Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Continuing to ignore the fact that "conservatives" are not responsible to solve citizens "problems", doesnt mean you are making progress with your argument,
So essentially, there exists no need for conservatives, correct? if not, what is the need?

Quote:
So you think the abortion problem was caused bye a bunch of grey haired old men? I could be wrong, but I would bet that women arent banging down the doors to become pregnant by this segment of society, but maybe you could provide statistics showing I'm wrong.

If you're unable to understand the difference between a medical condition and a bunch of uninvolved fools trying to interfere with the decision making process of how that condition will be handled, sorry, you shouldn't be talking about either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Please cite case law where this has been determined to be true, your opinion isn't that impressive or convincing.
Article 1, section 8, subsection 3
To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

And the 10th amendment, which leaves all powers not mentioned in the Constitution to the states. Authority to legislate unemployment, individual welfare, healthcare, minimum wage, are not powers mentioned in the Constitution.

While many argue these are powers granted under the "general welfare" clause, these are individual welfare benefits, not "general welfare"..

Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The difference between liberal and conservative ideology is that liberals think they need the government to solve problems and take care of the populace. Conservatives believe that the role of government is to provide a system and the framework for each individual to solve their own problems and take care of themselves.
That may be a difference in ideology but it is not any sort of difference in reality. In the actual world we inhabit and not some ideological fantasyland, "liberals" and "conservatives" only differ on what government "services" they want to provide.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The difference between liberal and conservative ideology is that liberals think they need the government to solve problems and take care of the populace. Conservatives believe that the role of government is to provide a system and the framework for each individual to solve their own problems and take care of themselves. That was the founding principle of this country - indivudual liberty and freedom.

And just how is removing abortion as a choice providing a framework for individuals to solve their own problems? It seems as if conservatives insist on putting their face on the framework. Sounds like a tunnel visioned system to me.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
So essentially, there exists no need for conservatives, correct? if not, what is the need?
Still unable to understand the difference between federal, and state authorities, and that liberals believe that the federal government is there to fix everything, and conservatives, well true conservatives, believe these rights and obligations belong on a STATE level. Again, continuing to post to show that you dont understand what is in the constitution isnt helping your argument.
Quote:
If you're unable to understand the difference between a medical condition and a bunch of uninvolved fools trying to interfere with the decision making process of how that condition will be handled, sorry, you shouldn't be talking about either.
haha, so now having an abortion is a "medical condition", almost like Cancer

And yet again, I need to remind you that even abortion belongs on a state level. Having an abortion is an individual welfare issue, not a society one, and thereby the constitution limits it at a state level with the Supreme Court having no jurisdiction to regulate rights to the state. If you think this right exists, then maybe you would point out the clause in the Constitution which grants the federal government the right to dictate what INDIVIDUALS have the right to do.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Article 1, section 8, subsection 3
To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

And the 10th amendment, which leaves all powers not mentioned in the Constitution to the states. Authority to legislate unemployment, individual welfare, healthcare, minimum wage, are not powers mentioned in the Constitution.

While many argue these are powers granted under the "general welfare" clause, these are individual welfare benefits, not "general welfare"..

Still waltzin', eh?

I asked for case law citation(s), NOT your opinion on interpreting the Constitution or the definition of 'general welfare'

Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Still unable to understand the difference between federal, and state authorities, and that liberals believe that the federal government is there to fix everything, and conservatives, well true conservatives, believe these rights and obligations belong on a STATE level. Again, continuing to post to show that you dont understand what is in the constitution isnt helping your argument.

haha, so now having an abortion is a "medical condition", almost like Cancer
I haven't been spun this much on a Tilt-A-Whirl

Please DO explain the function of conservatives in national office? To do what? Sit on their asses and do nothing?

Quote:
And yet again, I need to remind you that even abortion belongs on a state level. Having an abortion is an individual welfare issue, not a society one, and thereby the constitution limits it at a state level with the Supreme Court having no jurisdiction to regulate rights to the state. If you think this right exists, then maybe you would point out the clause in the Constitution which grants the federal government the right to dictate what INDIVIDUALS have the right to do.
It's a medical issue, and it's the hypocritical GOP that attempts to make it a national issue.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Still waltzin', eh?

I asked for case law citation(s), NOT your opinion on interpreting the Constitution or the definition of 'general welfare'
So you think the constitution is just a "god dxm piece of paper"?

btw, I didnt interpret the constititution, I quoted it..

Old 10-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Please DO explain the function of conservatives in national office? To do what? Sit on their asses and do nothing?

It's a medical issue, and it's the hypocritical GOP that attempts to make it a national issue.
The federal government is LIMITED by the US Constitution, and all rights contained in this document. The Commerce Clause dictates that they have the authority to regulate transactions which involve crossing the state lines, the 10th amendment limits their authority to ONLY what is in the Constitution.

Conservatives indeed are limited in a national office as to what they can do, just like liberals, unless you are now suggesting that we both have different Constitutions.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So you think the constitution is just a "god dxm piece of paper"?
I said NO SUCH THING! Are you delusional or just have NOTHING of substance to say?

Quote:
btw, I didnt interpret the constititution, I quoted it..

No, you said the Federal government was involved in things outside their authority, I asked where that allegation has been upheld in court, NOT merely in your imagination. You have yet to respond with anything but your opinion.

Last edited by burdell; 10-11-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies