Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

In Preston Hollow Elementary, the principal allowed white children to be in classes amongst themselves. I don't want to pass judgement or a biased view. Read the article and let me know me what you think

News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | News: Education (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/111806dnmetprestonhollow.31e7a33.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 PM

61 posts, read 78,016 times
Looks like the game is up and the parents will either move or send their kids to private schools, because it's clear from the article that they like having kids with their own culture. I don't blame them, they want the best educational environment for their children and the test scores for minority children do not lie, they will slow down the classes. No parent with any self-worth would allow their own child to be in a suboptimal classroom, ever.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 PM

436 posts, read 873,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In Preston Hollow Elementary, the principal allowed white children to be in classes amongst themselves. I don't want to pass judgement or a biased view. Read the article and let me know me what you think

News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | News: Education (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/111806dnmetprestonhollow.31e7a33.html - broken link)
Why the minority don't want to have their own classes? It is hard to imagine that if Asian kids will dislike the idea that they have their own class in the school. Their test score will shot above the roof. And white kids will cry to try to join these kind of class. This is what happen in California.

Interesting observation. It is the good that always try to break away from the bad. Sometime this is not about races, it is more about the learning desire and heritage.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:12 PM

61 posts, read 78,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Interesting observation. It is the good that always try to break away from the bad.
That actually is the most profound thing I've heard in a long, long time. Thank you for making that observation.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingStar View Post
Looks like the game is up and the parents will either move or send their kids to private schools, because it's clear from the article that they like having kids with their own culture.
They should, indeed, take their idiocy and their kids to a private school. I feel for their kids actually, and hope they're more grown up than whoever chooses to segregate in America.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've known some pretty dumb white kids so I'm not going to assume this was done because whites=smart, others=dumb. I think kids should be grouped in classes based on their ability. I know that isn't the current trend but that's how it was when I was a kid. We worked harder because we wanted to end up in a class that was considered "smarter" than the other ones. It didn't always work but I have to say that our self esteem didn't suffer and we all got the education we needed. The teachers specialized in ways to teach the classes they had and tailored everything to their abilities. Or lack of.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Why the minority don't want to have their own classes? It is hard to imagine that if Asian kids will dislike the idea that they have their own class in the school. Their test score will shot above the roof. And white kids will cry to try to join these kind of class. This is what happen in California.

Interesting observation. It is the good that always try to break away from the bad. Sometime this is not about races, it is more about the learning desire and heritage.
Interesting take but what about forming classes based on academic achievement instead of race?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
The parents should take their kids and move them into private school. Tax dollars should not be allocated for this type of segregation. It would be different if this was based on academic achievement that was equal across the board and some classes ended up having majority white students. To do this based on race is taking America back 60 years and shame on the parents for co-signing this BS.

Last edited by drkman; 10-14-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 05:39 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
The principal should be fired.

Also, for those that say it was about acheivement, nothing in the article suggests that it was about ability. Going to lunch at a different time than minority students has nothing to do with acheivement.

The district should be sued as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

This article is from 3 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies