Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times

Advertisements

1.Shorten the work days/commutes: people spend too much time at work to pay for housing and cars instead of being active or with their families, I think this wrecks families more than gay marraige or abortions, etc. Your commute time should be a portion of a 40 hour work week, not an addition to it.
2. Cheaper rent/mortgage payments: same reason as above
3. End welfare/unemployment and replace it with work programs. Not excessive hours, but you have to do something to get some money. Examples, mow park lawns or clean parks, hold those construction signs, work at animal shelters, libraries, clean schools or be a class aid to teachers, we have more than enough work to do in this world that needs doing, and the private sector shouldn't deem whats worthwhile.
4. End our 24/7 culture, the only things that need to be 24/7 are police, fire, and hospitals.
5. Less consumption, more savings, more doing simple things that are free.

I think we overwork and are overstressed, thats why our divorce rates are 50%, our children fail compared to other children in the world, and we have a horrible income gap. It may not be a direct cause, but I believe its the root of a lot of our problems. My 5 reflect that I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
3. End welfare/unemployment and replace it with work programs. Not excessive hours, but you have to do something to get some money. Examples, mow park lawns or clean parks, hold those construction signs, work at animal shelters, libraries, clean schools or be a class aid to teachers, we have more than enough work to do in this world that needs doing, and the private sector shouldn't deem whats worthwhile.
4. End our 24/7 culture, the only things that need to be 24/7 are police, fire, and hospitals.
All of your points were good but I'm only going to address these two. I do think a work (or volunteer) requirement would be beneficial for unemployment recipients but it has to be flexible enough to allow them to seriously look for work and go on interviews. The majority of governmental offices are open during business hours so if the recipient are only allowed to fulfill their work requirement during these hours, then there isn't much leeway in terms of job hunting, networking and going on interviews as a majority of businesses are only open during the week.

I wholeheartedly agree about the whole 24/7 culture as people should be at home with their families in the evenings and especially on Sundays.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The Bible is far from a fairy tale book considering all the prophesies that have came true. The Bible gives us an accurate picture of the time that we currently live in and it always blows my mind at the accuracy of it. You are free to not believe if you wish but don't expect serious debate if you persist in insulting the beliefs of a MAJORITY of Americans.
Yeah, and the Mayan Calendar also gives an accurate picture. That's because history is nothing but cycles of the same things over and over again. Know what else the Mayan Calendar and the bible have in common? They were both written under the influence of psychedelic substances.

The majority once believed in segregation and the subjugation of women (the latter is one of the major themes in the bible, go figure), too. Since when is the majority always right? You people need to spend more time on learning proper grammar and spelling and less time on your silly beliefs.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Yeah, and the Mayan Calendar also gives an accurate picture. That's because history is nothing but cycles of the same things over and over again. Know what else the Mayan Calendar and the bible have in common? They were both written under the influence of psychedelic substances.

The majority once believed in segregation and the subjugation of women (the latter is one of the major themes in the bible, go figure), too. Since when is the majority always right? You people need to spend more time on learning proper grammar and spelling and less time on your silly beliefs.
I won't waste any further time with this discussion because of your closed-mindedness. I just pray that you learn the truth before it's too late. Take care of yourself.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
3. End welfare/unemployment and replace it with work programs. Not excessive hours, but you have to do something to get some money.
Can I just say real quick about this one, this already IS the situation with welfare and has been for years.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I like the idea of changing to the Metric System.
I use it in Europe and base 10 just makes sense; we're behind the rest of the world with that.

There's only one thing I would change.
Religious involvement in any way in politics.
I personally believe that almost all problems in the US have their basis in religion and hypocrisy (to me, they are the same).

_
To Odinloke: People make their own commute time and pay what they choose for mortgage/rent.
If you choose to live near work, your commute is shorter and you have more time to enjoy your life.
A lot of what you said is about choices, that has nothing to do with America.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I won't waste any further time with this discussion because of your closed-mindedness. I just pray that you learn the truth before it's too late. Take care of yourself.
MY close-mindedness. Sure.

Anybody who thinks they've found "THE way" has no place to lecture anybody else about "close-mindedness".

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
1. NO campaign contributions and NO "gifts" or "trips" from lobbyist. Campaigns are restricted to 3 months for 2 year terms and 6 months for 4 year term. All media is required to provide free time to candidates and a public fund is required to provide all candidates who poll a minimum of 5% with the same amount of campaign funds. Any candidate or elected official who is discovered accepting any money or gifts from anyone or any thing other than the public fund is automatically eliminated from office.

2. Single Payer health care for all citizens.

3. Troops can not be committed to fight on foreign soil without congressional approval.

4. The end of abortion for anything other than the life of the mother or rape.

5. Tax reform....to many points to list here.

P.S. I agree that we need college football playoffs.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Can I just say real quick about this one, this already IS the situation with welfare and has been for years.

YouTube - Chain Gang - The Supremes

Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
MY close-mindedness. Sure.

Anybody who thinks they've found "THE way" has no place to lecture anybody else about "close-mindedness".
Then let's agree to disagree then. Have a good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies