Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Report: Unsafe abortions kill 70,000 annually - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091014/ap_on_re_us/us_abortion_worldwide - broken link)

If only birth control was more openly accepted in these countries, perhaps abortion would not be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
It's interesting how the legality of abortion doesn't seem to affect the overall number of abortions. The lowest abortion rates were found in the Netherlands, which has relatively few abortion restrictions even compared to other European countries.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Isn't it even more interesting that the far left is against the death penalty even for proven, beyond-the-shadow-of-a-doubt, murderers and they weep and wail when a dog or cat dies but for some strange reason, they see killing an unborn child as a "personal choice".

P.S. - They also see "euthanasia" of the elderly and disabled as acceptable. And then they have the nerve to call themselves compassionate and act morally superior!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Isn't it even more interesting that the far left is against the death penalty even for proven, beyond-the-shadow-of-a-doubt, murderers and they weep and wail when a dog or cat dies but for some strange reason, they see killing an unborn child as a "personal choice".

P.S. - They also see "euthanasia" of the elderly and disabled as acceptable. And then they have the nerve to call themselves compassionate and act morally superior!
Where is all this coming from? This is completely off topic. Just another reason for you to whine about liberals.

And for your information, I am a liberal who is FOR the death penalty.

Stay on topic.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Where is all this coming from? This is completely off topic. Just another reason for you to whine about liberals.

And for your information, I am a liberal who is FOR the death penalty.

Stay on topic.
I am on topic and one thing I never do is "whine". I state my case, whereas liberals will scream and yell like spoiled kids until they get what they want.

Regardless. The topic is about abortion. You stated in the opening post that you thought if birth control was more available, then abortion wouldn't be needed. Perhaps this is true, but if people who didn't want a child could exercise more self-restraint, then killing an unexpected child wouldn't be on the radar, would it? If you make a decision to have sex and then get pregnant, then it's time to grow up and own up to your responsibility (I say "you" in the non-personal sense).
Maybe one day I'll get tired of looking after my 4 year old girl and decide to "do away" with her in a "safe" manner. Of course I would never think of actually doing that but what's the difference if the child is pre-born or is several years old?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Regardless. The topic is about abortion. You stated in the opening post that you thought if birth control was more available, then abortion wouldn't be needed. Perhaps this is true, but if people who didn't want a child could exercise more self-restraint, then killing an unexpected child wouldn't be on the radar, would it? If you make a decision to have sex and then get pregnant, then it's time to grow up and own up to your responsibility (I say "you" in the non-personal sense).
Maybe one day I'll get tired of looking after my 4 year old girl and decide to "do away" with her in a "safe" manner. Of course I would never think of actually doing that but what's the difference if the child is pre-born or is several years old?

One big difference is a fertilized egg IS NOT a child.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
I am on topic and one thing I never do is "whine". I state my case, whereas liberals will scream and yell like spoiled kids until they get what they want.

Did you know that much of the world is NOT made up of comfortable, self-determining, middle class Americans? Please stay on topic.

"[T]he report said 40 percent of the world's women live in countries with highly restrictive abortion laws, virtually all of them in the developing world. This category includes 92 percent of the women in Africa and 97 percent in Latin America, it said.
"'The bad news is that where most of the poor women live, throughout the developing world, unsafe abortion remains high, and women are dying as a result of it,' she said. 'It's so preventable, and that's the tragedy.'"

Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Report: Unsafe abortions kill 70,000 annually - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091014/ap_on_re_us/us_abortion_worldwide - broken link)

If only birth control was more openly accepted in these countries, perhaps abortion would not be needed.
Absolutely, if birth control was more socially acceptable in the countries mentioned in the article, the need felt by so many women to have abortions would be eased considerably, and lives would be saved.

Additionally, if safe abortions - performed by qualified doctors or other medical personnel - were available, the number of women killed by unsafe abortions would be significantly reduced.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I want pro-lifers to take a good long look at that number.

Women will get abortions regardless of saftey, and regardless of legality. If you were successful, all you are going to do, is drive women to back room doctors, with a butter knife who is likely to kill both the mother and child.

If I were a pro-lifer, I would be behind education, and prevention. By prevention, I don't mean abstinence, I mean birth control, the mourning after pill, and condoms.

That is the only realistic way to lower the abortion rate, not saying "Just don't have sex". We all have animal instincts, and we all enjoy sex, and we are all hardwired to want to reproduce. Sorry folks, the no sex, no abortion argument just doesn't work.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 AM

480 posts, read 878,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If I were a pro-lifer, I would be behind education, and prevention. By prevention, I don't mean abstinence, I mean birth control, the mourning after pill, and condoms.

That is the only realistic way to lower the abortion rate, not saying "Just don't have sex". We all have animal instincts, and we all enjoy sex, and we are all hardwired to want to reproduce. Sorry folks, the no sex, no abortion argument just doesn't work.
Couldn't agree more. I'm pro-choice, but I would be delighted if there were zero abortions in this world. The root cause of abortion is unwanted pregnancy, and I wish more pro-lifers would focus on reducing uwanted pregancies in a realistic way, via affordable and easily accessible birth control methods, instead of trying to force their morals regarding sexuality on everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies