Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times

Advertisements

I thought the right wing was supposed to be tough, self-reliant go-getters opposing unlimited government power over the individual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Do you realize what you are saying?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you even take the time to look into the fact that once they step foot on soil they get all kinds of rights the same as Americans do?
Indeed. The Guantanamo Bay ruse was a sleazy legal trick to argue that people can be kept at the US Gvt.'s mercy, yet still somehow be outside US jurisdiction. Unbecoming for a civilized country.

Quote:
They do not need to be brought here, they can be tried right where they are at.
Yet, somehow, that hasn't really happened.

Quote:
Why give them rights like you and I have?
I guess it's matter of principles. To quote Jon Stewart, the time to stand by your principles is when it's not risk-free to do so. Otherwise, they're not principles - they're hobbies.

Anyway, I rather like this country that has opened its doors for me, and I'm very happy to see it do the right thing.

Quote:
Who's side are you on anyway?
The side of "No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Quaint, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Oh, oh, Happy Days are here again for the Dems, dims, and liberals. I can only say, "Send 'em all to the blue states!"
Republicans Fail to Block Transfer of Gitmo Detainees - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/15/republicans-fail-bock-transfer-gitmo-detainees/ - broken link)
Excellent news. It is long past time this unfortunate episode was put to rest.
When I think of all of our brave service people at risk because someone can point to Gitmo as justification for their actions, it just make me sick.

Clearly, as other posters have noted, we have the facilities to contain these people and getting economic benefits from their detention seems to me an excellent ROI. We sure weren't reaping any benefits keeping them in Gitmo.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Amazing how this admin and this dem controlled congress continue to make huge mistakes that will cost Americans for a long time to come.

So now what? The dems here on this board post constantly that these people have right. Well, people, they have ZERO damn rights.

They have no right to be on our soil, no right to a fair trail in and on my soil.

It has been proven that many of those released from Gitmo have went right back and are fighting for the enemy but yet this demwit congress wants to give these enemies the right to the American judicial system.

So what do we do now, give them a free legal team to protect their rights?

Now that the democrats want them to come to our soil it is the first step for these group is to give them rights as Americans the same as you and I have.

Watch and learn people, watch how this places out and see how this party and this congress will hand them rights better then you have.

Time to make a change in America and get rid of the democrats and liberalism.

This is just the beginning people, this current congress is a total disaster and we need to find ways to stop them.

Do not let this mistake be forgotten, it will cost Americans a ton in time, wait and see.

This has to be ranked as one for stupidest things ever done by congress ever.

Sad to see this day come when democrats give enemies rights as Americans.
Yeah, when are we going to make star chamber proceedings legal for everyone?

"The term comes from a large room with a ceiling decorated with stars in which secret hearings of the privy council and judges met to determine punishment for disobedience of the proclamations of King Henry VIII of Great Britain (1509-1547). The high-handed, unfair, predetermined judgments, which sent the accused to The Tower of London or to the chopping block, made "star chamber" synonymous with unfairness and illegality from the bench. In modern American history the best example of star chamber proceedings was the conduct of the House UnAmerican Activities Committee (1938-1975) which used its subpena power to intimidate citizens by asking them unconstitutional questions about their political beliefs and associations, and then charging them with contempt of Congress for refusing to answer."

star chamber proceedings legal definition of star chamber proceedings. star chamber proceedings synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies