Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of interracial marriage?
I approve of interracial marriage 163 83.59%
I disapprove of interracial marriage 29 14.87%
Not sure 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM

69 posts, read 63,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In order to really give foundation to your South-bashing, you should ask cakes if he/she thought this before moving to the South, as St Louis is in the North.
Forget it, he/she's rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I thought St.Louis was the midwest At least that's what Nelly says.
It is.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So according to the poll, about 14% of the people here are complete racists.

Being against interracial marriage is an absolute sign of racism, there's no other reason to be against it.

Seriously, name one rational reason to be against interracial marriage that's not based in ignorance or hatred.
Look, I'm black. I don't hate caucasians. I'll work with them because I have to, but at the end of the day, I just don't want them around me and I sure as heck wouldn't want to date their daughters either...

Old 11-01-2009, 07:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
Look, I'm black. I don't hate caucasians. I'll work with them because I have to, but at the end of the day, I just don't want them around me and I sure as heck wouldn't want to date their daughters either...
You automatically dismiss people because of their color? Do you feel the same about mixed-race people too?

Judging people by skin color is just as despicable from one race as it is from another. Feelings like that are at the very root of the social problems we have throughout the world, and I just don't understand the point in anyone feeling that way.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
I was living with a Black Girl.My Mom told me to play and have my Fun but don't be Marrying that Black Girl

hillman

Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You automatically dismiss people because of their color? Do you feel the same about mixed-race people too?

Judging people by skin color is just as despicable from one race as it is from another. Feelings like that are at the very root of the social problems we have throughout the world, and I just don't understand the point in anyone feeling that way.
They're not to be trusted. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
All of the states in New England had slaves in them in the 18th century, and that means all of them. If you don't believe me, please look at a source. And all of them had abolished slavery by the beginning of the 19th century (NJ was last--1804). The reason for that is largely understood to be the Enlightenment thought that ushered in the Revolution.

My point is and has been--can we have a discussion of race in the U.S. that is both honest and that does not devolve into either regional or personal bashing? I'm hoping we can, but I see little evidence of it here.
Slavery was not completely abolished in NJ until the 13th amendment in 1865. There were still 18 slaves in Jersey in the 1860 census. They called them apprentices, and they were old because they were born before the 1804 date after which point any slaves born had to be freed at 25 for males and 21 for females.

Rhode Island had a riproaring slave trade business going. Some of the descendants of the the biggest slave importer in Rhode Island got together and made a documentary about it (see link). In the town records of Bristol, Rhode Island, a shopkeeper asks that the local area for whipping slaves be moved because blood kept splashing onto his store windows.

Traces of the Trade

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Slavery was not completely abolished in NJ until the 13th amendment in 1865. There were still 18 slaves in Jersey in the 1860 census. They called them apprentices, and they were old because they were born before the 1804 date after which point any slaves born had to be freed at 25 for males and 21 for females.

Rhode Island had a riproaring slave trade business going. Some of the descendants of the the biggest slave importer in Rhode Island got together and made a documentary about it (see link). In the town records of Bristol, Rhode Island, a shopkeeper asks that the local area for whipping slaves be moved because blood kept splashing onto his store windows.

Traces of the Trade
That's all I was trying to say--people were acting like there was never slavery in the North. In another post, I mentioned NJ and the 1804 date too. And when I pointed out that Missouri had slavery until 1865--Missouri Compromise, anyone?--people misread what I was saying and accused me of saying the midwest and mid-Atlantic were southern. I can't believe how easily some people misread simple English. And in any case, some parts of rural Missouri feel very southern, kind of like rural Penntucky.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
They're not to be trusted. That's the point I'm trying to make.
You didn't answer the persons question about mixed race. I am curious do you feel the same way about some one that is biracial black/white mix?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
That's all I was trying to say--people were acting like there was never slavery in the North. In another post, I mentioned NJ and the 1804 date too. And when I pointed out that Missouri had slavery until 1865--Missouri Compromise, anyone?--people misread what I was saying and accused me of saying the midwest and mid-Atlantic were southern. I can't believe how easily some people misread simple English. And in any case, some parts of rural Missouri feel very southern, kind of like rural Penntucky.
Southern Illinois is the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies