Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So, judging by this list from the past 9 hurricane seasons. Every year but 2005 was an El nino?
Historically the average has been 11 per year. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but almost always less on El Nino years. But then there tends to be more in the Pacific during El nino years. The scientists seem split on whether hotter temps would increase the number of storms or actually decrease them. The warmer water would guarantee more intense hurricanes, but some scientists suggest that it is harder for them to form because hotter air causes more upper atmosphere currents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,883,218 times
The increased hurricane activity and storms goes back to 2004 when a IPCC lead author made that claim in a press conference when the there was nothing to support it. It led Chris Landsea and expert in the field to resign, here's snippet and link to his resignation:

Quote:
- Prometheus: Chris Landsea Leaves IPCC Archives

It is beyond me why my colleagues would utilize the media to push an unsupported agenda that recent hurricane activity has been due to global warming. Given Dr. Trenberth’s role as the IPCC’s Lead Author responsible for preparing the text on hurricanes, his public statements so far outside of current scientific understanding led me to concern that it would be very difficult for the IPCC process to proceed objectively with regards to the assessment on hurricane activity. My view is that when people identify themselves as being associated with the IPCC and then make pronouncements far outside current scientific understandings that this will harm the credibility of climate change science and will in the longer term diminish our role in public policy.

My concerns go beyond the actions of Dr. Trenberth and his colleagues to how he and other IPCC officials responded to my concerns. I did caution Dr. Trenberth before the media event and provided him a summary of the current understanding within the hurricane research community. I was disappointed when the IPCC leadership dismissed my concerns when I brought up the misrepresentation of climate science while invoking the authority of the IPCC. Specifically, the IPCC leadership said that Dr. Trenberth was speaking as an individual even though he was introduced in the press conference as an IPCC lead author; I was told that that the media was exaggerating or misrepresenting his words, even though the audio from the press conference and interview tells a different story (available on the web directly); and that Dr. Trenberth was accurately reflecting conclusions from the TAR, even though it is quite clear that the TAR stated that there was no connection between global warming and hurricane activity. The IPCC leadership saw nothing to be concerned with in Dr. Trenberth's unfounded pronouncements to the media, despite his supposedly impartial important role that he must undertake as a Lead Author on the upcoming AR4.
The media ate it up has been running with it since.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,323,485 times
The real problem with talking about hurricanes in the context of AGW is that it is very time sensitive. Move of the relevant information that suggests an uptick in hurricane activity relating to global warming (either man made or cyclical) is that we are 4 years past the panic.

Since 2005 the total number of cyclone activity has fallen off the table and since reaching historic highs in 2005 we are now delving down to 30 year lows in activity.

For the AGW crowd it would have been nice to capture time in a bottle but you can only do that in song…

For your viewing pleasure….
Attached Thumbnails
If Global Warming equals more storms, where are they?-tc-accumulated-cyclone-energy.jpg  

Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,084,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
LMAO! I was thinking the SAME THING!
me too. It gets old.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,047,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
As time goes on..people will finally realize what a fraud global warming really is...

Metro - Scientists mull quiet ’09 hurricane season (http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/08/10/23/4727-82/index.xml - broken link)#
Your own article

Quote:
But Eisenson cautions that looking at one season’s activity cannot determine whether a long-term trend is or is not happening.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Your own article

however, looking at a 30 year trend can give a solid picture....

we have that. It doesnt suggest hurricanes are getting stronger due to AGW.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:28 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,432,455 times
Lightbulb Glacial retreat; across the globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
As time goes on..people will finally realize what a fraud global warming really is...

Metro - Scientists mull quiet ’09 hurricane season (http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/08/10/23/4727-82/index.xml - broken link)#
You sound unhappy.

Just remember this; glaciers don't melt because the temperature is staying the same.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You sound unhappy.

Just remember this; glaciers don't melt because the temperature is staying the same.
No one has suggested that temp. is static.

your problem is, you have yet to prove that the lack of stability in temperature is a result of human activity.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,298,421 times
I don't think anybody is suggesting it's not getting warmer. It has been for 10,000 years. Please explain what caused the glaciers that covered present-day Maine or Washington to melt before the modern industrial era.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,047,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
however, looking at a 30 year trend can give a solid picture....

we have that. It doesnt suggest hurricanes are getting stronger due to AGW.
At lot of things affect cyclones. Hurricanes are a regional phenomenon so let be careful about global conclusions based upon regional observations. There have been some major cyclones in the Pacific this year. What we can say at this point is that the data are inconclusive.

From a prediction standpoint we can say warmer sea surface temperature should produce more and larger cyclones, but there may be other factors at work too. Wind shear is detrimental to cyclone formation. If global warming also increases wind shear in the cyclone areas, one could offset the other. We know El Nino has a significant impact on Atlantic Hurricanes. If the thermohaline circulation changes the El Nino, it could change hurricane frequency and intensity.

Science is not about being "right," it is about advancing our frontier of knowledge and then using that knowledge to our benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies