Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Wow, if that is an accurate statistic I wonder if it comes from the ministers in their churches telling them to vote against it.
It is the statistic that was in the news when the voting was going on for this.
Black churches are known to be highly anti-gay, much more than their white Catholic and Episcopal counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Yep, and black people can be prejudiced just like everyone else. Look at the 80% plus of black people who voted AGAINST marriage for gay people in California.
Who's to say they aren't for civil unions or domestic partnerships?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Yep, and black people can be prejudiced just like everyone else. Look at the 80% plus of black people who voted AGAINST marriage for gay people in California.
Actually, it was 70%, according to the CNN Exit Polls.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 AM

51 posts, read 170,693 times
Quote:
And what does that have to do with the racism within the gay community? Absolutely nothing. While I personally feel apathetic about most of these gay "causes", no one is accusing black gays and lesbians of being part of the anti-gay marriage movement. I've noticed whenever the subject is the race line within the gay community, people come out of the woodwork talking about how homophobic the black community is supposed to be. What does that have to do with the subject at hand? Are black gays and lesbians supposed to be homophobic against ourselves?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 AM

51 posts, read 170,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Some of the the racist gays are probably the same ones who are shouting the loudest for "gay rights". Yet they discriminate themselves.
You hit it on the head. Those guys are the biggest hypocrites in the world. To them gay is "white" and gay people of color do not exist.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:33 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,726 times
We shouldn't be homophobic or racist towards each other and ourselves. We have a lot of growing up to do.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
Quote:
Wow, if that is an accurate statistic I wonder if it comes from the ministers in their churches telling them to vote against it.

Here in Dayton the big opposition to gay rights came from churches and the black politicians on city council. The only reason one of those gay rights pased is becuase the mayor is (or is alleged to be) a lesbian. She is also black.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
To address the op...yes there is a lot of discrimination in the gay community. Just because someone doesn't want to date outside of their race doesn't make them a racist. The racism in the gay community is based on ignorance. You have many whites that don't believe that there should be a gay black pride because of their own ignorance of thinking that blacks should feel welcomed at the white gay prides. I've found that people now days are more culturally intollerant (recognizing no other than their own) or a better term cultural supremacy.

Be carefull of groups that label themselves as being progressive and constantly throughout the race card. That brings me to my next point of gays being victimized by black people. Most blacks that I know that vote against gay marrage do so because of what the percieve as biblical principal not because of hate. I get so mad when people talk about the black community being more homophobic than whites or other groups.

Next major issue that is of concern for the gay community is hiv infection and the dl movement. Whites have a different term called the closet. But a conversation always ends ina finger pointing to how homophobic the black community is.

There are so many issues that are based on ignorance that causes racism. These are just a few that I can see.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
And are poised to do the same thing in DC if the DC City Council would let the vote go to the people. Black folks are up in arms over gay marriage, and rightfully so, in my opinion.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Having read the article and having dated black men the author seems to be lost on the real reasons why black gays are not included in gay pride events.
Black men will not have anything to do with "gay rights" or anything that seems to be so or effiminate.
It's all about the down low however they will have sex with you but that's all it is to them!
Religion plays a huge role as to why they are not open about their sexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies