Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of interracial marriage?
I approve of interracial marriage 163 83.59%
I disapprove of interracial marriage 29 14.87%
Not sure 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,565,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I wouldn't call it, "sick, twisted and hateful", that's waaaay too hyperbolic for me. Mao and Hitler fit that description; this judge is just old fashioned, ignorant and set in his ways. Liberalvoice said her dad was the same way; he didn't think she should marry outside of her race; I wouldn't call her dad, 'Sick, twisted and hateful", he just comes from a different mindset, than you or I.
I agree here. They aren't sick or twisted. I don't know about hateful. That depends on the person.

My dad has never minded any friends of mine of other races coming over. It is only when it comes to marriage. I don't know if that is racist or not though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,814,688 times
[quote=LML;11210190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

Sadly, he is correct that it is difficult for mixed race children to be accepted, however, what he did is clearly wrong. He had absolutely no right to deny the couple a marriage license based solely out of concern for children they may or may not have. That is really none of his business.

QUOTE]

This may have been true 100 years ago but it really isn't true very much anymore. My grandson who is bi-racial is very loved and very accepted by both his black relatives and his white relatives...who, by the way, love and accept one another too. Having taught for many years and still volunteering in the schools I have known literally hundreds of bi-racial kids and you would be surprised how little it impacts on their lives and how easily the majority of them fit into their world and how much they just take their multi racial identity for granted. You would have to laugh at some of the conversations between the kids as they compare their backgrounds...especially now with so many varied hispanic cultures now included from so many different countries. Far from being a problem for them, the majority see it as no big deal at all. So welcome to 2009.
Agreed...my son is accepted right away...we do get comments from the white side of the family...oh here is our Valid Victorian..because he's half Asian.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 PM

22,172 posts, read 19,434,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I wouldn't call it, "sick, twisted and hateful", that's waaaay too hyperbolic for me. Mao and Hitler fit that description; this judge is just old fashioned, ignorant and set in his ways. Liberalvoice said her dad was the same way; he didn't think she should marry outside of her race; I wouldn't call her dad, 'Sick, twisted and hateful", he just comes from a different mindset, than you or I.
Well it certainly is racist. I also think you have a bit of a distinction between what someone wishes for their own children (though I strongly disagree with her parents and feel it probably is a tad racist) as opposed to a Judge who is suppose to be holding up the law.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,705,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well it certainly is racist. I also think you have a bit of a distinction between what someone wishes for their own children (though I strongly disagree with her parents and feel it probably is a tad racist) as opposed to a Judge who is suppose to be holding up the law.
No, I hear ya.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,749,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How can you understand something so sick, twisted and hateful?
Understanding where and how a person's mindset is formed is not the same as agreeing with that mindset. And understanding is essential to knowing how to change that mindset. You have to know why a person thinks in a certain way in order to show them how and why they are wrong.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,749,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree here. They aren't sick or twisted. I don't know about hateful. That depends on the person.

My dad has never minded any friends of mine of other races coming over. It is only when it comes to marriage. I don't know if that is racist or not though.
I would definitely call it racist if the only 'reason' he wouldn't want you to marry them is based on the person's race.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM

88,452 posts, read 84,565,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
It's easy to make a bet that can never be proven.
Lets put this in perspective.
That's 1 refusal out of 8,467,942 marriages of that type.
One crazy old man is just one crazy old man.
Times have changed.
Get used to it.

After the last dragon was dispatched the slayers wept.
But most eventually put their swards away and took jobs with the state.
Those that remained spent their days
menacing shadows
and ageing windmills.
Did you write this? I just searched to see if it was a quote and only your post came up--.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
How did I manage to miss all the memos on what balck people do...I'm filing a complaint with my post office
Uh oh...you must have made the "Oreo" list. They don't get the memos. It's one of the standard-black-people rules.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,362,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Uh oh...you must have made the "Oreo" list. They don't get the memos. It's one of the standard-black-people rules.
It's because I don't like cornbread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Understanding where and how a person's mindset is formed is not the same as agreeing with that mindset. And understanding is essential to knowing how to change that mindset. You have to know why a person thinks in a certain way in order to show them how and why they are wrong.
There was an article in Parade magazine a few years ago about a black man who was living in the Portland, ME, area. Because he had a certain rare subtype in his blood, he donated blood in response to a news item about an older white man whose wife needed blood and had that same subtype.

The white man later called to thank the black man for saving his wife's life, and he said, "I didn't realize you people had the same blood type as us."

The black man telling the story said he didn't get angry at this incredibly ignorant remark because he knew the man genuinely was telling the truth. (Who would say such a thing otherwise?) He just continued to have a conversation with the man. Somehow this white man had spent his entire life honestly believing that black people were a completely different species. And apparently he knows better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies