved.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
"Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Americans are a diverse, extraordinary, resilient, and passionate group of forgiving men and women. I wouldn't be standing beside them demanding full and equal treatment under the law and speaking out against the harm caused by religion-based bigotry at the National Equality March in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 11 if I thought they were not created in God's image the same as myself, same as my family, as we all are—we are all God's children.

"And I know better than anyone, since six years ago I was one of those bigots.

. . .

"This new voice—Christ's voice—became the core principles of my faith: love, compassion, and respect. That voice I now realize was desperately wanting to be heard, a voice no longer comfortable with the place in which I had chose to confine it for so long—a place of bigotry, prejudice, fear, and misunderstanding."

Evangelical Explains Why He's for Gay Rights | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com

Really? my guess is he is being preemptive,he probably pulled a ted haggard, and figures this the best way prevent the blows, no pun intended, he would receive from the homo community!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies