Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

citizenkane2, thanks. You just brought this thread down to it's lowest common denominator. We all can flood the thread with examples of rude political conduct but we were casting about for possible solutions or at least a dialogue. What can one say after your one sided videos? Next we'll put up Obama in tribal wear. Then Sanrene will come in with the fact that liberals did it to Bush and what good will this thread be then? Back to square one.

No disrespect intended on my part but you just perpetuate the very thing we're trying to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It seems that people these days cannot accept differing opinions. Should we have a "whaaaaambulance" on call?
Irony? If memory serves me right...you started a thread which stated that people were stalking you. This thread happened immediately after a person disagreed with you and you became frustrated. This was also after you were name calling other posters.

Yee who is without sin, cast the first stone. So pommysmommy, put down the proverbial rock and heed the message.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,703 times
citizenkane2 just proved a point, that a lot of political discourse is simply one-liners and out of context videos. I had seen that video the blonde hair guy at the mic and when they turned it off I thought it was rude, but I hadn't seen the video go on where the guy in the hall says there were 10 people waiting to ask questions and only 10 minutes left, that turns the tables entirely.

A lack of information and ability to accept wrong information is key to our whacked out crazy discourse.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
citizenkane2 just proved a point, that a lot of political discourse is simply one-liners and out of context videos. I had seen that video the blonde hair guy at the mic and when they turned it off I thought it was rude, but I hadn't seen the video go on where the guy in the hall says there were 10 people waiting to ask questions and only 10 minutes left, that turns the tables entirely.

A lack of information and ability to accept wrong information is key to our whacked out crazy discourse.
I saw the same thing..that 2nd video in full totally turned the story around.
They were justified in turning his MIC off in fairness to the 10 behind him.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It seems that people these days cannot accept differing opinions. Should we have a "whaaaaambulance" on call?
I would say, not on boards like this, there are two many that think insults and name calling will prove their points. We have lots of friends that are on both sides and often we have great discussions. Basically we rarely change anyones opinion but we do learn to understand why they have them. Give me my intellient liberal friends and a bottle of two of wine. The only thing better might be a really good football game.

Nita

Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i would say, not on boards like this, there are two many that think insults and name calling will prove their points. We have lots of friends that are on both sides and often we have great discussions. Basically we rarely change anyones opinion but we do learn to understand why they have them. Give me my intellient liberal friends and a bottle of two of wine. The only thing better might be a really good football game.

Nita
Go Chargers!!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You are lamenting the decline of polite political discourse, while also using the term "whaaaaambulance"?

Perhaps the problem is not with differing opinions but with the unabashed stupidity that too often infuses those opinions, no matter where on the political spectrum those opinions fall.
I have to admit that it was a poor choice on my part, and hypocritical, to add on the whaaaaambulance part. Have a great day. Regarding "unabashed stupidty" that judgement call lies with each individual reading the posts.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
I doubt that it was ever possible to have "polite" political debate. There is entirely too much at stake when one "side" or the other gets their way. As long as the government has too much power to oppress us politics is almost a life-or-death type struggle. I think that perhaps the most "polite" debate ever held in this country can be found in The Federalist Papers. Whether that is "polite" is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Personally, I think that much of what people percieve as "impolite" is simply the observation of those who disagree with their foundational beliefs and the frustration of not understanding why others truly disagree.

In my humble opinion, the only "polite" way to really have a political debate would be to talk about the underlying disagreement at the heart of all of our battles. There are those who believe in collectivism and those who believe in individual freedom. There is no midde ground between these two beliefs and this diametric difference is what causes people to become so angered and threatened that they lash out. It is this bias, towards collectivism or freedom, which largely shapes every political position. Either belief essentially attacks the very core of the opposition's core values and very right to live as they see fit. So it is quite understandable that people act the way in which they do because our very human spirit is under attack by the "other" side. Expecting people to accept kindly the defeat of their very existence "politely" is a rather absurd concept.

Collectivism or freedom will battle it out until all men are slaves or all men are free. That wars are fought, punches thrown, and derogatory labels shouted is evidence of this very fierce battle among people about the future of humanity that will continue until it is resolved by the complete anihilation of the "opponents". So all politics really boils down to a choice of a particular fundamental belief in what best serves the human condition. Collective ideals and individual freedoms are doomed to perpetually battle for dominance and it will never be "polite" when so much is at stake.

All I am saying is that whenever you observe someone being "impolite" realize that these people are not insanely defending some arbitrary position zealously for no reason. These people are expressing resultant beliefs that have a deeper core belief. There are no facts, no debates, or anything else which could be introduced which would truly challenge a position taken by faith.

For example, I am a libertarian, even a "perfect" society would still be evil to me. That some government force had to restrict freedoms and oppress a certain group to get the "perfect" outcome for society is all that I need to personally reject it. You could show me a society with 100% employment, completely equal incomes, or any other "just" outcome and I would simply say that a lot of individuals had to be coerced into a form of slavery by an arbitrary and aggressive force.

I hope that I haven't been impolite

Old 10-17-2009, 02:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I doubt that it was ever possible to have "polite" political debate. There is entirely too much at stake when one "side" or the other gets their way. As long as the government has too much power to oppress us politics is almost a life-or-death type struggle. I think that perhaps the most "polite" debate ever held in this country can be found in The Federalist Papers. Whether that is "polite" is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Personally, I think that much of what people percieve as "impolite" is simply the observation of those who disagree with their foundational beliefs and the frustration of not understanding why others truly disagree.

In my humble opinion, the only "polite" way to really have a political debate would be to talk about the underlying disagreement at the heart of all of our battles. There are those who believe in collectivism and those who believe in individual freedom. There is no midde ground between these two beliefs and this diametric difference is what causes people to become so angered and threatened that they lash out. It is this bias, towards collectivism or freedom, which largely shapes every political position. Either belief essentially attacks the very core of the opposition's core values and very right to live as they see fit. So it is quite understandable that people act the way in which they do because our very human spirit is under attack by the "other" side. Expecting people to accept kindly the defeat of their very existence "politely" is a rather absurd concept.

Collectivism or freedom will battle it out until all men are slaves or all men are free. That wars are fought, punches thrown, and derogatory labels shouted is evidence of this very fierce battle among people about the future of humanity that will continue until it is resolved by the complete anihilation of the "opponents". So all politics really boils down to a choice of a particular fundamental belief in what best serves the human condition. Collective ideals and individual freedoms are doomed to perpetually battle for dominance and it will never be "polite" when so much is at stake.

All I am saying is that whenever you observe someone being "impolite" realize that these people are not insanely defending some arbitrary position zealously for no reason. These people are expressing resultant beliefs that have a deeper core belief. There are no facts, no debates, or anything else which could be introduced which would truly challenge a position taken by faith.

For example, I am a libertarian, even a "perfect" society would still be evil to me. That some government force had to restrict freedoms and oppress a certain group to get the "perfect" outcome for society is all that I need to personally reject it. You could show me a society with 100% employment, completely equal incomes, or any other "just" outcome and I would simply say that a lot of individuals had to be coerced into a form of slavery by an arbitrary and aggressive force.

I hope that I haven't been impolite
Quite the contrary. That was an interesting and insightful post.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
It is difficult to have a polite political discussion because many people who discuss politics are emotional about it. Not only that, many people look at political views as a matter of life and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies