Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times

Advertisements

Well, in the first place, Limbaugh is a limited partner in a partnership that has offered to buy the Rams. He, according to the news reports, will have no say in management, player replacement, radio or TV broadcasts, et cetera. He is simply a financial partner.

That said, how many people have been an employee of a company that got to vote on who bought out their company or merged with them? Unless the players have investment monies and a voting position, they need to learn to siddown and shaddup, do their jobs, and take their paychecks - or, it still being a free country, they can quit. I have had stock in companies that were taken over by or merged with other companies - and if I didn't like the way the company was going to be taken by the new company, I sold my stock. I didn't whine or complain - people have a right to do what they want with their own money, both the company CEOs and the stockholders.

As for Al Sharpton or anyone else demanding that 'Rush not own a football team because he is racist' - let's see THEM step up to the plate and tell us what companies they've invested in over the years, and whether or not their racism or other attitudes has made a difference, pro or con. Invasive and destructive of privacy? You betcha. No one else's business? Absolutely. Pots and kettles.

I don't like Rush; never have, never will. If he wanted to invest in my company I would probably choose not to sell to him. If he was a part of an investment group that bought my employer, or even did it on an individual basis, I would have to decide whether or not he would have direct influence over my job - and if he did, would walk. I feel the same way about Al Sharpton, Ted Turner, Nancy Pelosi, or Glenn Beck. Those are my rights in a free market. No one has the right to say what anyone else can do with their money. Yet, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Looks like time for the Teabaggers to boycott the NFL

Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Limbaugh's team would be all white, but they'd still be a force to reckon with. They'd have a Cheneyesque bloodlust, with an insatiable desire to kill.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Much ado about nothing...........Limbaugh is and and always will be a gas bag who has the publics ear, I guess that alone accounts for his being a newsworthy subject though. As for big Al, who knows what evil lurks in that heart.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
While I don't see this as a great debate, I will comment this far,

As of this afternoon, Limbaugh is no longer a part of the group of investors buying the Rams. He was asked to step down because of his "complications".

Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As of this afternoon, Limbaugh is no longer a part of the group of investors buying the Rams. He was asked to step down because of his "complications".
Translation, in four simple words: he's bad for business.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Six days out of the week things can be dismal for the average working stiff, the long time unemployed black man, or even a guy who has a decent job but his credit is shot due to the flim flamming that has gone on at Wall Street. He has watched his 401K go in the toilet right along with the rest of his portfolio.

When the average person has had a gutful of that dreck from Monday through Saturday, they look for that one day off where they can pull for something different. Their favorite football club is what they concern themselves with on Sunday. They don't want anything to do with the pi*si*g contest between the two political parties, have had it with the politically correct claptrap, and just generally had it for the week in general. They want football.

Rush Limbaugh, in a lot of peoples eyes, represents the type of things that those people are trying to get away from. Diviciveness is how he has made his fortune. And make no mistake, he is a wealthy individual, extremely wealthy. I'm not a talk radio guy by choice. I'm not buying into anyone's camp, I'll make my own observations on matters of this country.

SC Granny is absolutely right with the other end of the spectrum. Just thinking of Al Sharpton has me reaching for my blood pressure medication.

This whole thing needs to go away, this Limbaugh business. This will NOT fly with the owners if it gets to a NFL management vote. The unfortunate thing about this is he is one guy who understands the game, understands how the NFL got to be where they are today as America's #1 sport.

I've been wrong before, and if I am I'll take my lumps on this issue. But IMO the owners just don't want this to happen. Certainly Limbaugh will dig in his heels and pursue this. That's fine. But it ain't gonna happen!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-14-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,075,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
When the average person has had a gutful of that dreck from Monday through Saturday, they look for that one day off where they can pull for something different. Their favorite football club is what they concern themselves with on Sunday. They don't want anything to do with the pi*si*g contest between the two political parties, have had it with the politically correct claptrap, and just generally had it for the week in general. They want football.
It's ok to have Keith Overbite on the Sunday night game though, I don't watch the pre-game, or turn the channel when he is on. Same with the super bowl last year.
I don't know where Al Sharpton gets off telling who should be able to go in on buying a team. At least Rush made his money legally, pays taxes, not waiting ten years, and is not under investigation like Rev. Al was.

Last edited by 1eyedjack; 10-14-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Where were Al Sharpton's puritan ethics and high standards when Michael Vick was being hired by the Philadelphia Eagles?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 PM

136 posts, read 235,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So ole Rush Limbaugh wants to buy the St Louis Rams, and there are a few people - notably Al Sharpton and some others - who are really angry about this.

Why?

Should Limbaugh not be allowed to buy the Rams, if he has the money?

The group bidding to buy the St. Louis Rams NEEDS to be approved by 75% of the leagues' owners. That is NFL policy. The NFL is a private organization, so it is entirely within their right to have such a policy. So that means, if a prospective owner cannot be approved by the 75%, they CAN'T buy a team, money or not.

Having Rush Limbaugh as part of the group would seriously endanger the group's chances of succeeding in buying the team. Rush would only complicate the process for them, so the group decided to drop him.

If you have a complaint, complain to the group that dropped him. They are only looking to improve their chances of acquiring the Rams. Rush Limbaugh, whether you agree with him or not, is an extremely polarizing figure.

I think a more appropriate question would be: "Why is Rush Limbaugh so polarizing to the point where his OWN group decided to drop him to better their chances to buy the team?"

And here is a link to the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4559454
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies