Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, when can we expect Congress to draft a new budget? Clearly, Obama's current spending plans are not sustainable. Will a Dem controlled Congress shred Obama's budget, and come back with one that is much leaner?
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1089744537179&id=10f255019ce2e346 240bdf399fdb2870&url=http%3a%2f%2fcontent.zlango.c om%2fshow.img%3fid%3d80589 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is someone pretending he holds no blame? I don't see anyone. He is the continuation of the deficit spending policy this country adopted in 1971.
Obama's spending is not just a continuation, it's an exponential increase in deficit spending - much, much more deficit spending than has ever been done before.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
I know what happened, hence my comment, 'Obama is pushing an already bad situation over the edge.'

I would love to see a historical reference to when making an already bad situation much worse actually turned out well.
No, you said "he owns it", as if he created the whole mess, and I told you that there has been talk about USD losing its status as world's reserve currency for 40 years. That is a historical fact, but you did not seem too interested in the history because it is easier to blame the current president.

Will it actually happen now? I don't know, but I think it could happen if OPEC un-pegs USD from oil. In the other hand it is unlikely because OPEC listens to Saudis, and we have a defence pact with Saudi Arabia: They keep USD pegged and our military will defend Saudi Arabia. Also, Saudis have huge USD reserves, and they would need to get rid of those before unpegging anything.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Obama's spending is not just a continuation, it's an exponential increase in deficit spending - much, much more deficit spending than has ever been done before.
The 2009 speding it big, but I think you are too focused on how much is spent in one year. It may be biggest one year deficit, but it is foolish to ignore the accumulated deficits from the past 40 years. Why do you think our national debt has reached 11.9 Trillion today? Because of foolish deficit spending policy since the Nixon Shock.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Considering that the $9.3 trillion 10-year deficit is a projection of Obama's budget outline released last February and that CBO reviews the budget situation monthly, maybe it's time for some folks to stop copying and pasting the same old outdated links into one thread after another.

Perhaps it should be noted also that after inheriting a nearly $1.3 trillion projected deficit for FY2009 from GW Bush, Obama -- even with all that push-us-over-the-edge spending that he has supposedly been doing and even with plummetting federal revenues -- saw the year end with a deficit of $1.4 trillion. Hmmm.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
No, you said "he owns it", as if he created the whole mess...
Since I clearly referenced Obama's out-of-control deficit spending in my post, I thought you would understand that I posted "he owns it," because he refuses to back off of his record-breaking deficit spending plans even after he'd been warned by Bernanke and Buffett as to the outcome of such.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The 2009 speding it big, but I think you are too focused on how much is spent in one year. It may be biggest one year deficit, but it is foolish to ignore the accumulated deficits from the past 40 years. Why do you think our national debt has reached 11.9 Trillion today? Because of foolish deficit spending policy since the Nixon Shock.
How is Nixon responsible for Obama's over $9 trillion in deficit spending plans?

Let's see, it takes 233 years to reach 11.9 trillion... and Obama plans on adding another 9.3 trillion in only 10 years. Do you see the problem?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Perhaps it should be noted also that after inheriting a nearly $1.3 trillion projected deficit for FY2009 from GW Bush, Obama -- even with all that push-us-over-the-edge spending that he has supposedly been doing and even with plummetting federal revenues -- saw the year end with a deficit of $1.4 trillion. Hmmm.
Hmmm... let's see what happens when that gets revised. Hmmm...

Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Since I clearly referenced Obama's out-of-control deficit spending in my post, I thought you would understand that I posted "he owns it," because he refuses to back off of his record-breaking deficit spending plans even after he'd been warned by Bernanke and Buffett as to the outcome of such.
Berkanke needs to make up his mind, because he is the one who helped create the current meltdown, and who pushed 2008 Congress and Bush and later 2009 Congress and Obama into spending more. He spoke them into believeing that the country is finished unless they do as he says, and he said "spend, spend, spend". Are you kidding me? Him and Greenspan are more guilty of the current meltdown that Bush and Obama combined.

His actions, the actions of Greenspan and the Fed as whole needs to be thoroughly investigated.

And Buffet is a private investor who lost his shirt in the game.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
How is Nixon responsible for Obama's over $9 trillion in deficit spending plans?

Let's see, it takes 233 years to reach 11.9 trillion... and Obama plans on adding another 9.3 trillion in only 10 years. Do you see the problem?
Good. Now you are thinking. It took 200 years to get the debt to 380 billion, but after that the chart goes into a steep upward curve, and in 40 years we took the debt from 380 billion to 12 TRILLION. After 1971, the debt has seen many doublings during different admins, and one tripling under Reagan. Bush took it from 5.5 to 11 Trillion (15 times more than all presidents before 1970 combined). Do you see a pattern here? And you think history is irrelevant? You seem more convinced by future predictions than historical facts.

Look at this chart. The little jump there before the 1950 was WW-II, and that was considered HUGE. But then see what happened after 1970s.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-12-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies