Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
No one said the apt complex owners didn't have the right to ban (at least I didn't say it) but the renters, in turn, also had the right to challenge. (they are paying customers after all).

I'll say what I've been saying, the apartment complex owners' reasoning isn't good reasoning.
I don't think they have the right to challenge it. When you are living on someone else's property, you have to go along with their rules.

But oh well, the story became public - people became outraged and the management company folded. Crazy hysteria wins again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't think they have the right to challenge it. When you are living on someone else's property, you have to go along with their rules.

But oh well, the story became public - people became outraged and the management company folded. Crazy hysteria wins again.
When you're paying money to live on someone else's property, that gives you a lot of leverage to negotiate the rules.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

It would be nice if people could just fly an American Flag but soon it'll be sports team flags, state flags, cheap chinese plastic flags and the place will look cheap

Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
If that were always the case then there wouldn't be any constitutional amendments.

overseas, we weren't allowed to fly American flags over our chu's, we weren't in the US so I completely respected it.

But here in the United States, those residents aren't able to fly a US flag?

The apartment complex is not an embassy.

Let's break the rule down to its core: the owners didn't want anyone getting offended by flying the US flag (we're not even talking Confederate here). That is baseless...why? Because someone who is retarded enough to come to the United States would be even more retarded to be offended by the flag.

That's like transferring from a small company to a larger one, but cringing everytime you see the larger company's logo.
The apartment complex is not an embassy. But it is a business. The management of the business has an interest in the appearance of the apartments because, like it or not, they are selling a certain lifestyle. There is a local apartment complex nearby that requires all apartment owners to have the newspapers picked up by 9:30 am. Because they want to keep the units looking clean, tidy, and uniform. Because they want to keep the lawns well-manicured. And newspapers laying around for days detracts from the image they are trying to maintain, the lifestyle they are selling to potential renters. Flags, banners and other paraphernalia can bring down the appearance of apartment units when there are no rules enforced about their display. Flags of different sizes, flags that have not been properly maintained, flags that incorporate different designs, if several units are all displaying different flags, if they don't honor the flags properly, if the flags are not standard, then even an American flag can be offensive to someone. It's much easier from a property management perspective to simply bar all flags, then to try to specify what is allowed and what is not.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:09 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The apartment complex is not an embassy. But it is a business. The management of the business has an interest in the appearance of the apartments because, like it or not, they are selling a certain lifestyle. There is a local apartment complex nearby that requires all apartment owners to have the newspapers picked up by 9:30 am. Because they want to keep the units looking clean, tidy, and uniform. Because they want to keep the lawns well-manicured. And newspapers laying around for days detracts from the image they are trying to maintain, the lifestyle they are selling to potential renters. Flags, banners and other paraphernalia can bring down the appearance of apartment units when there are no rules enforced about their display. Flags of different sizes, flags that have not been properly maintained, flags that incorporate different designs, if several units are all displaying different flags, if they don't honor the flags properly, if the flags are not standard, then even an American flag can be offensive to someone. It's much easier from a property management perspective to simply bar all flags, then to try to specify what is allowed and what is not.

Then they were foolish to think that it would go through without backlash. There should have been guidelines...but it seems they wanted to take the 'easy' way.

The apartment owners fly their flag (hey it's their right...but it sure as hell is a slap in the face)

You mention cleanliness, but the manager's used the word "offensive", if they had used your pov above it would've made much more sense.

and even sports stickers...on cars. That's reaching if I ever seen it.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Then they were foolish to think that it would go through without backlash. There should have been guidelines...but it seems they wanted to take the 'easy' way.

The apartment owners fly their flag (hey it's their right...but it sure as hell is a slap in the face)

You mention cleanliness, but the manager's used the word "offensive", if they had used your pov above it would've made much more sense.

and even sports stickers...on cars. That's reaching if I ever seen it.
I think that the owners are now saying that the policy didn't affect personal vehicles, and that the manager who spoke to the man who complained was misinterpreting the policy, and was therefore in the wrong.

I grew up in a home where any lack of cleanliness would have been considered "offensive", by the way.

The apartment owners are trying to uphold certain standards by their policies. They have a blanket policy about displaying banners, flags and so on. An apartment manager extended that blanket policy too far. A tenant used the media to clarify the blanket policy.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I think that the owners are now saying that the policy didn't affect personal vehicles, and that the manager who spoke to the man who complained was misinterpreting the policy, and was therefore in the wrong.
Hence the 'reaching' term.

Quote:
I grew up in a home where any lack of cleanliness would have been considered "offensive", by the way.
Thus banning something for being 'offensive' is too general a reason.

Quote:
The apartment owners are trying to uphold certain standards by their policies. They have a blanket policy about displaying banners, flags and so on. An apartment manager extended that blanket policy too far. A tenant used the media to clarify the blanket policy.
Key

Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
You misunderstood completely.

To clarify: I meant that it would make more sense for someone to be offended by a US flag if they weren't in the US. But if it's enough for you to come here and live, but you get offended by the sight of the US flag then you should rethink your move.

And THAT'S why I think the apt. complex owners' don't have good reasoning, because I don't think immigrants that come here even care enough to get offended by the flag.
But what about the scenario I just suggested? You're IN France, and the apartment owner tells you that you can't fly a French flag, that you can't fly ANY flag at all. You're not getting OUR point. "No flags." means NO flags. Not "No flags except the U.S. flag." He allows that one, he has to allow any flag someone wants to fly. Your neighbor can fly an Iraqi flag right next to yours, or a hammer and sickle flag.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what kind of flagpole these people are using to fly these flags--that does not connect in any way to the owner's property. Dig a hole--hey, that's the owner's property, not yours. Drill a hole in the wall? Owner's property, not yours.

I think Natalay had it right, by the way. If it's that danged important to you, then own your OWN property, and you can do whatever you like on it that's not prohibited by law. You might even get away with stuff that IS prohibited by law, if no one complains. If you don't own it, you've really got no say.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But what about the scenario I just suggested? You're IN France, and the apartment owner tells you that you can't fly a French flag, that you can't fly ANY flag at all. You're not getting OUR point. "No flags." means NO flags. Not "No flags except the U.S. flag." He allows that one, he has to allow any flag someone wants to fly. Your neighbor can fly an Iraqi flag right next to yours, or a hammer and sickle flag.
So what if I'm in France, Germany or Russia? The country of origin is the country of origin (and yes that applies to all). As I said before, overseas we were not allowed to have US flags flying over our chu's, but the host country's flag was authorized.

First you say: the property owner DOES WHAT HE WANTS (his property)
Then you say: if he (property owner) allows one flag he HAS to allow all flags...

What happened to the manager doing what he wants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies