Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of interracial marriage?
I approve of interracial marriage 163 83.59%
I disapprove of interracial marriage 29 14.87%
Not sure 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No, it is not ok to discriminate against them at all.

Don't worry. America will get over it eventually. It is a matter of time. Especially since younger generations do not even blink an eye at gay/interracial couples.
My sister, who is white, has been with her black husband for more than 30 years. She has witnessed time making a difference. Years ago she and her husband would be the only black/white couple in the mall, and everyone would glance at them. Now no one gives them a second look. Interracial couples are all over the place in the northern suburbs of New Jersey There are also large Indian and Asian populations thrown into the mix. In the past few years I've noticed both an increase in Asian female/black male and white male/black female couples.

She also used to feel afraid to tell other woman that her husband was black because she'd sometimes get negative reactions from both black and white females. Rarely now does anyone seem to care.

It's not that there are no racists left in New Jersey. Some of them are related to me. It's that something that was once frowned upon has become commonplace, and the scary things that were supposed to happen as a result didn't.

It just takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Understanding where and how a person's mindset is formed is not the same as agreeing with that mindset. And understanding is essential to knowing how to change that mindset. You have to know why a person thinks in a certain way in order to show them how and why they are wrong.
Understanding and sympathizing are different. I understand the mentality and to be honest, I don't care how this judge feels in his own house but to impose his opinion on the courts and justifying it by lying and saying he is doing it in the best interest of the couple is wrong. And he is lying. If it was merely about dissolution of marriages, 50% of all marriages end in divorce regardless of the color of the couple so by that logic, he shouldn't support any marriage. I don't think the judge is unaware of this fact and rather used this as an excuse to justify his racist views. I just take issue with anyone who sympathizes with the judge and genuinely believe he had the couple's best interest in mind.

I also think this is more of an issue in the South. And I will admit the South is improving regarding racial tolerance and that is encouraging but they are lagging behind with regard to the rest of the country with tolerance of interracial relationships.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Wow, Im not sure what is more surprising, this racist twit or the 18 that voted on this pole. Perhaps we might be on to something as to why there are relationship woes.... people look on the outside, not the inside.
I have no basis to judge the quality or value of anothers relationship. If they love each other and both want the commitment so be it. Who am I to judge them otherwise?... That goes for sexual orientation too.

Scary the cases this judge saw where the person was of color. I'd hate to be black in his court... but at least I would know I can use his bathroom. whew what a relief.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 PM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Why didn't they just go to another county instead of making an issue out of this.

That Justice of the Peace obviously has a record of being a racist because he's denied marrying couples of different ethnicities before.

Racists and bigots exist, everyone isn't going to love everybody or be welcoming of everything on the planet.

Intolerance, racism and bigotry are borne out of irrational emotions and you can't legislate emotions because people are going to behave the way they want regardless of what the law says.

Get used to it and move on.
If we did that every time something was done that was unfair, unjust or irrational, we'd be in even worse shape as a country. We have to care about other people, it should be impossible not to care! Otherwise, we'd never have gone through the civil rights era or even the Civil War. We would have turned away from the pain and mistreatment of other people simply because they were a different color, just typing this gives me chills to think of what it would be like if the world was truly ignorant of the pain of other individuals.

We've come quite a distance, but we still have a long way to go and it can be done as long as every one of us takes the time to do what is right.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:21 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
hey, don't blame LA for this. Blame the judge himself, end of story!!!

Nita
The region in which that JP presides is rife with that kind of attitude. I dare say the JP is merely a product of his environment, certainly no anomaly. Just so happens that most who share his views out there (fortunately) don't have the power to impose it on others like he did.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:26 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davideinstein View Post
Sort of discomforting that even 15 people disapprove of interracial marriage.

Call me cynical, but in reality I'd be almost certain that the percentage would be higher than that. Most don't have a problem with interracial marriage in theory, until it becomes a reality at their doorstep.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
If we did that every time something was done that was unfair, unjust or irrational, we'd be in even worse shape as a country. We have to care about other people, it should be impossible not to care! Otherwise, we'd never have gone through the civil rights era or even the Civil War. We would have turned away from the pain and mistreatment of other people simply because they were a different color, just typing this gives me chills to think of what it would be like if the world was truly ignorant of the pain of other individuals.

We've come quite a distance, but we still have a long way to go and it can be done as long as every one of us takes the time to do what is right.
I believe in upholding one's rights, which is why this asswipe needs to be given the boot. However, it's not my job to care about other people beyond their freedom.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 AM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I believe in upholding one's rights, which is why this asswipe needs to be given the boot. However, it's not my job to care about other people beyond their freedom.

And I believe that if you take away someone's rights, you're taking away their freedom. Freedom to marry who they choose, for example....

Old 10-18-2009, 02:04 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
I'm waiting for a conservative to say that the people who oppose what this guy did are the real racists somehow.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I certainly approve of interracial relationships and certainly marriage, having participated in the former many times, including my current one. That being said, I am sympathetic to justice, as his concerns for their mixed race offspring is legitimate:

Sadly, he is correct that it is difficult for mixed race children to be accepted, however, what he did is clearly wrong. He had absolutely no right to deny the couple a marriage license based solely out of concern for children they may or may not have. That is really none of his business.

Ahem.. The Taliban reunited Afghanistan and restored order after a long and bloody civil war. They also almost completely eradicated heroin production in the country, which is far more than the US has accomplished.
Depends on what you consider order.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies