Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:44 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What is acting more out of line? Making factual statements? Or making statements in order to try and make a myth appear as fact?
Factual? Well maybe After all, I bet there was no war or terror before Columbus arrived and no disease too.

The human sacrifices of the Incas and Aztecs were, after all, just high jinks and the syphillis that the Europeans took back with them was no worse than a rash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Same thing. Gotta prove that something is wrong to make push the change agenda. This is exactly what we are seeing here, and most likely regarding immigrants and how this country has no right to draw a border after all the wrongs we committed against the native americans.... right?
Yeah, that's not a stretch at all. Columbus -> Illegal Immigration?? Come on.

And I don't see anything wrong with bringing up the thought that maybe Columbus's discovery of America had some incredibly negative impacts for the aboriginals that lived in the Americas originally. Especially for school age children, I got the "oh he's a great guy" deal and would have definitely appreciated an alternative viewpoint.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

689 posts, read 742,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yesterday I spoke to a mom in another school district and she told me that they are observing Columbus Day today in their district. Found out from my son that his HS is not observing it, and as a matter of fact, his English teacher of Nicaraguan descent formally informed his class that Columbus only brought disease and war to the Americas and that there is nothing to celebrate about Columbus. Mind you, the student population is Hispanic majority (about 70%) at my son's school.

I am incensed so I had best not contact the school just yet. Would love to hear some other opinions about this before I lambast the administration. Your thoughts?
Yet...the teacher teaches...in America. Priceless.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I disagree. We have seen how our education, mostly at the higher edcuation levels, indoctinate children with a left wing agenda.

This is no secret. Most of those who argue that it doesn't happen are also the ones unwilling to see how indoctination occurs, most often by tweeking the mind so that concepts like "change" seem real appealing.

Sorry you don't like that fact. It isn't just in education, but all over, this forum included. In order to get people to accept "change" you have to prove why the current situation is undesirable.

The fact that you think that her assesment was "factual" only shows how you encourage the use of mis-information, specifically the wronging of our nation, to continue to push a political agenda.

Sorry, but Columbus and the discovery of America can't be sumed up in one or two sentences. The implications and consqeuences of this major world event has enough parameters and unique circumstances and subsequent reprocussions to keep the conversation going for much much longer than a 2 second sound bite.

What the teacher did was nothing short of what we see here every day.

"US healthcare sucks, did you hear that story about that lady who died, we need to make our system like X"

Same thing. Gotta prove that something is wrong to make push the change agenda. This is exactly what we are seeing here, and most likely regarding immigrants and how this country has no right to draw a border after all the wrongs we committed against the native americans.... right?

When you go off on these rants about indoctrination...

Now, I agree the statements about Columbus can't be made in just a couple sentences. However, that statement is a bit more factual and closer to the actual truth than the myths about Columbus which are often taught. This isn't about a wronging of the nation or any of that crap. This is about factual information. Sometimes the factual information isn't the greatest, sometimes that factual information doesn't live up to the myths some may have, and sometimes yes that factual information may shine a bit of a negative light on our History. However, that doesn't mean we should ignore the facts, and teach myths and blatant falsehoods instead just because it might put a more positive spin on our History.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Because high school students NEVER exaggerate the truth to get a rise out of their parents?

In any case, Columbus didn't even discover America. Leiffur Eirikisson came along well before Columbus.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
When you go off on these rants about indoctrination...

Now, I agree the statements about Columbus can't be made in just a couple sentences. However, that statement is a bit more factual and closer to the actual truth than the myths about Columbus which are often taught. This isn't about a wronging of the nation or any of that crap. This is about factual information. Sometimes the factual information isn't the greatest, sometimes that factual information doesn't live up to the myths some may have, and sometimes yes that factual information may shine a bit of a negative light on our History. However, that doesn't mean we should ignore the facts, and teach myths and blatant falsehoods instead just because it might put a more positive spin on our History.
But the "facts" do not support a "Columbus good" or a "Columbus bad" conclusion. The "conclusion" is a huge grey area. And that is where the teacher is at fault because he/she has already given his/her conclusion to the class without allowing them to reach their own conclusion.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Hello DontH8Me old friend

Just curious do you think being in a Hispanic majority school has something to do with this? I guess this teacher was a native and not of Spanish blood?
Hello right back atcha my old bud! To tell you the truth, I don't know if the tipping of the scales has anything to do with the brazenness of the teacher or not. I think a lot of the people responding are missing the point - it isn't about how the holiday is to be observed/not observed, it is about the teacher giving her opinion as the reason as to why we as a nation should not even have a Columbus Day. Right or wrong, groups of people have been conquering other groups of people since the dawn of man.

Obviously the teacher isn't the one to decide what days are observed - but when the administration starts to promote the wishes of certain interest groups then something is rotten in the state of Denmark. That the teacher felt it was appropriate for her to spout off to students without her filter on gives me a taste of what she perceives she can get away with.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Yeah, that's not a stretch at all. Columbus -> Illegal Immigration?? Come on.
That argument is made all the time by the "no borders" brigade. It is pointed out often that we Americans have no right to limit immigration into this country because afterall, we took land from the Native Americans which wasn't ours to begin with.

Simple visit the immigration thread for proof.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:
However, that doesn't mean we should ignore the facts, and teach myths and blatant falsehoods instead just because it might put a more positive spin on our History.
In the OP, it was stated that the teacher who made the comments were his English teacher.

Since when are we teaching about Columbus, either good or bad, in english class?

I stand by my assertation that this comment was made on the premise of wronging America for a political gain that the teacher agreed with.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:03 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
My minister once put on a skit that enacted for the sunday school kids an analogy of Columbus discovering America. She went out into the congregation and took a purse! The kids all saw her do it. Then a lady returned to her pew and announced....someone took my purse and asked if anyone knew who did it. The kids with varying degrees of enthusiasm fingered the minister. When the lady said, "Did you steal my purse?" The minister said, "No! I discovered it." "No one was using it or watching it."

In the ensueing dialogue the arguements of you werent using it.....I had a holy right to take it....etc were all offered...the kids in their sunday school classes learned about the genocide, enslavement, forced conversion and colonialization of America as the legacy of Columbus and discussed the concepts of the golden rule and "even so much as you have done unto the least of these you have done it unto me" from the Bible and similar morality lessons.

(My minister was not of Latin or Native American heritage.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies