Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

More than 80 Israeli students have announced their refusal to serve in the Israeli military because of what they call their nation's track-record of oppression in the occupied territories.

The conscientious objectors issued a letter declaring their determination not to join up during a news conference in Tel Aviv in protest against the government's policies towards Gaza and the West Bank.

Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Israeli youths reject army call-up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
1) Al Jazeera is kind of biased a la Fox News and is notorious for "twisting" stories a bit

2) That said, if you do a search on Haaretz or Jerusalem Post (more likely on Haaretz since it's a bit more "left leaning"), you'll see that this is far from the first time this has happened, it's just not reported much outside of Israel. There's even a whole organization of ex-military in Israel against the "occupation" (I put in quotes because I think it's a bit more complicated than a simple "occupation", though I would agree that a solution beyond the status quo is needed, Israel does need "security" but I don't think it's even in it's own best interests to forever "control" an area dominated by people who basically want them off the face of the earth).

Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,318 times
They are obviously anti-Sem....no, I can't say it....last time I said it I was given an infraction by a pompous moderator. (This is America! Only acceptable opinions are accepted!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
More than 80 Israeli students have announced their refusal to serve in the Israeli military because of what they call their nation's track-record of oppression in the occupied territories.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Well this is nothing new and in fact, it is becoming more common in Israel. I guess people have already forgotten about the Israeli pilots who refused to attack and bomb civilians back in 2003.

AM - Israeli pilots refuse to attack civilians
Quote:
"We are opposed to carrying out illegal and immoral attack orders," say the pilots, "of the sort Israel carries out in the Territories."

27 Israeli Reserve Pilots Say They Refuse to Bomb Civilians - The New York Times
Quote:
Twenty-seven reserve pilots in the Israeli Air Force presented a signed petition tonight saying that they would not take part in ''illegal and immoral'' strikes in Palestinian areas in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

''We refuse to participate in air force attacks on civilian populations,'' said the letter, which was sent to the head of the air force, Maj. Gen. Dan Halutz. ''We refuse to continue harming innocent civilians.''
The petition is similar to a letter signed by hundreds of reserve soldiers who have pledged not to serve in the West Bank or the Gaza Strip

More recently during Operation Cast Lead, Israel's invasion of Gaza, a new wave of currently serving active veterans have formed a movement called, "Breaking the Silence", where they offer their own testimony of what took place.

Breaking The Silence - Israeli soldiers talk about the occupied territories
Quote:
"You feel like an infantile little kid with a magnifying glass looking at ants, burning them."

Fifty-four testimonies of Israeli combat soldiers who participated in Operation Cast Lead reveal gaps between the reports given by the army following January’s events; the needless destruction of houses; firing phosphorous in populated areas and an atmosphere that encouraged shooting anywhere.
Even former members of the Israeli Knesset are stepping forward and claiming that Israel is going too far and is adopting a disturbing trend. One such prominent former Knesset member is Gideon Levy.

Quote:
It would be better for Israel to summon up the courage to change course while there is still time, investigating the matter genuinely and not by means of the Israel Defense Forces' grotesque inquiries
-Gideon Levy

Quote:
Perhaps next time we set out to wage another vain and miserable war, we will take into account not only the number of fatalities we are likely to sustain, but also the heavy political damage such wars cause.
-Gideon Levy

Disgrace in The Hague - Haaretz - Israel News

If nothing else this should show that Israel is openly wrestling with difficult issues facing its population and its governments actions.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
They are obviously anti-Sem....no, I can't say it....last time I said it I was given an infraction by a pompous moderator. (This is America! Only acceptable opinions are accepted!)
They are no more anti-Sem then a person who thinks things in America need to be fixed is "unpatriotic". A Jew can want a Jewish homeland and want to make sure it's secure yet realize limits and realities

As I said in a post long ago, a true patriot is not one who says "love it or leave it" about their country, but one who loves it so much he/she not only stands by it unabashedly when he/she feels their country is being put upon when it's doing the right thing, but cares deeply enough about it to speak out when he/she thinks they are wrong.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well this is nothing new and in fact, it is becoming more common in Israel. I guess people have already forgotten about the Israeli pilots who refused to attack and bomb civilians back in 2003.

AM - Israeli pilots refuse to attack civilians

27 Israeli Reserve Pilots Say They Refuse to Bomb Civilians - The New York Times

The petition is similar to a letter signed by hundreds of reserve soldiers who have pledged not to serve in the West Bank or the Gaza Strip

More recently during Operation Cast Lead, Israel's invasion of Gaza, a new wave of currently serving active veterans have formed a movement called, "Breaking the Silence", where they offer their own testimony of what took place.

Breaking The Silence - Israeli soldiers talk about the occupied territories

Even former members of the Israeli Knesset are stepping forward and claiming that Israel is going too far and is adopting a disturbing trend. One such prominent former Knesset member is Gideon Levy.

-Gideon Levy

-Gideon Levy

Disgrace in The Hague - Haaretz - Israel News

If nothing else this should show that Israel is openly wrestling with difficult issues facing its population and its governments actions.

I've been hearing about this as well, for just as long.

This shows to me nothing more than a humanistic side to the conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies