Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Well, looks like the PRCalifornia authorities have become frustrated with the slow pace of their violations of the 2nd amendment. Though they have succeeded in banning and even confiscating a few weapons, they seem to feel that they can disarm people more effectively by restricting sales of ammunition. After all, the 2nd amendment doesn't mention bullets, does it?

Now, anyone who wants to buy ammunition, will be treated like suspects in a criminal case. The purchase will be held up; they will be required to fill out numerous papers; have their ID and fingerprpints taken, and have them sent to police, who are now authorized to keep them indefinitely. (Even the Federal forms we are require to fill out to buy a gun, are not sent to police)

I especially liked Schwarzenegger's comment about what this law will do, and his careful qualification of his praise. "Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe ...."
Very good, Ahnold. And if it's not utilized properly...?? I don't suppose you're worried that a government that gets too disagreeably big, might want to know which Calif residents have certain size guns, are practicing with those guns, and where the government can find them "when it feels it's necessary", are you? No, I guess you just can't imagine any government getting "too disagreeably big", can you.

BTW, remember back when laws were passed saying that people buying cold medicine like Sudafed, ahd to fill out registration papers and the medicine had to be kept in areas away from the buying public? Some conservatives complained that this was (a) ridiculous; and (b) set a dangerous precedent of government expanding their control over more and more innocuous things, all because criminals might use some of it in crimes. Big-govt leftists pooh-poohed the idea, and lambasted the conservatives for being paranoid anti-govt "haters". Don't be silly, they said, there's no reason to think govt will expand such restrictions.

That was then, this is now. Have a look at the written explanation from Schwarzenegger justifying his signing this "ammo registration" bill (highlighted below). Sure enough, he says that since the old Sudafed-registration laws didn't intrude very much, that makes it OK to sign this ammo-registration law, because it won't intrude any more than that one did... just in a different field.

Trust a liberal, and what do you get? More liberalism, more laws, more government, in places you never thought you'd find it.

------------------------------------

Ammunition Bill Signed into Law | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

Ammunition Bill Signed into Law

by Trevor Tamsen 45 mins ago

SACRAMENTO, CA - Before the midnight deadline, Gov. Schwarzenegger acted on 685 bills that were on his desk. He signed 456 and vetoed 229.
One of the bills that he signed was Assembly Bill 962. Schwarzenegger released a statement explaining why he signed the bill
"....Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine.

(Full text of this article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Incorporation of the 2nd Amendment can't come fast enough.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
I can't tell you how many times I wrote and called the Governors office on this one, I am a bit in shock that he signed it. This bill in no way will reduce crime, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it creates more crime, as a new black market can now arise. Gun stores in the neighboring "free states" are stoked, as they will get a pretty significant increase in ammo sales.

California, I can't get out of here soon enough.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 10-13-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
BTW, I've had a few people tell me that laws like this, are meant only to crack down on criminals, people who would use the products illegally and criminally.

Their trust in government is touching. And misguided. How long will it be before someone who buys ammo for his teenager's .22 plinker, finds the same kind of "mistake" coming his way?

There's a reason why governments are not given too much power... or they used to not be.

----------------------------------

Hoosier Grandmother Arrested for Buying Cold Medication - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Hoosier Grandmother Arrested for Buying Cold Medication

Radley Balko | September 28, 2009

Last March, Sally Harpold, an Indiana grandmother of triplets, bought two boxes of cold medication in less than a week. Together, the two boxes contained 3.6 grams of pseudoephedrine, putting her in violation of the state's methamphetamine-fighting law, which forbids the purchase of more than three grams by one person in a seven-day period.

While the law was written with the intent of stopping people from purchasing large quantities of drugs to make methamphetamine, the law does not say the purchase must be made with the intent to make meth. “The law does not make this distinction,” Alexander said...

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I don't see why law abiding citizens should worry about having to show id when buying ammo. What's the big deal?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't see why law abiding citizens should worry about having to show id when buying ammo. What's the big deal?
Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, right?

Conversely, I don't see why the .gov should have to worry about law abiding citizens buying ammo.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, right?

Conversely, I don't see why the .gov should have to worry about law abiding citizens buying ammo.
According to the article he is worried about felons and gang members buying it. So, all you gotta do is prove you are not a criminal, and you can buy all the ammo you want. What's the big deal? What am I missing here? When I was younger, I often had to show my ID to prove my age. Big deal.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
ahhhh yes, a gang member will walk into a gun shop and buy ammo. Oh please.....he stepped on his crank by signing this bull into law.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Law abiding citizens will buy ammo for crack dealers for a kickback, esp. in this bad economy. Bullets cannot be readily traced back to the seller.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to the article he is worried about felons and gang members buying it. So, all you gotta do is prove you are not a criminal, and you can buy all the ammo you want. What's the big deal? What am I missing here? When I was younger, I often had to show my ID to prove my age. Big deal.
I thought I was innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of my peers. I guess now i am required to prove my innocence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies