Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
1. Complete welfare reform.
2. Put that Border Fence up-and stop providing free services for illegals. Also, if an illegal has a child in the U.S, the child is not considered a U.S citizen but an illegal.
3. Civilians required to serve X amount of time in the military-then they could have college or vocational training paid for when their duty is served.
4. National public transportation. Get rid of the local buses.
5. Legalize marijuana.
Man.....the number of posters here who want to LEGALIZE pot is ridiculous!
BAD idea!
It shall remain a VERY profitable black market commodity for TRUE free market Capitalists to obtain tax free, unregulated income.
With such enormous job loss and high unemployment now.....today's moonshiners don't need stills.......just seeds.
Just need to be good farmer and hope that the 50 don't huff, puff and kick your door down taking your garden and YOU into custody.

It SHOULD be legal......but it ain't gonna happen until Congress and/or the Supreme Court decide to allow it.
Decriminalization is the BEST you can hope for, it would appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
First I'd like to say to the OP, that if you really like what Europe does so much, why are you here?
Europe does some things that work and so do we. It is stupid to disregard something that another country does better simply because you feel it's not American enough.

Making decisions exclusively on principle is a quick path to failure.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Term limits for Congressmen
Secure our borders (for real)
No welfare for mothers with over two children
Ban cell phones while driving
Fairtax
Capping child credit/child dependent exemption at two, effective with all dependents born 9.5 months after the effective date.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Here are five vague items that we Americans could improve upon, in my eyes:

1. Live for the long-term instead of seeking instant gratification.
2. Live within one's means.
3. Live and let live.
4. Live modestly and civilly.
5. Live toward increasing knowledge and wisdom.

Now... do as I say, not as I do!
Good stuff.
May I add, take responsibility for ourselves and our own outcomes.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
  1. Nothing can be added to a bill unless it is directly related to the original intent of the bill. Doing this would eliminate a great majority of pork spending.
  2. With the exception of medical purposes, it is illegal to ask some one their race on documents like college loan application, job application, application to public school, etc.
  3. Go back to neighbor hood school districts, regardless of the racial make up of the school. Students would spend less time on buses and the school districts would save money on fuel for the buses. Also, more students would be able to walk or ride a bicycle to school and those parents without a vehicle can walk to school to pick up their child.
  4. Close all our foreign bases and station those troops (airmen, soldiers, sailors, & marines) along our border with Mexico and Cuba (water border).
  5. Cease all funding to the United Nations and revoke their property lease. Demand all UN diplomats and their staff pay any and all fines before leaving the country (that would may the NYPD happy). Demolish the UN building after our CIA and FBI has had a chance to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I'd also bring back line item veto. If the president vetos one item in the bill then send it back to the legislature for a public vote on whether or not to over turn the president's veto of that one part of the bill (usually a pork project). Let their votes be on record.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Televised classrooms so parents can see what their children are being indoctrinated with.
how their children behave and hold parents accountable for it.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 AM

201 posts, read 470,162 times
1-TAX reform of some kind. Flat tax or a national sales tax. And Property tax on a primary residence should be illegal.

2-Term limits on any elected office and Supreme court justices(maybe they should have to be elected).

3-Eliminate some of the over lap in goverment, Do I really need ,City,county,state and federal governing me, The guy down the street in the county has no city goverment and his property tax is 30% less then mine.

4-Stop dictating what a business should pay employees. If you don't like the pay, quit.

5- No child under 16 should be allowed in church.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
1-TAX reform of some kind. Flat tax or a national sales tax. And Property tax on a primary residence should be illegal.

2-Term limits on any elected office and Supreme court justices(maybe they should have to be elected).

3-Eliminate some of the over lap in goverment, Do I really need ,City,county,state and federal governing me, The guy down the street in the county has no city goverment and his property tax is 30% less then mine.

4-Stop dictating what a business should pay employees. If you don't like the pay, quit.

5- No child under 16 should be allowed in church.
Why wouldn't you allow children under 16 in churches???

I take my grandkids to church all the time.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Originally Posted by obo
"First I'd like to say to the OP, that if you really like what Europe does so much, why are you here"

For one thing, Europe isn't as easy to stay in illegaly. They actually check IDs there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies