Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

From what I gather the tribal police arrested these men outside of their legal jurisdiction. Not unlike if say a group of police from another city came into yours and arrested you at gun point. Or another state for that matter. As some have pointed out Indian res. are like a country unto themselves. What if police from Mexico came up to Ohio and arrested someone? Without clearance through our fed gov, state gov or even local gov? I am quite certain there would be a big problem over such an action.
Having just finished an Elk hunt of my own I can see why these guys might be a bit Irrate. By the way I had no issues with any Tribal police in Wyoming and I had the pleasure of meeting a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Civil rights violations are not "inconveniences" and lawsuits over that are not frivolous in the least. Tell me, did you support segregation in the 60's?
What "civil right" was violated? Even the ACLU will laugh at this as a rights violation. Three armed men were detained, questioned at the scene and subsequently released. It happens every day in every major city in this country.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
What "civil right" was violated? Even the ACLU will laugh at this as a rights violation. Three armed men were detained, questioned at the scene and subsequently released. It happens every day in every major city in this country.
You seem to be misinformed,there were not three armed men at all.

Also the weapon that was used for the hunt is not considered a firearm by federal law,it was a muzzle loader.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You seem to be misinformed,there were not three armed men at all.

Also the weapon that was used for the hunt is not considered a firearm by federal law,it was a muzzle loader.

There were two other weapons in the truck. A rifle and a handgun.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM

As those were not in view the police had no idea they were there...I doubt the police had X-ray vision.....

The only weapon openly displayed was a muzzle loader that is not considered a firearm by law.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
4th Amendment rights.

If you bothered to research this any you'd know this was illegal, what was done.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 AM

The issue here is was the detention legal?

The state Fish and Wildlife deputy chief stated:

Quote:
"I can confirm, based on preliminary information, that on Saturday afternoon, Oct. 3, Port Gamble S'Kallam tribal police detained a non-Indian hunter, and some of his friends and family, on non-tribal land after he had killed an elk in the Brinnon area of the Hood Canal.
Quote:
"Also, at the time of the incident, the hunter was in an open area for licensed hunters with a special permit to hunt elk with a muzzle loader rifle," Cenci added.

"And yes, the hunter had a valid state hunting license."
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/ar...news/310089996

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Yep Oz, which made it an illegal stop and detention...I think certain posters are just so full of hate towards anyone who owns a gun they're willing to defend illegal actions, or perhaps they're just trolling...

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Yep Oz, which made it an illegal stop and detention...I think certain posters are just so full of hate towards anyone who owns a gun they're willing to defend illegal actions, or perhaps they're just trolling...
I think it is most likely both reasons....

This seems to be a good source of info:

Peninsula Daily News: Local Sports, Shopping, Dining, Lodging, Medical, Jobs, Homes, Cars, Classifieds, Obituaries, Services for Olympic Peninsula, Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Sequim, Forks, Jefferson County, Clallam County, Washington

Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
4th Amendment rights.

If you bothered to research this any you'd know this was illegal, what was done.
LOL a constitutional scholar. The police love people like you. No charges will be filed. No rights were violated. The police were investigating whether an elk was illegally taken. Apparently they decide it had not been taken illegally and let the hunters go on their way after detaining and questioning them. Routine police work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies