Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 AM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times

Advertisements

The rise and fall of gas prices are due to supply and demand - nothing more and nothing less. Americans historically have driven more and more as Memorial Day approaches while China (and to a lesser extent, India) is rapidly increasing its demand for oil with its hyperexpansion of its economy. That is what causes gas prices to rise. Bush certainly hasn't done everything right, but people need to realize that basic economic forces are at work regarding gas prices as opposed to some type of failed government policy. The only thing that any level of government really has control over in terms of gas prices is how much it taxes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
"Republicans increased our debt to nearly $9 trillion and have insisted on spending billions of dollars every year on budget-busting tax breaks for special interests and multi-millionaires."

Statements like this are the reason I made the switch from Democrat to Republican. Only Democrats could describe tax reductions as "spending" and then go on to describe solutions through greater spending on various programs. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But considering the Republics can't control their (true) spending either, it seems like crying may be the only option.

Overall the piece was a worthless manipulation of statistics.

What causes higher gas prices and are they really that high when viewed in a historical perspective?

What is driving the high costs of education and healthcare? Could the government artificially increasing demand through government programs and payments be having any effect?

Is the solution to any of these things more government involvement?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Question:
1. Has raising the minimum wage ever hurt the economy? Seems like since the 1970s when I started working, you always hear that when they want to raise it. Has it ever hurt the economy actually? Anyone with stats on that?

And the big thing that is hurting the middle class is fuel costs, because they tie in to the cost of every good you buy. AND insurance and medical costs. Insurance is paying less and what they don't pay is more. I think I read somewhere that most people declare bankruptcy because of medical debts.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Question:
1. Has raising the minimum wage ever hurt the economy? Seems like since the 1970s when I started working, you always hear that when they want to raise it. Has it ever hurt the economy actually? Anyone with stats on that?

And the big thing that is hurting the middle class is fuel costs, because they tie in to the cost of every good you buy. AND insurance and medical costs. Insurance is paying less and what they don't pay is more. I think I read somewhere that most people declare bankruptcy because of medical debts.
raises the cost of living and reduces employment.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
raises the cost of living and reduces employment.
In many places, wages are above the minimum wage, anyway. I don't see any need to raise it. Wage restrictions should only be used when a free market is not present. With minimum wage jobs, there is a free market. Many places can't even fill all of their positions, especially down here in south Florida. So, let the market decide.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
it isnt true where i live, perhaps in other places

Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
Re: The Minimum Wage

The market should determine wages in a perfect world. But what is happening in America is a flood of illegals working under assumed names with little bargaining power are accepting many of the low skilled jobs. The wages are now artificial. If the illegals were all given amnesty then the wages would be forced to rise by the new market.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Re: The Minimum Wage

The market should determine wages in a perfect world. But what is happening in America is a flood of illegals working under assumed names with little bargaining power are accepting many of the low skilled jobs. The wages are now artificial. If the illegals were all given amnesty then the wages would be forced to rise by the new market.
Or if the illegals weren't illegal and could fight for themselves. The way I see it if they are so eager to exploit our country by entering illegally intentionally so they can find work, then the low wages they accept are their fault (along with govt. officials who turn a blind eye so companies can benefit from it).

Illegals wouldn't be over here working for low wages if it wasn't putting them in better situations than they left in Mexico or further south.

As for the decline of the middle class? I don't buy it. The middle class has not declined, but rather gotten much richer. Consumerism and debt are the biggest problems the middle class faces. Then again, I guess it depends on what defines the middle class. I define middle class as those who have food, water, shelter, and basic necessities covered daily, even if it just to a level of survival. I define the poor as those who aren't sure where their next meal is coming from, or if they can continue to afford the roof over their head another day, strictly due to lack of opportunities, not due to ignorant use of their finances. That being said, a middle class person could drop to poor status rather quickly, but I don't know how this is supposed to be much different than the rest of human history.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
Who's earning minimum wage these days? McDonald's starts at $7-8/hour around me.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 17,495 times
My father took out a thirty year mortgage on an Eleven-Thousand-Dollar 3 bedroom house in a family oriented community with a large yard and a garage back in 1959. My parents had four kids in that three bedroom house. My father worked in a factory. My mother was the housewife who cooked and cleaned, occasionally assisted by a housekeeper, watched her soap operas and went to church on Sundays. Her parents from Florida lived with us every summer. Everyday meals were like Thanksgiving dinners.

I think the problem is in the expense of the BASIC necessities, not just frivlolous things likes boats and vacations which are implied to be standards for the middle class.

We just don't have access to the BASICs like shelter and entertainment anymore. I blame corruption because all the arrows point toward Plutocrats and the interests of a few in power. I also worry that foreigners from rich countries are buying real estate, especially in California and New York, and raising the pricepoint for everyone else to buy and rent. Real Estate agents who earn commissions and greedy developers have little interest in building or pricing for affordable homes. It seems as though all these forces together are winning a war against the American Dream AKA the American Way of Life.

I also theorize that housing costs are out of hand because real estate is priced according the market. Now that it is expected that both parents work, house are priced accordingly, and the pricetag for all other things are affected, too. I dare say it is Feminism's downside.

Last edited by capecodjim; 05-09-2007 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies